Sign in to follow this  
Guest Titanium

What is it that is so hard for people to learnto..

Guest Titanium

Lately I've been notcing in the OFP missions forum. and even in MP games, that not a lot of people can fly!  Some think they can and crash, then get all pissed, others wont fly cause they say they dont know how. I picked up on how to fly withing 3 days of first starting to fly choppers. and about 4 days to learn how to fly planes well.  What is it that people find so hard to pilot?  And I really dont see why a lot of people NEED gunners, personnaly i HAVE to manual fire.  I don't like someone firing for me.

to the flying, it's fucking easy (i love helis), but what i couldn't really manage was the f------ a-10 because the gun aims too high. guys, it's really easy to fly. and a lot of fun.

as to the gunner, in jeeps n boats it's quite good to have a gunner. in the uh-60 mg too.

in mi-24 for example it depends. but isn't it better, if you've got a lot of infantry or small vehicles that there'a an intelligent gunner?

and it's much more fun together in a plane (not for those in the cargo) than playing knight all alone.

well, some ppl are not used to praticing at this level i guess. for me, i've been flight seem junky since early teens so no prob, except for cessna b4 1.46 patch.

but some ppl just started out in this sim genre and has hard time grasping. when i first flew chopper i was really bad. but over time, i practiced and now i seldom crash

For me it took about a month to really be efficent at flying choopers and the cessna and the su. But i can fly the A10 and land but i still sometimes have some diffecultly. But i love to fly.

I wish there was more things to fly.

Question anyone: I never played in multiplayer, how do you go about playing.

Cheers

The OFP Blackhawk is my bird. I love it. Not as realistic as in Longbow 2 sad.gif but much, much prettier smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And I really dont see why a lot of people NEED gunners, personnaly i HAVE to manual fire. I don't like someone firing for me.<span id='postcolor'>

And most of the time they are lagged out, firing 20 secs after enemy has crossed the line of fire for the pilot biggrin.gif

Or not firing at all...

Like when I was in a tank (T72), he kept swirling the turret. I said "Can you shoot? Otherwise GET OUT!" Ok, he stayed... Then I heard engine sound. I though, "Oh SHIT, Abrams 12 oclock!", came out from the trees, just 50 m in front. FIRE FIRE FIRE! He kept swirling the turret... 10m... FIRE!!!!! Kept aiming to the side... BANG!CRASH! The abrams drove right into me, I started backing up really fast. FIRE GODDAMMIT! No he was aiming backwards, saying "Where?"... Oh God... The second after that we where toast of course...

I dont like someone firing for me either, whether it be a chopper or tank biggrin.gif

Btw, a reason for it being so hard to fly is that you look in the direction where you are aiming. this makes it very hard to for instance target things specifically since its move mouse and right click if I remember correctly, but you also fly in that direction... Its very hard to engage ground targets without being at risk of crashing. Yesterday I flew into a forrest when trying to target and shoot a moving shilka... 1m error, CRASH! smile.gif

It sounds to me like a lot of you are using the cockpit view. Why? third person is soooooooooooooooo much easier when flying something! I learned to fly the day i started trying with choppers, and it took maybe a little longer with planes. You wont catch me fumbling to use my 30mm on the a10 very often, but i still fly like a pro. Its all about the third person.

The only thing that requires little practise are landings within a obstructed area such as a city or hovering w/o "auto hover".

Also fast landings require practise, and are best achived by doing a sharp 180° turn as you are over the landing zone, this cuts down the airspeed to "0". At the same time reducing collective will make you land extremely fast.

For the hovering, it isn´t difficult to get into one, but it is difficult to stay hovering over a certain spot, if i´m not doing any input when in a hover i find myself flying (mostly) backwards with 120 mp/h and more soon biggrin.gif, this especially happens on the desert island map.

I think this is more of a bug than realism, but requires on the other hand practise to be avoided and thats good.

Flying. Easy. Hardly use external view. Maybe for landings but not much at all. Didn't take long to work it all out.

I love choppers in OFP. I'm very good in controlling them. I can destroy a T80 with only one TOW or hellfire. I don't have any problems with landing either. Soooo easy to land and fly with choppers or planes. A10 is the most simple aircraft to fly in the game. smile.gif

I like the Su-25, with the turbojet engines biggrin.gif

I'm also working on a site dedicated to the fixed wing aircraft in OFP, look out for it wink.gif

Flying is easy with a joystick in flashpoint. Landing is no problem with a helicopter, don't need auto-hover. It's really fun flying 5m over ground and hunting tanks.

It's not that hard to fly a plane, just a little harder to fly at night. With a bit of practice you can dogfight (it was fun, did it with a friend).

I think it's less that they're hard to fly and more that those that have problems tend to whine about it a lot.

I dont particularly like the fixed wing aircraft. I find they handle poorly and are overly sensitive.

I do like the helicopters though and have gotten quite good at flying them. Now I want to try my hand at transport pilot in an MP game. Maybe tonight.

Im some what of a flight sim junky too, not to mention I would fly around malden with the blackhawk every day in the demo. Choppers in ofp are easy as hell to fly I wish they were more like FS2002. I dont fly with gunners its just dumb. Nothing pisses me off more than when I line my cannon up and get back into the pilot seat to find out some tard is now in the gunner seat and fucked my cannon alignment up. I get pissed and tell them to get out and if they dont I just leave it there becuase im better of on the ground than with a gunner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ April 07 2002,22:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can destroy a T80 with only one TOW or hellfire.<span id='postcolor'>

How are you doing this. I have extended armor turned off, and it took me 3 hellfires. I hit it from three different angles.

