Sign in to follow this  
Hunt3r

Attack Helo Changes?

This may have been suggested before, but I don't want to necro any old threads and I figure it's far easier to do it this way anyhow.

Few things, just to make it more realistic.

Well besides the obvious flight model fixes and more natural controls, could we have FLIR, and a highly simplified but still realistic representation of how it works? Say, scrolling the mouse wheel changes between the view modes, instead of a progressive zoom while gunning. FLIR, or at least something representative of it via image processing would be great too.

For example, the Apache could (from very far away) be searching for tanks, when it spots a T-72. From 7 KM, it would simply put the crosshair on the tank, right click, and it would instantly range and put a box on the tank, indicating lock. Then you fire and that's the end of that.

No one to show you that a tank is here or there, but it will sure as hell light up on FLIR.

Maybe for the Longbow you could have radar too.

Here's a little poem I wrote in prose:

The flight model fixes you're hinting at aren't obvious.

Detecting tanks in ArmA is already much easier than it is in real life already.

Flir will be in Operation Arrowhead, a stand alone expansion.

There is no Apache in ArmA 2.

There is no Longbow in ArmA 2.

You cant have missed Operation Arrowhead by any chance? Little more reading the forum will enlighten you of many things.

Like stated above - the expansion will have VBS FLIR implemented into the Apache, M1's and possibly the UAV's (if any).

Screens: LINK

OA-QA with Jennik(BIS): LINK2

OA Website: LINK3

FLIR is not possible in ARMA2 atm. It is - but it requires tons of work and thus it will come in OA instead.

You cant have missed Operation Arrowhead by any chance? Little more reading the forum will enlighten you of many things.

Like stated above - the expansion will have VBS FLIR implemented into the Apache, M1's and possibly the UAV's (if any).

Screens: LINK

OA-QA with Jennik(BIS): LINK2

OA Website: LINK3

FLIR is not possible in ARMA2 atm. It is - but it requires tons of work and thus it will come in OA instead.

Pseudo-FLIR is indeed possible by inverting colors and turning it black and white. Of course, this is not as realistic as the real deal.

Anyhow, I'm asking for the targets to be hidden, and instead of pressing tab and flying until it launches, you would be using a gunner camera, looking around via mouse, and if you see a target, you would right click or press a certain button that would zero the cannon at that range (If it's within the cannon's range), and the Hellfires would be able to launch at it.

If cameras are stabilised in this game, then you'd be able to fly around and not worry about the gunner in a MP game going all over the place.

Basically, make gunning still just as easy, but a bit more involved.

Also, when I was referring to the Apache I mean for Operation Arrowhead.

I really think that ArmA 2 is a fantastic idea. But the aircraft are simplified slightly too much and then it feels kind of boring.

Definitely don't want a Black Shark type of helo simulation, but slightly more realism is all that's needed to make the attack helos far more immersive.

And for the Apache, maybe a HUD that moves around with your view, to simulate TADS.

In short, let's make gunning more fun.

Edited by Hunt3r

FLIR only as a vehicle IR device? I would love to see working examples of a couple of selected rifles having thermal sights. No point in letting OFDR getting ahead here :) I.e. the M4 SPR would be a perfect candidate for such a sight. Special Purpose now means something, and the low caliber means it will not become overpowered.

Anyhow my point is that a bit more involved flying and gunning in helos would be nice.

No, I do NOT want to go through a startup procedure, although having to bring up a HUD to mark a target that will be locked on by cannon and Hellfire before you can kill would be nice.

Also as a mod realistic gunning huds would be GREAT.

So would recoil from firing the cannon in attack helos.

The Hellfire ranks alongside the Javelin in my opinion as a weapon system really deserving of development time. These weapons are so versatile it's almost tragic how they're represented at the moment. A system similar to how they were in ACE1 would be good, and a more advanced (read more realistic) representation of radar would be excellent. Hellfires are used all the time in places like Helmend, and when you consider that the Taliban don't have any armour...

Daniel;1471988']The Hellfire ranks alongside the Javelin in my opinion as a weapon system really deserving of development time. These weapons are so versatile it's almost tragic how they're represented at the moment. A system similar to how they were in ACE1 would be good' date=' and a more advanced (read more realistic) representation of radar would be excellent. Hellfires are used all the time in places like Helmend, and when you consider that the Taliban don't have any armour...[/quote']

Well, we can hope that ACE 2 will give more realistic Javelin and attack gunner HUDs and in general make those systems more realistic.

And let's hope that the same is done in Operation Arrowhead. A nice gunning HUD, more realism, etc.