Sign in to follow this  
NOLIMITSOLDIER

New soundpack is it good?

Fighter, our "informer" smile.gif, informed us today about a website which is about sounds in OFP. You can download there also Wright's soundmod v.9-2. A link to it is http://students.washington.edu/gw2001. If you can't get there, try it across links at http://www.operation-flashpoint.de/news.php.

Hello!

I send you some another info about the sounds to OFP. Wright's soundmod v.9 can be downloaded at DANBAT website. Then, I downloaded Jim's soundpack from OFP.cz. I tested it last night and compare them. I have to say, that Wright's soundmod v.9 is better. Its sounds are more clear and massive (especially at infrantry weapons- M16, AK74, etc.). I don't how it is real because I have never hear those sounds in reality but I think the atmosphere of the game is more important that absolute reality. The both soundmods are installed by the same way, Wright's soundmod is just little bigger

Can u guyz test it i want to know if its better then satchels dynamic sound pack thanx

Actually I did. I tried Wright's sound mod. Nothing spectacular. He changed bullet ricochet sounds that are hardly an improvement. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

BTW I don't see a reason why people change vehicle engine sounds. I've played this game for a few months, and I can recognize any vehicle merely based on its sound. Sure engine sounds aren't super realistic, but they are certainly not intolerable either.

Well, jim's sounds mod is really bad with the installation and has a lot of bugs, but it is still very realistic compare to ofp's official sounds. Good job jim, wink.gif

Hey fellas,

I'm not back for good but I was able to get online today and a friend notified me of this post. First of all let me say that this pack wasn't meant for release yet, as it was still going through bug testing in my clan. But it was up at my site so my fault there.

As far as what sounds I changed, basically all the sounds have been changed from original, aside from some background noises like birds etc. A lot of the engine sounds in this version however are back to the originals because no one has yet been able to get them sounding any better imho.

The ricochet sounds were taken from Satchel's DR mod, but due to original config usage they might sound a little different.

Everything else is either taken from other soundpacks or engineered by me.

I don't know if this is ready for a major release but if anyone wants to test it out and let me know any suggestions ect. I would love to hear them. I won't be online much to work on sounds but if there is demand I can try to get it in final working order soon. Let me know what you guys think.

-Wright

ok Advocatexxx, I figured that since you gave my (latest?) soundpack a short review I would download yours and give it a run. Overall it was a little better than Jim's soundpack but it didn't seem like you changed very many sounds. It sounded like you added some reverb to a couple of the weapon sounds, but many of the explosions and other sounds seemed to be the old standbys. I also noticed a bug where the american fighter boat didn't have any engine sounds. I must admit that the sound of the m60 tank firing though was well done. All in all a good first effort but I would like to see it fleshed out quite a bit more, and I think that perhaps we'd better leave it up to the public to decide who's pack is really "better." wink.gif

I was just yanking his chain Wright.  I only changed those sounds which I personally considered to be quite unrealistic.

Here is a list of those I changed:

- M16/M16 Burst, XM Carbine Single Shot (full auto still has the original sounds)

- AK47/AK47 Burs/AK47 Full Auto, as well as all AK74 sounds

- M21 sound

- Hand Grenade Explosion sound.

- AT6/Rocket impact sound

- M60 Machine Gun

- M2 Machine Gun

- All tank cannon sounds (diverse sounds for two groups - M60/T55 and T72/T80/M1A1)

- Rocket Launch Sound (LAW/Carl Gustav/RPG/AT4/Strela/Stinger)

- A10 Engine Sound (much more realistic and louder)

- A10 Cannon Sound

- Cannon Sound (Shilka/Vulcan/Chopper Cannon)

- Thunder sounds enhanced during storms (thunders are more realistic and much longer in duration)

Fighter boat ?  Hmmm.. I haven't touched the boat sounds, and when I play the game, the boat engine works just fine...

I did however spend time on the A-10/Su25 sounds to make sure they sound a lot more realistic.

I also realized we both took the Tank Gun sounds from Ghost Recon  biggrin.gif

I tried this Jim's soundpack. I must say the sounds are good, but there's too many bugs, so i still have original sounds. I also don't like edited config. That's why i don't like satchel's soundpack.

I can't download Wright's soundpack because his site doesn't work for me. Are there any other mirrors?

I tested advocatexxx soundmod. Not too many sounds changed and i like that. I don't like someone messing with birds and tank engine sounds because i think that engine sounds are just OK. Cannon and plane sounds are nice and there's no new bugs. smile.gif

I'll keep testing it. smile.gif

My view on Wrights sounds

I really liked the Dragunov sound!

Unfortunally thats about it, on the bright side.

I really enjoy anti tank fighting, as an infantry, in OFP, so my atention immediatly went to LAW and CG. What a dissapointment. Far from reality and tecnically wrong, since the sound is to loong and slow.

Reloading of LAW, original sound... (see link about JIM view)

OK I know alot like to play Sniper...

M21. This sound is recording from an indoor shootingrange or something. Ground hits with Assault rifles are like a hollywood movie, with ziing, ziinng sounds...

And yes, as posted all the good stuff from the Tanks/BMP engine sounds are original. On this point I disagree completely with a previous poster who says the sounds in OFP a most real of all packages. I think those who have been inside and outside a BMP (or the bigger engine in MT-LB).

The 30 mm canon among other weapons also sound too slow. Tecnically wrong, even though it sound cool.

Below is link regarding JIMS and AdvocateXXX

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....9;st=10

But it all comes down to taste. I can understand why many enjoy the Wrights sound. The majority of people do not have other reference to these sound other than that Hollywood provide.

BTW I have not noticed any buggs on any of these three packs. Please provide more detail about those findings.