I find a good test to see if your a good HELO pilot is to come in fast with a Black Hawk flare up, hover over the castle on everon, and put a team of soldiers on the roof. If your good you can have a 6 man team safly on the roof in about 10 seconds.

Ha! Can anyone DRIVE!? The number of times Ive joined a server only to die due to some fool trying to ram us through a wall. "Ok Alpha SLOWLY this time, ARRGHH!!!!" (smashes into wire and we both fall out dead.) And my friend chris he ALWAYS does the impossible and breaks the steering column. U can get in the vehicle but it wont turn!

How can you NOT? know how to fly the 1st thing i learned in ofp was using stuff i started with driving jeeps and cars and trucks then the helis got good at that in 2 day got use to fast landing in 2 weeks and then the tanks and then the weapons and then the tactics like making plans and then we got the #1 thing we all should learn is team work! me i love helis my fav is the ah-64 i can fly at about 5 m with that i can fly at 1 with the ohbj-64 at 200 once flew a chinkhook at 1 at the speed of 300 the only time's i crash is Shot down or flying too low and hit a tree or something i'm going to start making a OFP traing class about stuff all newbies should take it if i erver get around to making it or if some one else already made it any way good bye!

Wow, Im hearin all these guys with the "Im a badass pilot" stuff, but Im not seein all that much skill in MP. confused.gif

Fly..yes, Land...no wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 08 2002,02:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fly..yes, Land...no wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

you are definitely an amphibious guy.... smile.gif

LOL

Personnally i think plane are really bad for OPF, i tried once in MP and i dont think it can be very efficient and multi-role, unlike the chopper:

-hehe i ve begin to do somthg special in MP, use the gun alone (in chopper).

I first go as gunner and set the gun at the range it can fire under the area of vision odf the pilot, then i exit and re-enter as pilot, manual fire go smile.gif .

==> that's really terrific for other ppl that try to kill u with rocket to be shoot down by an alone guys.

-Second efficient tactic:

air combat, ignore the plane they are mostly a treat for tank not for you (firing them or if they fire u is a waste of ammo).

chopper vs chopper: be always a little higher than the target (all the chopper weapon dont have any upper angle even the UH60)... the higher wins smile.gif Try to turn with the noose down u will only loose 70% of your speed, then tail him and kill him when he is at the middle of a corner (the lowest speed is there aim directly).

-i configured my joystick (sidewinderforce feedback2 with full force feedback activated (OPF really lack of feedback))to flight in chopper: see that

button1= fire

button2= zoomin

button3= nextweapon

button4= next target

button5 alt+ctrl = go down (i use the siderwindercentral profile for this thing becse the joystick lever is a shame to use)

button6 : =go up (same as below)

button7 centerview

button8 Del+"delay 500ms"+2 (an easy trick to target quickly the soldier with a less use of the keyboard)

-For me a good training in piloting is to do the SP mission ground attack and ground attackII  (for advanced player i say to you try to play Airwolf mission) in theese condition:

u try to do the best time

u only use the gun

u cant get under 50meter

u go alone for targeting (kill your teammate at the beginning or send him to hell)

==> Last night we play 7 maps with chopper and strangely i stay the only remaining chopper in 5 of them (note: i dont do Reskill nor baseraping... it's not fun to be credited of a machine kill if u shoot an empty vehicule, the harder the better).

I don't have any problems with flying the choppers or the fixed-wing planes. With choppers I just keep my left hand on the PageUp-PageDown buttons to be able to climb and descend fast and I do the maneuvering and stuff with my right hand, namely with the mouse. For quick stops, I hit 'auto hover' and make a 180 degree turn. It usually reduces the airspeed to 10 kmph or less within 5 seconds.

By the way, the Hind does make for a great piece of 'mobile artillery'. Just set it up so it overlooks the target area, exit and enter as gunner and blast away. The moveable 30mm cannon is great.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 08 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ April 07 2002,22wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can destroy a T80 with only one TOW or hellfire.<span id='postcolor'>

How are you doing this. I have extended armor turned off, and it took me 3 hellfires. I hit it from three different angles.<span id='postcolor'>

It takes three hellfires if you're targeting into its turret. Hellfire must hit its back. It'll explode after a few seconds. It always work. It's not hard. Not at all. The best thing is that i can destroy a T80 with a single hellfire in MP too. They're all saying WTF. biggrin.gif Afcourse it's a little harder in MP because of the lags, especially in a Cobra. Apache targeting seems to be a little better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 08 2002,02:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow, Im hearin all these guys with the "Im a badass pilot" stuff, but Im not seein all that much skill in MP.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well I don't behave like this. There can't be much that is more embarrassing than boasting how good you are only for you to get knocked out of the sky. I would endever not to boast but just keep to the mission and the cause.

I like piloting the Mi17 better than the Hind. The Mi17 has many rockets with which to shower the target area with. Its a slow chopper but its better than the Hind because the Hind AT missiles are useless just about and the rockets are too few and the cannon is well not too strong but still good. Maybe I just need to try it out more.

The American choppers I like the view from the Cobra better but I ain't really tried them ones out to the fullest, nor have I done that with the Russian choppers. I got through the Single mission Ground Attack and survived the first game of Ground Attack 2 but failed it. Only played it once.