Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Disappear When Prone?

I was thinking of an addon where camo'd soldiers (not civilians in bright clothing) actually disappear when they go prone. There would be a certain relatively close distance from the player at which they would be visible, even when prone.

When viewed through a scope or binocs(assuming absence of thermal optics), if the unit appeared to be within that close distance, they would be visible.

When the soldier changed to a crouched or standing position, they would become visible. If they were prone on a road or sidewalk they would be visible.

Muzzle flashes and dust would still be visible.

How the A.I. would be tweaked in order to reproduce the same conditions as enforced on the player, I dunno.

I know that this is possible, because on my low-spec machine I had invisible tanks spewing visible smoke from both exhaust and barrel.

From my experience, this would be rather realistic and might solve the problem of grass disappearing at distance. To be fair, a well-camo'ed person can be right at your feet and invisible, as long as they are immobile.

The proposed FlexiAI addon provided some of the inspiration for this. I would hate to see A.I. smartly going prone and assessing the enemy, only for a player to spot them because there was no grass at distance.