Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

Jip with new netcode

For nearly every suggested feature there are those who want it and those who don't. they either say YES it must be included, or NO because they don't like it.

Why can't anyone take the middle ground and say "Why not make JIP a server side option?".

This way those who want it can play on servers with it turned on, and those who don't can play with it off.

The result? Everyone is satisfied, instead of just the half that wanted it, or the half that didn't depending on wether or not it is ever implemented.

From what I understand from developers posts, JIP will not be implimented even n the new netcode...however, if it does by some miracle find its way into OFP, I think some sort of compromise could be reached in how it is handled...perhaps JIP could be handled in intervals...allowing a server side option for JIP time. For example, the server could set up a JIP time of 10 minutes meaning every 10 minutes a transport chopper or truck arrives at the bases and 'drops off' the new players. Waiting players could choose a side and be held in some sort of que until the the JIP time was reached (and there were open slots on a team for a player to inhabit. Perhaps the options of 'Join East, Join West, or First Available' ...this way the game would only need to transmit the 'state of the world' according to the JIP time...such as 'how many destryed vehicles are on the field' where are the boddies of fallen soldiers, what is the score, etc....Im not holding my breath as everything I have seen points to no JIP being implimented even with the new net code. On a similar note, one of the problems with multiplay is that it is too dependant on the client side...one person not joining a team or refusing to green up can stall the whole game in the lobby...if there were some sort of system which could allow for quicker starts to the games in the absence of an admin, servers would have more options in how the game is run...this is to say, a server may decide to run only smaller team deathmatch type maps with no respawn (ala Rogue Spear/ CS)...when you die in game you become a spectator...when last man is standing game restats and new guys get to join. Currently its rather impractical to do this as getting everyone ready for the game requires too much babysitting. Under this sytem a server could opt to play in this manner or as a respawning server with round limits of 30+ minutes as most currently do. As I said, I think I read a post from the developers saying JIP will not be included in the overhauled netcode...and although I would really like to see it in some form, it isnt a show stopper for me if it is not.