Sign in to follow this  
alswede

.can\'t see where I am on the map

I'm in that lone in the woods campaign and are playing in veteran mode for the first time.I can't see where I am on the map no more.Is it meant to be like that and if that is the case where can I learn to navigate using the compass.I must be able to spot where I am.Is that possible with only the compass?

Al

That's the way it is in Veteran mode. Look for terrain features and compare them to the map. It takes a bit of practice, but it is certainly possible. Quite fun too, in my opinion.

Is there any way I can tell where I am even if I lost it during panic escapes from people that are trying to waste me or something like that?Thank's in advance

Al

(Edited by alswede at 10:28 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)

You have to try and triangulate like you would irl...

i.e. point yrself at a prominant landmark and check your bearing...identify the landmark on the map...do the same for another and yr sorted.

Occasionally you'll f*** up but you'll come across a road or something that shouldn't be there and you can sort yourself out.

I think the only mission I went wrong on was the one after montignac must fall (where you run into the woods to escape the hind and have to change your destination a couple of times (to the different evac points).

After the nightmarish navigation in "B17 II: The Mighty Eight" I find that using the map in OFP is pure joy.

The navigation is like in real life. If you are on open field, take a groop of trees or better a house, or village as landmark. Then point the "visor" of your compass at your landmark and remember the direction and the guessed distance. When you compare this data with your other surroundings, you should be able to find your position on the map. With a little bit practise it becomes easier!

When running through the forrest on the escape from enemys the first rule is: Get away from any threat!

Then find cover and try to find the position on the map, where you were forced to flee. If you ran southward try to reproduce your way on the map by landmarks and how described above.

The best thing is always to go straight into one direction, then it`s easier to navigate at all wink.gif

Thanks a lot for the lesson mates I think I'll find my ways now.

Al

If you are in control of another soldier, you can cheat a little bit, get the soldier to return to formation ( menus 1, 1), then give him the report status command (menu 5, 5), and he'll give you his position, and a small icon will appear on the map.

As that soldier is standing beside you, that is a good and quick way to see where you are.

If you don't have a soldier to command, then you have to do what everyone else has suggested and keep track of the terrain, roads, landmarks etc. The best way I have found, is take a good look at the map before you start the mission, so you can see exactly where you start, which direction your objective is etc etc. that makes it considerably easier to re-orientate yourself if you do get confused during the mission.

If you can't do either of the above, and there are enemies around, you can use them to workout where you are. ie use your Target ID key, find a enemy, and hit that key, if it was an enemy that was unreported, you will hear a radio call from yourself reporting that enemy, that enemy will now get a icon on the map. so that will help you pinpoint where you are.

It's ironic really, that if you see an enemy you can use the radio to report his position? but there is no equipment that you have which can report your own (until you get into later missions, then some do give you a device that keeps track of your grid reference, you see this when in map mode if you have it.)

Lastly if there is a armoured unit around, get in it, and on the map you'll get a box [ ] with vertical and horizontal lines that traverse the whole map, where they intersect is where you are.

Hope some of that info is helpful.

Cya

Narler

actually i think you can find out what grid you are in in veteran mode. i do believe there is a little device thing behind teh note book (on the map screen). it displays your grid location. although you do have to move the notebook to see it.

Thank's Narler for the usefull inf.Well thank's everybody for that matter.

Al

and dont forget to look at your compass every fes sec on those frantic runs (so u can still know your general postion after u stoped running and looked in the map again).