Sign in to follow this  
Barely-injured

Badlands and Russians

Hi there....

I am finally getting around to playing the campaign (cant blame me, so many SP missions and all the fun in the editor and I haven't even touched mp yet :D). I am using 1.05 no addons and I am in badlands with the CDF side.

I capture the first two villages fine, and do the optional defend Vyshnoye mission fine. Then I go to the third village Stary Sobor, the attack starts fine enough we destroy the technicals and fight the rest of the chedakies, but suddenly a BTR-90 appears out of nowhere as well as Russian troops and then it is over for us. needless to say this has happened to me more than once. Now I remember in the beginning of the mission someone saying that you should not engage the Russians as they did not engage us yet. But they seem to come out from the middle of Stary sobor without any warning.

Now my question is for people who finished that mission, do you have to fight through the russians ? is there no way to avoid them ?

For one thing I would like to play by the rules for now and then maybe later i will go back and change stuff to get different endings. The other thing is the the russians have us outgunned :rolleyes:.

I suppose i can muster enough power to beat the russians but i would like to know if it is the only way to continue.

Hi!

I have not found another way to complete the mission.

It seems the Russians will attack, whatever you do, so you're going to have to fight them. I recall maybe two BTR-90s and then a couple fo Vodniks there, so quite a tough job, but after a while they scatter around so it'll be easier.

It really doesn't affect the endings, if you beat the Russians here or try to avoid fighting them. In any case they need to be wiped out in this mission in order to capture all the cities.

i usually try to take them out and i have never had any problems with the rest of the campaign or the Badland mission that can be related to taking on the Russians in Badlands. But i have only played on the easier difficulties so far.

oh ok guys thanks....just wanted to make sure that this is the only way, and if it will affect anything.......

Time to build up some force.

Time to build up some force.

It's not too bad after all. Just use the cover of the buildings (in Stary Sobor) while taking out the enemy armour. The city is very broad, so you can sneak into the urban zone before being spotted. After that it should be easy, as long as you don't run out of ammo.

Position your group somewhere around the city to take out enemy infantry. You won't necessarily be needing any extra troops or vehicles - just plenty of RPGs. :)

Edited by Gotcha
Messed up quoting.