Sign in to follow this  
sk065

MP problems

Hi all

I wonder if someone can help. I'm having a little trouble connecting to MP games.

When I try to connect to a server i have to download the mission from the server. i.e "retrieving" However this takes a very long time. When I everntually connect I have a red (or yellow) broken chain and the bottom right of my screen and everything is laggy.

Sometimes I dont even get to that stage and i am "waiting for the host" until i eventually get bored and quit. MP is just not working for me at all.

I have the latest hardware and it runs smoothly in SP at very high settings.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not to insult your intelligence.

First off are you picking a server with a low ping?

Alot of the time you will get red chain on join, think it's because your downloading custom sounds(radio sounds) for players who have them and squad xml faces etc should only last for about 30seconds max though.

That's just a guess to what happens though.

Like the Mantis said, first of all join a server with low ping = miliseconds it takes for a package to be sendt from your computer to the server then back again. When you are in the multiplayer lobby click on ping to sort them by low to high.. the lower the better.

If the server is full or nearly full, or has been playing for a long time depending on server traffic and settings, there can be som issues getting into the server and connecting. Example 2-3 highpingers lagging the server for everyone else or a whole group of connecters and disconnecters...thus giving a connection that you are talking about.

A really good server wil give you 5-15 ping... a really badone maybe 200

If you use a router you might want to open the ports used by the game. Usually 2302 for game and 2305 for voip (if i remember correct), but try the ping option first :)

Hope it explains somthing and gives you a better experience when you go multiplayer.

Edited by cri74

Thanks for the replies.

I dont think its a ping issue as I have joined servers with pings as low as 60 with the same problems mentioned above. I think it may be my ISP as dowloading 'retrieving' a mission can take upwards of 10 mins during peak times but when i play in the morning it is about 1 min.

Must I download a mission from the server or do most servers provide mission packs that can be d/l from a web site somewhere?

Any ides to boost my connection as it only seems to be Arma 2 that is affected. All my other MP games are stable under mutiplayer.

Thanks

The missions are sendt to you via the server you join, if there are multiple downloads a servrer will reserve a slot for you and send it. Missions are put in your mpmissions cache. You can find them on these locations depending on your operating system. XP :documents/arma2/MPMissionCache or Vista: Users/YourName/AppData/Local/Arma2/MPMissionCache

In other words a mission is only downloaded 1 time, next time you connect and the missionfile is the same you will not have to download anyting. If you have a look at missions they are often very small in size kb..