Sign in to follow this  
pulseox

Tanks but "no tanks!"

I remember reading in a review that the major thing that bothered the reviewer aboout OFP was the "cumbersome" game interface. I figured what the hell-it's probably just a matter of getting used to it.

But after getting to the Campaign mission where you're the Tank Commander-I think I understand what they were talking about!

I hit F1 and choose target-I pick a target and right click on it-the Locked crosshair appears over the square-then it gets totally wacky! If I choose engage/open fire-nothing happens!

If I hit the left mouse button to fire-the tank just moves to the target! I end up going around in circles trying to figure out how to get a shot off...what am I doing wrong??

There must be a easier way to command the tank.

does it matter if you're in the 3rd person view or the 1st person "Target" view??

Ive re-read the stupid manual 12 times and always end up doing the same thing. Help! mad.gif

Once you choose a target for your gunner, all you need to do is hit the "fire" button.

That is the same button you use to shoot your rifle.

That will make him fire.

You are hitting the wrong buttons.

You do not need to use the radio commands or hit the other mouse button. You hit the mouse button for fire.

But not while your cursor is on the ground, that will make him move. If you put your cursor over the horizon or on the target after having locked a target, it will turn into a fire cursor. Then click left mouse button.

Or you can just hit the keyboard fire key, no matter where your cursor is. I guess this is easier as it doesn't accidentally give a move command.

But I agree it's not always the easiest part wow.gif

If you are commander, have a driver and a gunner:

Tanks can be moved by klicking on the ground where you want to move. You can also click on the map (appears after pressing M).

To select a target(selectable targets appear on little orientation window on top of your screen) click with the right mouse button on it. (Target lock=square over target should appear). If you move the cursor away from the target, it should be the shoot-command target (crosshair). With this, you only need to click left and your gunner will fire. Click right will unlock the target, means you don't aim at one any more.

In a tank, don't forget the gunsight view(V or num0). It's very helpful. With it you can also zoom (num+ and num-).

Hope this helped, soldier

Yeah, it takes a while to get used to it. Remeber that there may be a delay when you press the LMB and when you actually give the fire command if theres a lot of radio chatter going on.

yeah i hate radio chatter. i usually use manual fire when targeting things except for cannon because it takes so damn long for the guys to shut up so i can give the order (fire and target being a priority might be nice)

Ok here comes the tip of the day

when u in the tank battle as a commander u only need 2 (two) buttons

Right Mouse Button and Control!

That's it!

I didn't like tanks at the beginning either, but i like them now very much. I love tank campaign missions. You just need time. smile.gif

Thanks! All those tips were very helpful! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tanks but "no tanks!"<span id='postcolor'>

punny.

i only use right mouse, control, and the get in driver thing since the AI won't do what the hell i tell them to most of the time. "forward" (tank veers off course by 45 degrees and starts heading in random directions)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ April 13 2002,13:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok here comes the tip of the day

when u in the tank battle as a commander u only need 2 (two) buttons

Right Mouse Button and Control!

That's it!<span id='postcolor'>

The TAB key is useful too. Cycles through the targets in sight. Handy if you don't want to look around and right click everything to target it. Also a fast way to get a quick target, fire and target something else. Just make sure the gunner has target in LOS before you fire so you don't waste that round. Being tank commander is one of the best postitions in OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordZach @ April 13 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i only use right mouse, control, and the get in driver thing since the AI won't do what the hell i tell them to most of the time.  "forward" (tank veers off course by 45 degrees and starts heading in random directions)<span id='postcolor'>

The driver tip is a good one. I usually use that one in Red Hammer tank missions cos you imediately start under fire, and unless your the driver your tank will get hit.

Especially useful for rescue sergi mission where you have to get to him in 15 minutes. AI isn't going to drive that fast biggrin.gif