Sign in to follow this  
callihn

Server not working as expected

I have searched for hours now and everything seems to be right, but when I try to start the server, nothing works as expected.

All files are located in:

D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2server.exe

Command line from desktop shortcut:

"D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2server.exe" -config=server.cfg -cfg=arma2.cfg -profiles=default.arma2.profile - bepath="D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\BattlEye" -mod=@duala;@FDF;@panthera

server.cfg file:

// Passwords

passwordAdmin ="My Admin Password";		// Admin password

// password =" ";			// Password to join the server, uncomment for private server.

// Settings

hostname="My server name";

maxPlayers="8";

motd[]={
"","","","","","","","","","",
"Welcome",
"The rules are simple:",
"No team killing!",
"No objective snatching!",
"No excessive base camping!",
"No bickering!",
"ALL Admin decisions are FINAL."
};

motdInterval="5";

voteThreshold="0.51";

voteMissionPlayers="1";

reportingIP="arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";

disableVoN="0";

vonCodecQuality="7";

persistent="1"; 

timeStampFormat="short"; 

logFile="server_console.log";

kickduplicate="1";

verifySignatures="1";

doubleIdDetected="kick (_this select 0)";

onHackedData="kick (_this select 0)";

onUnsignedData="kick (_this select 0)";

onDifferentData="kick (_this select 0)";

BattlEye="1";

arma2.cfg:

adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=48387;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
MinBandwidth=553000;
MaxBandwidth=682000;
MaxMsgSend=128;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSend=0.0049999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=553000;
Windowed=0;

default.arma2.profile:

/*
Example ArmA2Profile configuration file
by [KH]Jman, 1st July 2009.  http://www.kellys-heroes.eu 
*/

class Difficulties
{
class Recruit
{
class Flags
{

Armor=1;		// Gives you improved body armor, tank armor etc
FriendlyTag=1;		// Displays information on friendly units. ONLY WORKS WITH 'Weaponcursor=0', eg crosshair on.
EnemyTag=1;		// Displays information on enemy units
HUD=1;			// Shows you leaders location and your position in formation
HUDPerm=1;		// Shows HUD permanently
HUDWp=1;		// Shows Waypoints right after they're ordered to you
HUDWpPerm=1;		// Shows Waypoints permanently
WeaponCursor=1;		// Shows the crosshair for your weapon
AutoAim=1;		// Enables auto aim when you're not looking through your weapon's scope. Also works with crosshair off
AutoGuideAT=1;		// AT missiles will be automatically guided to their target. If 0, player has to lock onto the target.
3rdPersonView=1;	// This turns 3rd(third) person view and group leader view on or off. Please never talk of this as "3D view" - ArmA is not an arcade game !
ClockIndicator=1;	// Displays the clock indicator on the left of your screen when giving/receiving orders like "At 11 o'clock, enemy man at 200 meters"
Map=1;			// Shows symbols for all objects known to your gruop on the map. This will NOT disable the map itself !
Tracers=0;		// Displays tracers even of small arms that in real life would not have tracers
AutoSpot=1;		// If you're close enough to an enemy, you'll report it without right-clicking
UltraAI=0;		// Enables super AI, hear and see more and increased tactics. This is for both friendly and enemy sides.
DeathMessages=1;	// Displays death messages i.e. playerA kill playerB
NetStats=1;		// Displays score board
VonID=1;		// Displays VON player name in window

};
// These are the skills. Value may range from 0.000000 to 1.000000
skillFriendly=0.34999999;
skillEnemy=0.34999999;
precisionFriendly=0.20;
precisionEnemy=0.20;
};

class Regular
{
class Flags
{
Armor=1;
FriendlyTag=1;
EnemyTag=1;
HUD=1;
HUDPerm=1;
HUDWp=1;
HUDWpPerm=1;
WeaponCursor=1;
AutoAim=0;
AutoGuideAT=1;
3rdPersonView=1;
ClockIndicator=1;
Map=1;
Tracers=0;
AutoSpot=1;
UltraAI=0;
DeathMessages=1;	
NetStats=1;		
VonID=1;		
};
skillFriendly=0.44999999;
skillEnemy=0.44999999;
precisionFriendly=0.35;
precisionEnemy=0.35;
};
class Veteran
{
class Flags
{
Armor=1;
FriendlyTag=1;
EnemyTag=1;
HUD=1;
HUDPerm=1;
HUDWp=1;
HUDWpPerm=1;
WeaponCursor=1;
AutoAim=0;
AutoGuideAT=1;
3rdPersonView=1;
ClockIndicator=1;
Map=1;
Tracers=0;
AutoSpot=1;
UltraAI=0;
DeathMessages=1;	
NetStats=1;		
VonID=1;		
};
skillFriendly=0.74999999;
skillEnemy=0.74999999;
precisionFriendly=0.75;
precisionEnemy=0.75;
};
class Expert
{
class Flags
{
Armor=1;
FriendlyTag=1;
EnemyTag=1;
HUD=1;
HUDPerm=1;
HUDWp=1;
HUDWpPerm=1;
WeaponCursor=1;
AutoAim=0;
AutoGuideAT=1;
3rdPersonView=1;
ClockIndicator=1;
Map=1;
Tracers=0;
AutoSpot=1;
UltraAI=0;
DeathMessages=1;	
NetStats=1;		
VonID=1;		
};
skillFriendly=0.94999999;
skillEnemy=0.94999999;
precisionFriendly=0.95;
precisionEnemy=0.95;
};
};

