Sign in to follow this  
th3_w1ngman

Will any of these computers run ArmA2 out of the box?

HP - Pavilion Desktop with AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 Quad-Core Processor

Model: a6720y

Model: p6130y

Model: a6700y

Model: a6813w-b

I was going to go buy a new computer but only have about a 700$ budget. I was looking at bestbuy and walmart computers, but since I'm a total computer noob I thought I try here to know which one is best to get. If any of them is no good, then I would be happy to know what you guys would recommend. Any help would be appreciated, and I understand I won't be playing games in maxed settings with only a 700$ budget but I would like to get the most bang for my buck if you will.

I read through the specs for all now, none have the gfx card needed. However you can buy a proper card separately and install yourself. I recommend the NVIDIA gts260 which will give you a pretty good punch for your money (approximately http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/12590/34/ )

How can you recommend a GTX260 when the HD5850 is out!

review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/30/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5850_video_card_review/3

Note: HardOCP doesn't do apples to apples comparisons, you'll notice they try to achieve best playable settings. If you pay attention you will notice that the 5850 allowed an average of over 30fps with everything set to the highest settings, 1920x1200 with 2xAA

:)

How can you recommend a GTX260 when the HD5850 is out!

review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/30/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5850_video_card_review/3

Note: HardOCP doesn't do apples to apples comparisons, you'll notice they try to achieve best playable settings. If you pay attention you will notice that the 5850 allowed an average of over 30fps with everything set to the highest settings, 1920x1200 with 2xAA

:)

Not everyone has $260 to spend on a gpu.GTX 260 can be had for 100 less.Although id reccomend a 4870 for arma if hes on a budget ATI cards seem to run arma 2 better overall.I have gtx 260 216 and im very happy with it and it runs arma 2 really well.BTW that review when a card dips below 20 fps at minimum i dont consider that as playable.If this guy has the money for a 5850 id reccomend it tho highley it is the best bang for the buck and my next card

Forget about those, a 300W HP PSU will just flame out a few seconds after turning that POS computer on if you put an halfway decent video card in there.

That is, unless you settle for a lackluster video card that won't even give you a playable framerate anyway, don't think about running Arma2 using the integrated GPU, unless you are thrilled by the idea of watching a slideshow.

Consider building your own, it is cheaper, you end up with higher quality parts and get to learn valuable skills, there is a ton of knowledge about how to do it on the web if you can figure your way around a search engine.

Edited by SidVicious