Sign in to follow this  
laukejas

Weird textures

Hello, people,

I recently noticed strange tree textures in ofp. I have a clean install, with only WW4 addon - nothing else. See the screenshot, the tree above the aiming cursor:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6802/27532619.jpg

As I get closer to the tree, textures start to change slowly into the higher resolution ones, and these look good. If I get further away from the tree, textures become as the ones you see in the screenshot. I'm not sure this happens with all the tree textures - I think just with some.

What can I do about it?

Edited by Rellikki
Posted image > 100kb

Looks really strange. I think it's a problem with one of the resolution LODs of that tree model, though I've never encountered it myself. Then again, my visual settings are set on pretty high.

You should be able to fix it by increasing your Visual Quality setting in the options.

I will need to have a look if it's just you or does that occur always.

Also, hotlinking pictures larger than 100kb is not permited here. Please review the forum rules.

Never noticed this myself, but if after tweaking the visual quality/framerate settings in the ingame video options as Rellikki suggest you don't notice this problem going away, can you post the coordinates of this tree so i can check if i can reproduce your problem ?

Well, my visual quality and framerate settings are on maximum already...

This happens everywhere, not in a specific place. Just look for a similar tree...

I just tried even lowering a lot my quality setting and never noticed this (notice by the way that the framerate at max = lower quality than framerate at min, the game degrade the game visual to try to maintain the framerate you specify)

Can you post the values in your Flashpoint.cfg so i can compare with mine, i think the problem can be there

So you suggest lowering the fps slider?

Of course, here it is:

Product="Resistance";

Language="English";

HW_Type="Direct3D";

Adapter=0;

3D_Performance="3694";

CPU_Benchmark=3694;

Resolution_W="1680";

Resolution_H="1050";

Resolution_Bpp="32";

LOD=7.500000;

Limit_LOD=0.019000;

Shadows_LOD=0.050000;

MaxObjects=256;

Cockpit_Textures=256;

Landscape_Textures=64;

Object_Textures=512;

Animated_Textures=32;

Textures_Drop_Down=4;

Texture_Heap="16";

File_Heap="16";

Total_Memory="752";

MaxLights=32;

Light_Explo=1;

Light_Missile=1;

Light_Static=1;

Frame_Rate_Pref=500;

Quality_Pref=500;

refresh=60;

I tried using your Flashpoint.cfg (with difference only the resolution, as i play in 1024*768) but always does not notice the tree problem from your screenshot, even when toying around the ingame visual quality/framerate.

Have you tried with lowering a bit the framerate setting

Sanctuary, yes, I tried to lower fps setting. I do noticed a drop in fps, but absolutely no increase in video quality.

Walter_E_Kurtz, well, no, I'm runing game on PC, not laptop. It is old, however. If I enable Direct 3D HW T&L, I get weird looking human figures: for example, soldier legs are missing sometimes, shadows are flickering. My video card drivers are up to date, if you may suspect that. My video card is ATI Radeon 9200, 128mb.

My view distance is set to 998, although I find this much too low. However, raising it beyond 1000 creates noticable fps drop with every additional 200 metres.

My ground textures are set to "low". Higher ones causes big fps drop, and no significant increase in quality.

This weekend I'll try increasing texture size to 512, and will report result.

Any other suggestions on this texture problem?

Took one more screenshot today. Please, take a look:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8189/67990419.jpg

As you may see here, tree in front of me is in terribly bad texture quality. I assume such texture should be only used by Flashpoint when I'm 1km or more from that tree. In this distance, texture should be same quality as the trees you may see on left and right of the screen. Also, look at the top of the screenshot. These textures are also terrible.

Any suggestions? :(

EDIT:

Wow! Just after writing this post (before editing it) I alt-tabed back to the game, and this time, I got this:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3563/23996502.jpg

Now textures are even worse. Maybe this problem is related with alt-tabing out and back in the game? If so, what may be the cause?

Edited by laukejas
Unexpected new information to add.

What happens to that bizarre texture/lod/mipmap problem you have if :

in your Flashpoint.cfg before launching OFP, you change

Resolution_W="1680";
Resolution_H="1050";

into

Resolution_W="1024";
Resolution_H="768";

Then, what happens if you launch OFP with a shortcut in which you add to the target line :

-nomap -nosplash -x=1024 -y=768 -window

or

-nomap -nosplash -x=800 -y=600 -window

I never had an ATI card, but is there a control panel for it in which you could try to tweak some of the driver options ?

In the first case, the problem persists.

In the second case (running in window), problem persists too, with both resolutions.. Textures are still of very low quality.

Yes, there is a control panel of my ATI card. However, I do not know what to tweak. If you could suggest, I could try.

Thanks

I have never seen that before. in the Flashpoint.cfg, some values are missing:

- your cpu

- the geometry performance

try to put these values:

textures:

cockpits, objects, landscape at 2048x2048 (this is my settings, i don't have any problems)

special effects: 64x64

auto drop-down: x8

my geometry value for "geometry performance" is 6341

I have an ati serie x1000 128mb, and i can use direct 3d HW T&L. this is strange that you can use 3D HW T&L :confused:

Yes, there is a control panel of my ATI card. However, I do not know what to tweak. If you could suggest, I could try.

try to increse the value for Mipmap level of detail, i can run the game at Hight quality. try to increase also the anisiotropic filtering, you can try 6x

Edited by Sennacherib

Have you tried lowering your auto drop-down setting in Flashpoint preferences advanced options under the Textures tab? That setting lowers the texture quality in game, when you go further away from objects. Try setting it to None and see if it fixes anything.

i had this problem years back on my old pc this is a problem with your video card. Either use a new computer or replace the video card with a new one. Hopefully it helps if not use direct 3d H&W w/e u spell it. If you still have the problem then im out of ideas

Tried all your suggestions. Same problem, though. Strange thing is, that I don't recall having this problem before. It seems like that these textures become corrupted randomly: look at this screenshot:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6021/86966476.jpg

Not only textures in the game, but also the small images like here, representing differrent maps, are corrupted. One more interesting thing: I started to notice same problem in other games, too. For example, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. the same thing with textures. They become ugly when you get close to some object. So, maybe this problem isn't with the settings in the game?

for the screenshot, this is a problem with the anti-aliasing, try to increase the level, and enable the temporal anti-aliasing (ati catalyst center) :)

Well, my video card doesn't support anti-aliasing at the resolution I'm using - it makes game look very blurry...

You mean, it has ended it's days? :( You're sure? My graphics card is only 5 years old, as far as I remember...

It seems that way, especially with the screenshot of the forest in the first page and the fact that the issue happens with other games. I can't think what else the issue might be.

You might want to go on to a PC forum as the folks there will know better than me.

PC components are very sensitive so 5 years old is old when it comes to PC things, especially if you use it quite a bit.

If your PC is AGP you should be able to get a replacement rather cheaply.

well, you might be right. But my computer is crap, almost 10 years old. I doubt there is a point to invest into new graphics card. Maybe it's time to look for a new computer :/