// Sets the server default view distance.
// Render distance is 3/4 of view distance - for 2000 metres, objects will be render up to 1500 metres
// This maybe overidden by the mission 
viewDistance=1600;

// Sets the server default terrain quality. Very High:10, Low:50
// This maybe overidden by the mission 
terrainGrid=50;

// EOF

When I try to start the server it starts, however it also says "BattlEye initialization failed" and adding -bepath="D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\BattlEye\" doesn't change that, although that's where it is. Also, it ignores server.cfg as far as hostname and it ignores the -mod line since none of those islands are available after loging in as admin and choosing missions and it creates no files or logs.

Edited by callihn
Update

Try -bepath instead of - bepath (loose the space). If that doesn't help, try completely without BE to try to narrow it down. Too lazy to bughunt other peoples configs right now, but as I recall we had some problems ourselves :)

For info, this is my own shortcut (not using BE for local dedi testing):

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2server.exe" -cfg=basic.cfg -config=server.cfg "-profiles=C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Server" -name=Server -mod=beta

With "double profiles" (no idea why), and some undeletable files (also no idea why) - but it works:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Server\users\server\Server.ArmA2Profile

Edited by CarlGustaffa

It starts, but without BE, I'll try it without the space, but most likely that was just a forum typo, will see, it starts fine with BE if I just double click the .exe file in the Arma 2 folder, but not from a shortcut located anywhere, I even tried running a .bat file that would cd into the directory and it still errors when starting BE, weird.

EDIT:

Tested minus the space, no difference, I'm starting to think it's poorly coded and just cant deal with things not being on C:\.

BE still fails to start and the server seems to be OK other than that and the fact that it ignores the hostname in the server.cfg, think I'll change that to name and see if that fixes it, not sure what to do about the BE.

EDIT2:

Well I figured out it only appeared to start, it actually dies fairly quickly, but runs fine without BE. It also starts fine with BE if I just double click on the .exe instead of starting it with the shortcut, but of course then it didn't use any of the configs or profiles or load any mods.

Edited by callihn

Figured out that it starts OK if I remove this:

-profiles=default.arma2.profile

And one of the devs let me know that currently -bepath doesn't work with "", which means it can't be used with a path containing spaces but that it shouldn't be required anyway unless your running multiple servers.

Now the question is, why does the server on run on the LAN?

Edited by callihn

-profiles and -BEpath both don't work with "" after the =. You can however put "" around the whole option, e.g. "-BEpath=[path]", to specify a path containing spaces.

Maybe your server fails to create the profiles folder (default.arma2.profile)? Maybe try to use a different folder name and without dots?

I don't know, I was never told to make such a folder, I was told to make a file, I'm not trying to invent the wheel here, I'm only following instructions found in the wiki and/or various posts for running a server and BE will not run with that line, I'm still not sure of the reason for it, at this point I'm not sure why the server is only showing in my lan list either, along with issues involved in mission editing it all becomes a little too much when you have other things to do as well, hence the reason I posted and asked for help, obviously given enough time and trial and error one can figure anything out, however if I wanted to go that route I wouldn't need to post. ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Turned out that the problem was caused by having addons in the main addon folder and/or having unsigned addons.

Edited by callihn

Hi callihn,

Glad you worked out your problems.

Request:

1) Did you change any settings (configs) from your original post ? Could you please post what you have now that is working in the same manner as the original post.

2) Did you do any of the suggestions that the other posters suggested eg:

$able:

-profiles and -BEpath both don't work with "" after the =. You can however put "" around the whole option, e.g. "-BEpath=[path]", to specify a path containing spaces.

Maybe your server fails to create the profiles folder (default.arma2.profile)? Maybe try to use a different folder name and without dots?

3)Very puzzled by your last post when you say "having addons in the main addon folder and/or having unsigned addons" was it both ? or just one of them or not sure ? What was in the addons folder ? original or addons you added ?

4)To keep it short what did you visually change from your original post (plus what suggestions you applied from posters that you kept?) to get up and running. This will help the rest of the forum members who read this and can have an outline or template so to speak.

Edited by luap

Hi callihn,

Glad you worked out your problems.

Request:

1) Did you change any settings (configs) from your original post ? Could you please post what you have now that is working in the same manner as the original post.

2) Did you do any of the suggestions that the other posters suggested eg:

3)Very puzzled by your last post when you say "having addons in the main addon folder and/or having unsigned addons" was it both ? or just one of them or not sure ? What was in the addons folder ? original or addons you added ?

4)To keep it short what did you visually change from your original post (plus what suggestions you applied from posters that you kept?) to get up and running. This will help the rest of the forum members who read this and can have an outline or template so to speak.

1. All of those settings were not needed to begin with in my case. I'm using this curently though I haven't tested the -host field.

"D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2server.exe" -config=server.cfg -cfg=arma2.cfg -noPause -window -ranking=ranking.txt -world=Chernarus

2. No, I do not believe that those suggestions did not solve the primary issue at hand.

3. Not quite sure I had an unsigned addon in there, removing it solved my problem and since I am not a beta tester for BIS I left it at that.

4. See 1-3 above.

Edited by callihn