Sign in to follow this  
Bon

co14 Hunt Waldo (Utes)

screenshot collage

Hi All,

altough a thread for this mission is already open here, I open a new one.

Firstly, because I have completely restructured the code of this mission, and secondly because the previous one was already overflowing.

Thus, officially, this is only the notice of the update to v1.5. Although I mentioned previously I am not going to write another update for this mission, I was forced to review my code after my current project is close to finish (a preview of it is available as a pdf manual on my download page atm).

So for all who do not know my Hunt Waldo mission on Utes, here is a small description (again):

Actually, it is just a fun mission for about 4 to 14 players, but in which the various responsibilities of the particular players make teamplay and communication among themselves to be of utmost importance.

The mission is simple: find the oppositions leader, codename 'Waldo', and bring him to your initial point. (Yeah, I know, find Waldo. Funny, isn't it?)

You start at the U.S.S. Khe Sanh with entering the island.

- First, clear the LZ south of the island so that we have easy access to Utes for the further operation and that we can deploy our artillery there.

- Head for Strelka and clear it of enemy units.

- There is also a radar station in Strelka which serves the enemy to call in reinforcements from time to time. It is not required to destroy it, but recommended.

- Next, conquer the airfield of Utes so that the way is clear to Kameny, where we expect Waldos remainder.

- On the way to Kameny there is once again a radar tower, same story as with the one in Strelka.

- (Clear Kameny), Search Kameny for Waldo, who should hide himself in one of the houses.

- Bring Waldo to the LHD, alive. Mission succeeds when Waldo is on the carrier, mission fails as soon as Waldo dies.

There are different soldier classes the player can slip in, each with different skills and weapon pool:

Squadleader: can call artillery fire missions once the LZ is clear and while the artillery units are alive

Anti-Tanks: have access to anti-tank launchers of course

Machinegunner: have access to heavy full-automatics of course

Medics: can heal of course

Sniper: have access to precision rifles of course

Engineer: can build a respawn point

Pilots: can fly the UH1Y and the Blackhawk helicopters

For one time, the pilot, mounting the UH1Y, can load a supply box and drop it wherever he wants. Standing close to this box then, the team's engineer can build a respawn point, which also comes up with a weapon box.

Unless the respawn point is built, the team respawns on the carrier, with the box on the carrier the only source to weapons and ammunition. Thus the pilot's most important role is to play taxi for the other teammembers.

The pilot can also use the Blackhawk helicopter to lift some technicals, a LAV25, a HMMWV-TOW and a HMMWV-M2.

The official changelog from v1.4.03 to v1.5:

- code restructured, clean server-client architecture now, much easier to read (not just for me)

- also cutted out the dependencies to some building ids - therefore more reliable to further ArmA patches

- respawn point can now be build without restrictions to any objectives being accomplished, but only once

- loadout can be saved at the weapon boxes

- spawn dialog renewal

- added settings dialog, you can now set viewdistance and grass layer whenever wherever you want (by pressing 'T')

- enemies now move in randomized but structured patrol routes around and through the main target areas

- amount of enemies dependend on number of players currently playing

- strength and number of enemies can be set as mission parameter now

Mission can be downloaded at the link in my signature or:

on ArmedAssault.info <- thanks to Old Bear

on Armaholic.com <- thanks to Big

So, just hf I'spose.

Edited by Bon
Posted image > 100kb

Any chance you could rename some of the markers to 'Clear/Secure the LZ' in future releases?

I know it's in the right context, but I don't know how many times I've seen people mistake it for being a safe LZ to land on, despite it being an objective.

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

7272895.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=multi&game=1&id=95][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/7272895.gif][/url]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

[b]ArmedAssault.info Mirror :[/b]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=95]DOWNLOAD - co14 Hunt Waldo (Utes) (v.1.5) - [933KB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url][/spoiler]

Bon, how the heck do you pick up the vehicles for transport by chopper? We tried the Blackhawk but couldn't seem to do it. We only had a pilot and an Engineer.

GPCook

BTW.... fantastic mission!! Our team appreciates it!

Edited by gpcook
not complete

Bon, how the heck do you pick up the vehicles for transport by chopper? We tried the Blackhawk but couldn't seem to do it. We only had a pilot and an Engineer.

Hi,

destroy the Blackhawk and let it respawn, then you should be able to lift the vehicles.

The problem is that the initialization of the chopper is not executed on client machines at the beginning of the mission, even not synchronized to jip players.

Officially this should be done, and considering this issue appears for the first time, and hell, I know this issue is new, I am quite sure it relies on patch 1.04.

I will give it a shot, searching for another method to avoid using the vehicle init and control it completely on client side, but could take a while.

Thanks for the commendation anyway.

Edited by Bon

I have to announce a small update.

changelog v1.51

hotfix: lifting vehicles with the blackhawk not possible for jip players

hotfix: artillery does not fire on client machines

new: choose number of possible respawn points (none, 1, 2) by mission parameter

Ahh great,

We had the lifting problem as well, we play Hunt for waldo from the beginning and last night at our public open training we finished it for the first time with in the training time, usually we have to cut off the mission at the end of the training but this time we play on for 30 mins and found waldo in the city.

It took us totally 2,5 hours to finish it "Hunt for Waldo" is our favorite coop mission thanks mate.

We did had a bug last night: some players had different times so for me it was dark at 0600 and somebody else it was 0800 light. when they rejoined it was dark form them as well i don't know why, if you like i could sent you the RPT file.

Another thing, in the hotfix you say: "hotfix: lifting vehicles with the blackhawk not possible for jip players" What are jip players?

Edited by TAW_T-Bone

Hi T-Bone,

glad you still like it, considering the initial version release is a long long time ago.

This mission went a long way of development - 9 or 10 updates in total I think, which is absolutely not my kind of working - either it is working at its first official versions (betas excluded) or its crap. Uh, did I really said that? Of course ArmA2 is an exception :p. Seriously, what would we all do without ArmA2, I don't know, so may Bohemia still release updates in 10 years.

What I was intended to say was, with the hotfix 1.51 the development of Hunt Waldo on Utes arrived at its end, happy that it gave me so much of fun and experience in mission making, and people like you or Landstriker in playing it. Once again, thank you all.

To the issues you mentioned:

The daytime issue is an ArmA2 Engine problem which was claimed to be fixed with patch 1.04. I quote the changelog of patch 1.04:

"* Fixed: Time of day synchronized on client after connection to server."

If its still not working....all I can suggest is :yay:.

JIP means "Join in Progress". JIP players are players that are joining your server after the mission had started.

Hf, Bon.

And check out the newest version (beta.2 atm) of the Hunt Waldo 2 mod :D

Thanks Bon,

Well both are good missions :bounce3: - Hunt for Waldo 2 is a bit big for the group right now you at least need about 12 players working well together. But i have the beta.2 version also loaded on the server. And once we grow bigger we will have a go on it for sure, so people join up:D

Hi Bon,

Finally had a chance to play this again last night with some friends. We were brave and tried it on "many many" enemies. The enemy vehicle death count was up to 26 by the time we had to go to bed, was pretty intense and great fun!!

Didn't get to test arty unfortunately as all our guns got overun and killed.

Definitely could see more movement in the enemy patrols etc, which made it more challenging.

We also had the issue were one guy was in broad daylight when the rest of us were in darkness, until he died and respawned.

Besides that all worked well and is a fun mission.

Cheers,

aUlias & the EzCo crew.