Sign in to follow this  
Ether Dragon

You talked me into these 3d glasses...

So after the numerous threads hyping the eDimensional glasses and how well they work with OFP, I couldn't resist ordering my own pair.  They arrived yesterday and I didn't waste anytime hooking them up.  After doing some quick configuring, I jumped into OFP so I could...do some more configuring!  No, really.  I spent the rest of the night trying to tweak the game so it would work.  Nothing I did seemed to bring me any closer to that goal.

I think the largest and most immediate problem is the siting system.  I've read a number of posts saying that these glasses actually improved their game, and I have to ask how???  The sites are 2D, and I quickly found out that they're almost impossible to properly align with a target.  I resorted to closing one eye when aiming, which gave me a 2D view.  Um, doesn't that completely ruin the purpose of using 3D glasses?

The other big problem I experienced was faint ghost images, especially around larger objects like tanks.  Perhaps it's the sheer scale of the maps, but if I adjust the stereo seperation one way, distant items have more pronounced ghosting, and if I try to correct that, suddenly near items, like my M-16 get a dual image.  Either way, it's very hard on the eyes.  The game got excellent marks from nVidia, which gives me hope that my inexperience with setting up the glasses is the cause.  I tried Rogue Spear, a game with equally high marks, and it was even worse.  I expected it would be improved due to the small map size, but no.

Lastly, I tried IL-2 Sturmovik, and suddenly the world was right.  Without having to do any configuration at all, suddenly nearly everything was in focus.  I found myself flying nape of the earth for the first time, as I could accurately discern my distance from the ground.  There was only a slight inconsistency with the cockpit display, a little ghosting around the gauges, and a clear double image of a canopy rail that extended to the top of the screen edge.  The game wasn't without problems, however.  Whenever I tried to access the in-flight map, or toggle the padlock view, my computer froze and required a reboot.

So, for those of you that have experienced bliss with your glasses, I'd appreciate any tips you can throw my way for improving my new pair.  smile.gif

Oh yeah:

nVidia drivers

GeForce 2

Mag 800V 19" monitor

Windows XP

Moving to Troubleshooting smile.gif

hi,

glasses are ok!

they work for me in ofp so...

just download the newest drivers from nvidea 28.32

they include settings for 3d-glasses too- and they work fine.

succes!

Hmm. I'm using 28.32, so I don't think that's it. I've messed with the nVidia controls a lot, but I just can't get the hang of them. I read through nVidia's entire user's guide, too (you can download it off eDimension's site.)

You might actually want to go back and try other drivers, like the 27.20s. First, make sure you have the new nVidia stereo drivers, not just the detonator drivers. Also, have you used the hotkeys and stereo properties settings? That should allign your crosshairs and get the image looking sharp if that's what seems to be the trouble. Took me about 10 minutes of playing with the hotkeys and now it's perfect.

I've spent several hours tweaking the stereo effects, and was unable to find a decent set-up. That's why I'm asking advice from other users. What did you do that got you up and running in about ten minutes? Also, how do you handle the 2D crosshairs? I can't hit the broadside of a barn. I've heard how great the glasses are supposed to be in the game, but my experience thus far has me wondering if we didn't have some ringers from eDimensional toting their product on the forums.