Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

Idea for infantry 3rd person mode

I've always been this advocate against the use of any infantry 3rd person view, because it enables you to "cheat". Well, so I thought. I'm about to go 180° on that. Well, 120°-150° at least. In a discussion elsewhere, someone smacked this one in my face:

you dont have third person view in real life for sure, but you do have a small mirror on a metal rod, which is used for looking around corners

That's the first time afaik that I've recieved a good argument for having 3rd person enabled. And when I think about it, yes I have seen this technique being used.

Is it possible to detect when a player is in 3rd person view (client script)? If not, it would be nice to have such a check. Then for addon makers, we could just overlay a black screen with a circular hole in it representing the mirror. Using 3rd person as now still feels a bit over the top, but the small hole approach (even if not fully accurate) would be a lot easier to live with for those who still think it is a big cheat.

Thanx for relating to the important combat problem of environment awareness.

For this may be offtopic here, cogamers interested in discussion on 3rd view versus egoshooterview - please read/comment on this topic here.

While a mirror would be cool, i don't really think adjusting 3rd person mode is a good way to accomplish this. Someone made a tactical periscope for looking over walls and obstacles without exposing yourself in ArmA1, surely something similar could be done for peeking round corners?

That's the first time afaik that I've recieved a good argument for having 3rd person enabled.

Aside from "disables the crappy bluring"? :p

Either way we break down the 1st vs 3rd person it really comes down to a choice between bad or worse.