Sign in to follow this  
zerothreat

Aircraft take-offs and the Insurmountable AI

It seems the AI refuses/ignores almost any command issued to it while it is in the auto-piloting mode of taking off from an airstrip. I've tied some commands to the radio (disableAI move, getOut, engineOn false, etc)... I can spam these with the radio commands and it takes a moment for them to get through, kind of like when the AI is in between certain parts of it's auto-piloting mode. I'm still looking into this and hoping that someone might have some answers. That auto-pilot take-off is a beast.

Setting the fuel to 0 works very well because it's a command directed toward the vehicle itself, but i'd like to keep the plane moving to a certain part of the airstrip to park it, instead of it getting 0 fuel, refueling and then attempting to taxi and take off again.

About to say F it and use setPos... what do you guys think?

AI RULE!

Yeh, they are near impossible to stop when they are on the ground.

I use the setfuel myself.

enableSimulation could do the trick although it may look a bit "ugly" but surely worth a try.

Did a quick test in editor just to see. Here's the setup:

- Player as Inf, just as spectator

- F-16 AI placed at Hangars, named "f16"

- Small trigger (10x10, circle) activated by everyone, position on taxiway just before runway. In the on activation line "f16 enableSimulation false".

- Another trigger Radio Bravo (so i can control it) with "f16 enableSimulation true" in it's on activation.

As soon the plane hit the trigger it stopped. Ugly thing is, it doesn't slow down but comes to a immediate stop. Engines keep runnin (benefit against the setfuel method where engines turn off).

After re-enabling Simulation, the plane moved along just as nothing happened. Looks also a bit weird since it looks like a paused video just resumed playing.

Note that this also effects planes mid-flight, so you can stick a plane in the flight and keep it stationary mid-air. :D

hey thanks, i think that simulation method will come in handy. as gnat said, i myself have also just resorted to the 0 fuel method. however, one thing that i did discover with testing is that you -can- issue a disableAI "MOVE" on the plane and then order the pilot to get out. However, I was unable to enableAI "MOVE" once he was out of the plane. He totally refused to get back in. But I'm sure it's not a problem to have a few pilots hanging around to assign as new pilots to the aircraft. This method might be helpful to those seeking a 'land and park' scenario with their planes.