Sign in to follow this  
vo0do0

Specific multiplayer freezing

I freeze completely during the "Creating Client" phase of connection like 3/5 of the time. It seems to be more frequent with certain servers, which I'm now afraid to try connecting to : P Occasionally I freeze during the receiving data phase but I think that's a RAM thing.

Please post all your specs, including ANY firewall etc. (esp. if it's zonealarm).

I haven't got any firewalls

1 GIG processor

128 RAM

Windows ME (aka electronic hell)

Horrible Intel 82801AA Sound/Video/game controller (current update in place)

I'll bet that if you add another 256MB of RAM, the problem will go away. OFP doesn't run well in 128MB of RAM, especially MP games -- it becomes unstable, and performance suffers greatly. 256MB of RAM is a more realistic minimum for an enjoyable gaming experience.

Ok, I strongly believe that there's something on the server-side that's freezing me...I just tried the same server a few times and froze each.

Mister Frag, the amount of RAM does not render you unable to connect. I played OF for weeks with 128 megs and I didn't have any problem. (there was quite some swapping, which was annoying, but it does not make it impossible to connect -> 'swapfile'wink.gif.

Silly question though: Are you sure you are trying to connect to servers which support the version of OF that you are using. (e.g. don't connect to a 1.4 server with 1.46 etc....).

Which version are YOU using right now?

btw, which program do you use to connect to find the servers? (Gamespy, all seeing eye...)

I never said RAM has anything to do with my connection probability...I'm connecting to servers correct for my version, and I have the problem for Gamespy and with the Eye

The amount of RAM doesn't affect networking directly, but it does affect the overall stability of OFP. People have been reporting all sorts of lockups and problems when running in low-memory conditions, and memory consumption definitely goes up during MP games.

You sure memory goes up THAT much during multiplay?

I posted OFP's memory requirements at various stages of MP games in the past, but you'd have to search the archives to find it, it's been a while.

Anyway, the footprint goes WAY up when you start a MP game, and some of the buffers used for the networking code and off-screen page flipping probably need to be locked down in physical memory and cannot be paged.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to run OFP in low-memory conditions, all I'm saying is that it becomes unstable. As a programmer myself for the better part of 30 years, I know that memory allocation calls aren't always checked to see if they succeeded, especially if the amount of memory requested is small.

are you using the voiceOverNet="false"; ?

I have found that causes freezing/delays

take it out and it will be zippy quick.

I don't even know what voiceOverNet=False is, so I'm not using it I think : P

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vo0do0 @ Mar. 30 2002,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't even know what voiceOverNet=False is, so I'm not using it I think : P<span id='postcolor'>

Don't bother, it only applies to the dedicated server anyway. It was introduced with OFP V1.42.

hey the same thing happens to me and it never did it before until about 3 weeks ago and it only happens on some servers.

I have the same problem.

Running Windows Xp Dutch version, newest videodrivers etc etc.

AOPEN AK77 Pro, AMD Thunderbird 1.4 GHz, 256 DDR RAM, Herculester Geforce 2 MX, Creative Sblaster live 5.1, connection: @home Cable

No proxy, no firewalls, no icq/msn/anti virus running.

Can host lan and internet games.

Can join lan games.

Can't join internet games.

When joining a remote server, the freeze at "creating client"

windows button+L I can get back to windows.

pressing crtl+alt+del Operation Flashpoint "Programm isn't responding"

My cpu is goning sky high when lauching and at creating client is falls back down.

Someone has an answer?

Problems startet @ version 1.30 since then can't play online anymore sad.gif

Please help me, ofp is so cool online.

oh ya i also find that some times i get to the waiting screen and i see my self conecting the a few minute after it will say lost session like 10 time really fast almost like i was froze for a short time and them gave me all the messegs at once, i dont know if this is related to not being able to connect to some games , i am running 98se.   if you have any ideas email me if you could at  .  udder@roughnecks.org . thx udder