Sign in to follow this  
Wheem

Game freezes during campaign.

Let me start by saying that I patched to 1.04 immediately after installing the game, before actually playing it. I've already played the demo a fair amount, but I did play through a bit of the fixed-wing aircraft training mission, went through a full Warfare scenario battle ("Welcome to War" was the name, I believe), as well as a little goofing around in the editor - all without issue.

I also managed to play through the first several campaign missions without any problems, but now that I'm on a "free roaming" mission (which seems pretty awesome so far) I've run into a total of 6 lockups. The first two happened in the same spot, and appeared to be related to a particular auto-save; when I reloaded a slightly earlier save, I was able to continue on for a while without issue. Now, however, I appear to be stuck. Doing my best to describe the situation without spoilers...

I talked to a certain person who wants me to help defend a certain location, which I was in the process of doing when the game froze on me. I reloaded the most recent save and tried again, with the same results. I've tried a total of two different saves (which are maybe ~5 minutes apart) and have frozen during the battle 3 times, and during the conversation after the battle once.

Would going back to an even older save possibly work? Should I restart the mission? Or is there something tied to this particular event that I'm doing which may be causing the freezes?

Edit: I should also add that I read "Game crashing to desktop or freezeing" sticky (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76670), which suggested that I pack and upload 3 certain files. However, when I check the listed directory, I only see arma2.RPT - not arma2.mdmp or arma2.bidmp

Edited by Wheem

What do the very last 50 or so lines say in the rpt file? open it in notepad.

Usually a dll or something causing arma2.exe to crash ... something like this ....

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 7301F4E2

Version 1.04.59026

Fault address: 7301F4E2 01:0002E4E2 C:\Windows\system32\d3d9.dll

file: Domination_7thCav_Pub (__CUR_MP)

world: Chernarus

Prev. code bytes: 04 E8 51 02 FE FF 89 BE 20 2B 00 00 3B FB 74 0F

Fault code bytes: FF 47 0C 39 9E 78 2C 00 00 0F 85 05 91 05 00 81

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000

ECX:30C01DC4 EDX:00000088

ESI:0FD1CD20 EDI:00000088

CS:EIP:0023:7301F4E2

SS:ESP:002B:2EDFFED0 EBP:2EDFFEFC

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010206

=======================================================

Also if you rclick on your my computer icon and go to manage / events, there is a error in red listed with the crash info. Sometimes this information helps to resolve the issue.

I would say list your systems specs and all that, but IMO thats irrelivant since you stated you played for a bit; thus your system must meet min specs.

I opened the file in Notepad and didn't see anything like that at the end. I also word searched for; exception, file, fault, and registers without any of those being found.

I did notice (spoiler warning on the town name), "String STR_rt_comes_to_staroye_F_3 not found" being listed several times, along with some "header cannot be loaded" errors.

Edit: To be a little more specific on that error section:

String STR_rt_comes_to_staroye_F_3 not found

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female01\cz\doprava.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female01\cz\report\blizko.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\numbers\seven2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\numbers\eleven2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\vystoupit.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\nastoupit.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\ten01.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\vehicles\car.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\report\strednivzdalenost.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\vehicles\man.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\male01\cz\report\presun.wss', header cannot be loaded.

I have the exact same problem on that mission too. My specs: q6600 oced to 3.4 ghz, GTX 280, 4 gig ram Xp 32 - 3 gig showing, sound blaster xfi, mobo = abit ip35 pro. Graphics drivers are 191.07

I have the exact same problem on that mission too. My specs: q6600 oced to 3.4 ghz, GTX 280, 4 gig ram Xp 32 - 3 gig showing, sound blaster xfi, mobo = abit ip35 pro. Graphics drivers are 191.07

Did you find any sort of work around? I reloaded a save that was a little farther back than the others I'd used, but still froze up while chasing the last insurgent through the woods.

I should also note that our hardware is totally different, and I'm using an ATI card as well. The only thing I see that we have in common, computer-wise, is the OS.

I'd actually quite liked the mission so far, and would like to be able to continue on. The only things I can think of would be either restarting the mission (not sure whether or not it'd help), or trying to skip that portion all together and see if I could still complete it.

as soon as I engage the insurgents then the game freezes. On the third area that I scouted. Like a trigger is activated. really good campaign so far too. Does that old ofp trick of skipping missions work where you hold down shift and minus and type something?

as soon as I engage the insurgents then the game freezes. On the third area that I scouted. Like a trigger is activated. really good campaign so far too. Does that old ofp trick of skipping missions work where you hold down shift and minus and type something?

I never locked up at the beginning of the fight - it always happened to me near the end (and one time right after it was over, when I was talking to the local villager whom I had been sent to).

It's also the third area for me. I doubt we took the same route, but...(slight spoilers ahead) After meeting with the intelligence officers, I drove east along the main road and scouted out the quarry, followed by the encampment in the forest to the north or north west of there - then on to the village where I'm locking up.

As far as skipping missions - I'm not entirely sure. I'd really like to get this one completed and move on normally, but I haven't been able to find any sort of work around thus far. I may just try restarting the mission and see if that helps.

hold shift and the minus key then type endmission, to skip that bugged mission :)

I restarted the mission and did not freeze up at that location. However, due to a lot of farting around and not pausing at a few times that I should have, I ran out of time and the mission ended in failure. Is there any way to load one of the save games from there now that it moved on to the next mission? The only options I can see are to revert or replay, both of which seem to be aimed at starting the mission over from the beginning, which I'd rather not do.