Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

ArmA 2 Key

Ok, I bought ArmA 2 via Digital Download(German) and I was wondering if I would be able to use my key, with a DVD version of the game. My friend has a DVD version of the game(English), would I be able to install it with my key?

Thanks in advance.

The way i understand it, he wants the core language of his game to be changed from German to English, so he doesnt have to use a translation mod.

That's why he wants to install the game from an English disk, instead of using the downloaded German version, which locks the language to German.

This is exactly what I mean. ^

Edited by Nicholas

If he bought a DVD version, he should have a key. Use that. Your key won't work, as it's "keyed" to only your copy.

If he bought a DVD version, he should have a key. Use that. Your key won't work, as it's "keyed" to only your copy.

I don't want to use his key though, I want to use MY key that I got when I purchased my Digital Download version from petergames. He has a DVD version of the game, I want to install it, when it asks for the key, I want to use mine so I can play online with him...

How about try it...

Well, I didn't want to waste my time uninstalling mine and then installing his and all the patches then have it not work and have to install mine and all the patches again. It gets to be very tedious...

Edited by Nicholas

What are you trying to do, anyways? As far as I know, any version of Arma will work with another. If you have it installed already, and he does too, just get playing.

This just sounds too much to me like you don't have a legal copy of the game.

What are you trying to do, anyways? As far as I know, any version of Arma will work with another. If you have it installed already, and he does too, just get playing.

This just sounds too much to me like you don't have a legal copy of the game.

The way i understand it, he wants the core language of his game to be changed from German to English, so he doesnt have to use a translation mod.

That's why he wants to install the game from an English disk, instead of using the downloaded German version, which locks the language to German.

Inststall it to a diff directory.. if it works great,, get rid of the german version.

I've bought ArmA 2 through Petergames and later on bought the (English) DVD as well. I could use the key from the downloaded game on the DVD without any trouble. Key and language are linked though, so with the key from petergames you'll still get a German ArmA 2, regardless of the origin of the DVD used.

I've bought ArmA 2 through Petergames and later on bought the (English) DVD as well. I could use the key from the downloaded game on the DVD without any trouble. Key and language are linked though, so with the key from petergames you'll still get a German ArmA 2, regardless of the origin of the DVD used.

Yeah I just figured that out. I was able to install the game with my key. But a couple odd things happend. When I launched it into 1.00 it was in ENGLISH, but after I installed 1.05 it reverted the game to German. Making me think that this is now something that BI CAN change but aren't going to for some reason.

Edited by Nicholas

Yeah I just figured that out. I was able to install the game with my key. But a couple odd things happend. When I launched it into 1.00 it was in ENGLISH, but after I installed 1.05 it reverted the game to German. Making me think that this is now something that BI CAN change but aren't going to for some reason.

It's due to the different markets. Pretty much all software with keys does this. Installing a copy of Windows for example from the UK with a US key will class it as American. You can change the language settings and so on during installation, but on the records it still counts as an American copy. They give out keys in the different markets. They'll work with each other but tend to lock the defaults to where the key is from.

yes just use his dvd to install using your key. 1.05 patch removes the disc check

your key

your key

*facepalm* I did use my key. But because I bought my key from a German retailer, it is only in German language, no matter what version I use my key with.