Sign in to follow this  
jasonnoguchi

Convoy Ambush

Ok, first mission on ARMA Gold...sigh... my ass gets kicked ALL the time...

sachets, rockets etc etc... I never once escaped from those guys coming off the trucks... how did you guys do it?

I would probably tell you something like "dude we played Operation Flashpoint and we KNOW the ways of warfare" but the truth is that I died a lot. I died and I died until I found a way. I took out the first bmp with the satchel and another vehicle with the rpg.

Then I threw a few grenades down the hill and killed a few guys and used the destroyed vehicles as cover to kill the rest. I had to chase a truck to the next village too.

But that's the thing... We cannot tell you how we did it. Even if we do, you may try it and it won't work.

Which is a realization that becomes apparent if you know have played Operation Flashpoint.

Incredible! :) Actually, that makes me respect this game even more. I really enjoy such sandbox games as there really isn't just one way of doing things.

I just died again 5 mins ago but I accidentally found out that I can blast a tree so it lay across the road preventing the vehicles from passing. I am going to try laying 3 sachets in front of the fallen tree and set them off all at one when the whole convoy gets stuck in front of the tree...hehehehe

Explore the possibilities dude.

That's what Arma is about. Remember: If you kill the drivers you can take the wheel and chase those bastards around, block their escape rout or just drive the trucks in the water to destroy them.

Explore the possibilities dude.

That's what Arma is about. Remember: If you kill the drivers you can take the wheel and chase those bastards around, block their escape rout or just drive the trucks in the water to destroy them.

OMG! hahahahah looks like we are truly limited only by our creativity then!

you don't know the half of it man... Seriously the more you play the more you will discover. You are gonna have to improvise to get through this game.

If fact the campaign will force you to think on your feet with more than a few ways.

I failed this mission a number of times without even seeing the convoy!

So finally I checked the map and saw that there is another, even more direct road that runs behind the village you are supposed to setup in.

The next try, I set up my satchel charges in the village, then I set all the mines on the other road, then came back to the village to wait.

Sure enough, I hear a boom in the distance, so I load up on 136s and jump in the truck, just in time to find the trucks backed up behind the mine-destroyed bmp.

A bit of luck with the the rockets, and mission complete!

Even though my scout never gave me the 'convoy coming' signal!

INteresting variation, but makes total sense.

NICE! :) I tried with mine and sachet combo today, mining the leading tank and then sachet the rest of the convoy that builds up behind the destroyed tank but something really strange happened...even though the trucks were destroyed, infantry still managed to get off and attack me! Don't those guys die with the trucks under such heavy explosion??

Anyway, I really suck at ARMA... I can't even complete any of the defending or attacking mini missions in the armory! hahahaha!

Does those trucks actually know how to avoid mines??? I laid 3 mines and none got triggered!

NICE! :) I tried with mine and sachet combo today, mining the leading tank and then sachet the rest of the convoy that builds up behind the destroyed tank but something really strange happened...even though the trucks were destroyed, infantry still managed to get off and attack me! Don't those guys die with the trucks under such heavy explosion??

Anyway, I really suck at ARMA... I can't even complete any of the defending or attacking mini missions in the armory! hahahaha!

Funny, sometimes the infantry riding get killed, and sometimes they manage to make it off and come after you. I also notice that if one truck gets blasted the rest will drop their guys to come hunt you. Nice!

Yeah, those missions from the armory arent easy, I have beaten a few just by being super careful and paranoid, but they are definitely stacked to make them difficult.

^... yeah, I noticed today that sometimes they do get killed and sometimes not. In fact, where the truck got hit is important as well! the BI guys REALLY made this thing realistic! This means, just like real life, a lot of luck is needed no matter how carefully crafted a plan is! One spanner in the clockwork and all hell breaks loose!

Maj. OppiE's live mission log:

planted 3 mines at 200 m interval along the road... waiting at the abandoned house down the road with sachets... its been about 1 hour real time and only 2 mines have been triggered... no sign of the convoy yet... sigh... still waiting... the rain came and went so many times I lost count with the distant sound of thunder and the bugs buzzing around me. soaked and tired... I know the blast sites are now swarming with enemy infantry trying to hunt me down so I can't even go see whats going on... has the convoy decided to call it off? has the convoy taken an alternative route?...I really don't know...the fog of war... I can only be patient... cant' help but notice that the convoy leader changes everytime I redo this mission.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

1 hour 30 mins... (this is also the longest time I have ever survived in an ARMA mission) this 600m road is proving to be the longest 600m this convoy has ever embarked on. 2 mines... this means that 400m has been covered so far... I am waiting that final mine to be triggered, taking that last infantry truck with it before I send the rest of the convoy to heaven with my sachet trap that covers an area of over 200m. its now 1950 in the game... day has turned to twilight and night will soon be here. Its still raining non-stop but the night should give me a good cover for escape to my extraction point later. putting my NVG on now... (in case you are wondering, I have 2 laptops on at the same time)

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

1 hour 50 mins.... 2010 ingame. It is almost completely dark now with the rain clouds covering any moonlight or star light, making it almost pitch black. Even the NVG's duller than before due to lack of ambience light. Still no sign of the convoy... seriously, if I am a convoy leader in RL, I would have called in the mine disposal team after the first mine went off... was that what they are doing now? decide to put the game on pause for a meal break....

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

2035 ingame, its been 2 hours and 5 mins. the rain has stopped at last and the bugs are screaming on top of their voices again. It is a clear moonless night with random rain clouds still drifting across the sky. The only thing I am not getting now is the damp smell of mud and grass. I am tempted to reccee the blast sites under cover of night but I also know that if I run into an overwhelming number of enemies, everything I did would go to waste. One quality of SF troopers is patience... like a stalking tiger I shall wait...

Edited by jasonnoguchi

I think that you are going to have to grab a bunch of 136's and go hunting.

Sometimes it seems the convoy commander hunkers down and refuses to move.

Scared? Waiting for support or a tow truck for his damaged vehicles?

Who knows why...

Go get em!

2 hours 45 mins, suddenly a popup tells me that I have already destroyed the convoy but failed to go to extraction point so I got only 200 points...sigh...where's that voice over the com when you need him? also, I didn't see a time limit anywhere in the mission briefing.

Wierd... 2 mines can't have destroyed a convoy of 6... wonder what happened...

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Beat this mission at last! Sometimes, when everything goes smoothly according to plan, it can run like clockwork, so luck is important indeed! I set 3 mines abreast along a choke point and waited some distance behind. Heard the mines go off and then pop up behind the bunch and totalled them all with M136. All infantries were killed in the mine blast so nobody was there to kill me like sooooo many times before. I got lucky again as I was running towards my chopper, enemy tanks were already blasting the place up. One round hit just behind me, injuring me but luckily did not kill me just 50m from the chopper and I left in one piece. A lot of luck involved! Whole thing took only about 10 mins! Awarded over 8000 points... by the way, whats all these points for??

Edited by jasonnoguchi