Sign in to follow this  
WKK Gimbal

Realism or instant action?

I wonder how patient people are when playing missions...

Do you find transport, navigation and observation boring?

Do you believe a mission could be fun without a shot fired, like the "locate the 3 Shilkas" mission from the campaign?

Do you find instant action to be lame arcade, or simply the best fun?

What is a good lenght of a mission? 10 minutes? 30? 2 days?

GIMBAL:

I have really enjoyed your DEMO missions:tossers and planes. I enjoyed investigating and "abating" the rioting problem.

It may be neat to make some "Middle East" tossers so we can squash some rock-throwing Palastinians. The only thing we need after that is some Israeli addons (tanks and soldiers).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you find transport, navigation and observation boring?

Do you believe a mission could be fun without a shot fired, like the "locate the 3 Shilkas" mission from the campaign?

What is a good lenght of a mission? 10 minutes? 30? 2 days?

<span id='postcolor'>

ANSWERS

1) no

2) yeS

3) yes, instant action is "Delta Force" lame

4) 20 minutes to 1 hour

planning is for my C.O. If i'm the one doing the mission, i dont want to have to plan it out when i'm supposed to be killing things. However, once i get to the mission, i dont mind taking a few hours to settle in and cause some terror. I'm a slow, methodical, devious agent.

I like to guard the base, its much more fun to be right next to the armour, and ammo supply and the enemy comes to you. Quite amazing that there aren't many DEFEND maps, which ever ones there are always have some stupid conunter attack.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barret @ April 19 2002,22:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like to guard the base, its much more fun to be right next to the armour, and ammo supply and the enemy comes to you. Quite amazing that there aren't many DEFEND maps, which ever ones there are always have some stupid conunter attack.<span id='postcolor'>

Then look forward to my UNPROFOR campaign - it'll be 75% defence tounge.gif

http://www.ofp.jolt.co.uk/mods_unprofor.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ April 18 2002,22:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how patient people are when playing missions...

What is a good lenght of a mission? 10 minutes? 30? 2 days?<span id='postcolor'>

1) no

2) yep

3) yep

4) half an hour to an hour (ive never played one longer than an hour)

does this mean u got one in the works?

When will the UNPROFOR addon be ready Gimbal? I wanna wax some lackeys in blue helmets! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

i'm fine with long missions as long as i don't have to drive across the island to a drop off point or fly 3 mins to an airbase at the start of the mission. those aren't really needed because if you want to make it look that way, just put it in the damn intro and make a jeep driving off or chopper flying off when the mission starts

I've played missions where I commanded and never even saw the enemy and loved it. Not too many games that you can say that about where all you do is look at your frag total.

When I first got this game all I tried to do was stay aliive now I don't even like respawn because if your smart you can live thru anything.

I think that if you wanted the instant action you'd probably be off playing unreal tournament. I like having to plan, and then seeing my plan work. If you are told exactly how to go about your objectives, you don't get the satisfaction of a well planned attack.

SO if a mission is about being on patrol, you would not be disappointed if no trouble came your way that particular day?

I'm asking because I'd very much like to make my campaign a full simulation, where one day nothing special happens at all, just trivial patrolling and logistics... but when you least expect it, shit hits the fan with supersonic speed. I feel this will make combat seem more chaotic and nerve breaking, if it does not happen non-stop, but works like a contrast.

Can you relate to that?

sometimes i like missions that don't involve combat but instead build more on character development even though the guy you're talking to will die in the next mission and come back good as new as the one after that. i get tired of going on missions where i know the enemy will just show up in front of me and wait to be gunned down. maybe a few snipers hiding in some bushes waiting for your patrol would be interesting.

sounds a good idea gimbal, im suprised noone else has had that idea... i'll certainly try it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ April 18 2002,16:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how patient people are when playing missions...

What is a good lenght of a mission? 10 minutes? 30? 2 days?<span id='postcolor'>

1) Not really

2) I dont know about everybody else, but I killed everyone on this mission after I took the RPG from the first enemies on the beach, I actually blew up all the shilkas but the game made me do it again in a later mission.

3) Lame

4) I have spent hours on missions.