Sign in to follow this  
past caring

Thinking of getting the game....but

....the thing is I am only interested in playing the main/grand campaign game - not multiplayer or creating my own user campaigns. That's not meant as any offense to people who enjoy multiplayer - I'd probably do it if I had the time. So, the difficulty is that whilst I read some great reviews when the game came out, one of the things that was common across those reviews was how the main campaign was really buggy - the AI not recognising that you'd met triggers/objectives and so not letting you progress in the campaign. I can see there have been a number of patches since then, so I'm wondering how far that issue has been fixed/addressed? As I hope I've explained above - I just don't have the time for multiplayer/editing, so being able to play the grand campaign is make or break for me.

Thanks in advance for your replies/help and ......errr...... hello all.

This question has been asked - and answered countless times in the past. Please search or browse the forums before asking the same question over and over again.

The 'bad' reviews are based on v1.0, or even worse, preview versions. Since then a lot of issues have been resolved including the campaign.

Besides the original campaign there are also countless community created missions and campaigns available wich keep you busy. :)

Hi and welcome,

Well, I haven't tried the old campaign again to see if its better with the patches but it was playable though I did have to restart one or two missions because it got stuck somewhere. (Thats an inherent problem with such a huge and open game as this)

The new (short) campaign EagleWing is better but also a bit simpler.

To be honest I think you should get it (biased) as its quite cheap now. Once you've played it a bit you may discover the amazing experience of playing online and you'll probably end up creating your own missions/campaigns ;)

Thanks - will get it. And yes, I may well get into multiplayer etc. - but that's always come as a development for me if I enjoy the main game itself (the experience of getting killed/shot/generally mauled and then told I suck dog dick by some snotty 13 year old hasn't always made for an enjoyable multiplayer experience in the past, if truth be told, but I live in hope....;) )

Please search or browse the forums before asking the same question over and over again.

Eh? - that was my first post. And as it happens I did precisely what you suggested before posting - seaching under the terms "Campaign fixed", "Has the campaign game been fixed?" "Campaign bugs" brings up nothing useful.

told I suck dog dick by some snotty 13 year old hasn't always made for an enjoyable multiplayer experience in the past, if truth be told, but I live in hope....;) )

Well, this game generally has a more mature player base so you may get told you suck dog dick by a 50 year old ;)

But seriously I think people will be more willing to help and guide you if you are willing to improve.

Edited by EDcase

I've never experienced any responses like that in Arma or Arma2 multiplayer, unlike some other games. One of the big benefits is a mature and (usually) tolerant community. I say usually as I am not the best of players and have my bad/drunk days. . . . so criticism is usually objective and deserved.

Best to start off saying you are new to the game when joining a server, and maybe get a buddy to follow or join a team to get experience. You won't regret it, and with even a moderately populated coop server you will have a blast.

Earlier in the week two of us human players on our coop server each took an 8 man AI squad by blackhawk to an objective (a town) on Isla Duala (domination game type). On landing we were engaged by a patrolling chopper which our AIs quickly neutralised. He took his team and recc'd the town while I took position for a frontal assault. He spotted enemy arty and called in our guns to take it out, but was spotted during the barrage and most of his team wiped out. My team responded and took out a couple of vehicles forcing two tanks back into the town, but they regrouped and called in air support. As we have not made it to the cover of the town it was then curtains for us. After two hours is was bedtime.

You will get many experiences like that once you get into games.

Eh? - that was my first post. And as it happens I did precisely what you suggested before posting - seaching under the terms "Campaign fixed", "Has the campaign game been fixed?" "Campaign bugs" brings up nothing useful.

That's why I said searching or browsing the forums. ;)

Below are three threads created/updated in the past 6 weeks about the same question:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93315

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=94551

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93405

Also if you take a look at the official missions thread it gives you a good idea about current missions/campaign problems. :)

I just don't have the time for multiplayer/editing, so being able to play the grand campaign is make or break for me.

Mmm dont think so, user made missions / campaigns are released on a daily basis, just download for free n youre ready to go. ;)

Yeah, just play the regular campaign, and if it doesn't suit you, download one of the many custom campaigns created by the community and available for free. Besides the official campaign, there are a lot of single player campaigns (and single missions) out there :)

Stressing the word "lots" here. The official campaign(s) are just a very small part of this game. Check this forums User Missions thread and keep an eye (everyday like the newspaper) on armaholic.com wich shows you what new stuff is released. They also have a download section with all missions created and addons etc etc.

Also, don't overlook the editor, it's very easy to whip something together quickly. I made a tank vs tank mission in like 5-10 mins and a sniper mission in 5 mins. It's kinda like playing in a sandbox. :)

Again... then this game isn't for you.

The campaign doesn't work.

Maybe try later, or just get Dragon Rising or other similar game.

I'd advise you to browse the many forums and see what you can find, taking advice from people that love the game can only lead to disappointment if their views and goals do not match your own. I learned that they hard way with another game. Time and money I'll never get back.

I don't care for single player games at all, personally, but I do know that this community puts out a great deal of excellent content that is free to use. That may sway your opinion or not, but it is true.