Sign in to follow this  
zeep

Learning how to code (mods) in Arma2

I want to learn how to code arma mods basically. The last coding language i used was gwbasic and i worked with memory adresses, binary- and hexadecimal values (on the Z80a processor).

I'm confident that i can learn well as long as i understand what's being taught.

So i'm looking for:

- What to expect / learn / what's needed / what is Arma code?

- Beginner mod stuff, with clear explanations / tutorials

- Book(s) that teach coding / commands using examples

- Somebody in the forum that i can harass ;)

Do you want to tweak the game (configs)?

Do you want modify/add features (scripting)?

Do you want to add units/weapons (modelling, texturing (configs))?

Good questions! I'm not so sure what to answer, probably scripting and config. But for creating new 'routines' i will need to know coding too right?

I want to start easy by making a mod that has players walk instead of run at the start of any mission. I figure this should be a good introduction for me.

Second, and my real ambition, i want to change how players move. I want to change things like movement behaviour, turning speeds (at different stances), movement speeds, the movement itself (i.e. how a sidestep affects animation), speeds of changing stances, weapon switching and player collision.

My guess is if i take these on one by one and can learn as i go. Also, i don't yet know what software i will need for scripting, (de)compiling etc..

Good questions! I'm not so sure what to answer, probably scripting and config. But for creating new 'routines' i will need to know coding too right?

I want to start easy by making a mod that has players walk instead of run at the start of any mission. I figure this should be a good introduction for me.

Second, and my real ambition, i want to change how players move. I want to change things like movement behaviour, turning speeds (at different stances), movement speeds, the movement itself (i.e. how a sidestep affects animation), speeds of changing stances, weapon switching and player collision.

My guess is if i take these on one by one and can learn as i go. Also, i don't yet know what software i will need for scripting, (de)compiling etc..

Anything related to animation is not sufficiently supported to really come up with something convincing due to there being no official software that directly allows new animation for the male and female skeleton and it sounds like what you intend to do necessites MoCap data or otherwise it would look cartoonish compared to the vanilla animations.

The movement speeds of existing animations can be easily tweaked in the animation config.

Just have a look at anims.pbo (with dePBO or similar) and you don`t need any special compilers, just binPBO and something like notepad+ or similar to enter the code.

Edited by Charon Productions

Ok i'm trying to read it. Learning how to read it i should say. Will report back here after a while, and probably ask for more help. Thanks so far.

Also check out the anim tweaks of Sakura Chan, Rg and me.

Real addons will give you the best idea.