Sign in to follow this  
RED

Addons in missions ?

Well in missions I usually try to avoid using addons, becasue people might not have all the addons you want to use.

But I think addons add a load to the gameplay and feel of missions (if they are good)

What are your thoughts about using addons in missions ?

RED

If its within reason, i dont mind 3rd party addons. For example, an upcoming mission of mine that takes place on kolgujev is being zipped with two versions of it. One on normal kolgujev with only official addons required, and one on kegetys winter kolgujev with official addons required, and kegetys winter kolgujev v1.2 required. So if the player doesnt want the winter kolgujev addon, they can still play the other version included with no 3rd party stuff.

I think it depends on the addon. If its just a new weapon or something, i wouldnt mind if the author included it in the zip file. I always get turned away from missions people make if they expect me to go to 4 different sites just to get stuff required for their mission that i'll never use otherwise.

i'm fine with addons in missions as long as they include them (if they're not like 5 megs each) in the zip. if i have to hunt down an addon just so little jimmy can have a different flag on his shoulder i skip it.

I'm using no unofficial addon. If mission requires some, I simply don't dowload it. I think Aculaud's way is the best - create two versions, with and without addon.

Yeah I have been including addons with the zip file, thanks for the feedback guys.

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 18 2002,22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example, an upcoming mission of mine that takes place on kolgujev is being zipped with two versions of it. One on normal kolgujev with only official addons required, and one on kegetys winter kolgujev with official addons required, and kegetys winter kolgujev v1.2 required. So if the player doesnt want the winter kolgujev addon, they can still play the other version included with no 3rd party stuff.<span id='postcolor'>

That's the way I think everyone should do if they want to use addons, and that's the way I make my missions.

I don't like unofficial add-ons in missions because most of them don't change anything but the country the guy is from. There is a few add-ons that are nessasary for the mission, like one of mine with the USAF Cessna. But I was reading about one group wanting to have an official stamp (Like OFPinfo) for their add-ons. The add-ons are rated and cannot carry the stamp unless they are USEFUL, accurate and well designed. So the mission should not use add-ons and if one is ABSOLUTLY needed, it should be a good one that carries the stamp. There has been some really bad add-ons and I don't want these on my system because people might put them in multiplayer games to unbalance sides.