Sign in to follow this  
doogerie

feeling the pull of the map maker

ok so i have downloded all the BI tools but am having troubel with the map maker how do I

a) get textures?

b)make a new island?

c)put structurs onthe island?

thanks chris

That's like saying:

"ok I have a garage and some tools.

How do I make car?"

There are huge tutorials here and there on the internet. Don't expect someone to drop in and tell you "yo the textures are in the textures folder, then you click on [create a new island] button on the left and then click on "import cool structures" tab.

For f's sake just setting up those programs needs complicated instructions. New drives, importing stuff from Arma, packing and unpacking, finding the correct paths, importing satmaps or whatever they are called, assigning properties, uv maps, etc to materials....

Man I don't even know where you should start.

Wait I know:

Start here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_Terrain_Tutorial

a) source textures or use the default textures from chernarus or Utes (recommended)

b) Islands terrain is derived from greyscale height maps, using Visitor3(v3) you make an island by importing said heightmaps to create your elevated terrain above sea level.

c) using Visitor3(v3) you can place objects upon the island once its created.

lots of work involved and lots of learning. the BI Wiki is best place to start.

and heres where i started mate. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=85579 Also you should check out the editing section of this forum.

Edited by 9thAircav

That's like saying:

How do I make car?"

I was just waiting for that reply LOL! :D

Doogerie, its better if you scout and search the editing forum and wiki for answers, and maybe also check the social groups on this site that deals with island making. Its not something you'll get perfect answers from by asking in a thread. An island takes months of hard work to do if you want some quality. There is a lot of questions about the different aspects of making islands asked and answered in this forum scattered around so try search and sniff some out. Im sure youll get a lot of tips from that.

Good luck.

That's like saying:

How do I make car?"

There are huge tutorials here and there on the internet. Don't expect someone to drop in and tell you "yo the textures are in the textures folder, then you click on [create a new island] button on the left and then click on "import cool structures" tab.

For f's sake just setting up those programs needs complicated instructions. New drives, importing stuff from Arma, packing and unpacking, finding the correct paths, importing satmaps or whatever they are called, assigning properties, uv maps, etc to materials....

Man I don't even know where you should start.

Wait I know:

Start here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_Terrain_Tutorial

gee what a "friendly" introduction I would say... and it sound a bit rude reading it.

Why not just politely point people to right directions rather than engage on cheap negative talk.

If asking questions on this forum triggers such reactions (and is such offence) then just close the entire forum, exception to those only few intellectual gurus have learned the ropes. Cheers

Nah you are just on a bad mood. :)

I am fine. You are fine. We are all good people and very polite here we just like to tease.

Now go forth and make maps, my sweet prince!

Few other Addons take as long to make as islands... it's a serious and long-term undertaking if you hope to produce quality results...

I made an island or two for OFP back in the day, kinda skipped it during Arma1 since they changed things and it looked kinda complicated and scary, decided to have a go again when the new tools were released... it IS complicated and scary!! :)

Actually - it's not THAT complicated, but it's deeply detailed and picky, everything takes forever and has to be perfect, the tools work (mostly), but they're not precisely user-friendly and the documentation is often somewhat cryptic... MAJOR and detailed forum-searching is the key - plus the occasional well-thought out question here on the forums...

Although all the guys here ARE nice guys really - and dead helpful too! - you may detect a slight "abruptness" in replies to questions that have been asked a million times before (and therefore have answers in the forum threads already), or are SO basic that if you'd struggled your way thru any of the basic tutorials you wouldn't be asking in the first place...

Sgt Ace's Sticky Tutorial is THE place to start - read every word - follow the instructions - screw up - re-read - do it again - screw up some more - read the rest of the tutorial thread - realise you made an obvious mistake same as other people - fix that - hit another snag - read some more... thats the only way to learn...

Once you actually have the damned tutorial nailed you'll be all happy - believe me - it'll be serious accomplishment time when you get that swine actually in-game and running! (and that was a ready-made one, with everything provided!!!)

By then, you'll be all inspired and wanna rush off and build a 40x40km island..... DON'T!

Stay with the tutorial a little longer, what you've done so far is only the beginning - it's a basic working terrain you now can use for learning on... do some more searching and reading - try out some road-laying and smoothing, some object placement, just to see what a pain it is, try painting the mask_lco a couple of different colours, see how clutter works and how to use it, etc, etc...

By the time you've laid a road or two - made a wee forest, placed a mini test village, got a couple of different clutters going - successfully binarised the lot and got it all in-game and working fine - you'll be ready to start an island of your own... (or ready to abandon the entire concept because by now you've realiesd the depth of the undertaking and that it may well take 6 months or more to make even a small/medium island)...

At that stage, if you don't require medical assistance or psychological counselling... decide on an area or theme - secure or make a heightmap or DEM - acquire or create a matching georeferenced Satmap and start getting it all into visitor...

Start with the TUTSamplemap and take it slowly - if you get stuck - read that thread, or ask for help there... you're in for a long trip - settle down and enjoy the ride.... :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

It also helps when you post in the right forum.

Moved to ArmA2 editing.