Sign in to follow this  
williek

Edimensional glasses review on ofp vietnam

The control panel way will only work if you're already running a specific monitor driver.

If you're running a generic or Microsoft driver the control panel won't show you much, and you may not be able to filter available ones (depending on OS). sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 28 2002,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1600 x 1200 / 76 Hz Åž 1280 x 1024 / 90 Hz Åž 1024 x 768 / 118 Hz Åž 800 x 600 / 152 Hz Åž 640 x 480 / 160 Hz

I love my iiyama wink.gif

paintfreak67 one simple way to find out what your monitor can do is pretend you're going to buy it again, go to some online store such as Dabs.com scan.co.uk or whichever is your nations equivalent, that should give you your specs smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Is it the Vision master Pro411 ? I've got one of those, but can't find the proper specs...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (paintfreak67 @ Mar. 27 2002,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how do you find out what Hz your monitor will pull?<span id='postcolor'>

A very easy way of calculating your monitors refresh-rates.

Find out your monitor's bandwidth (in KHz).

Then divide the refresh-rate on your horizontal resolution.

Sample:

My monitor has 107KHz bandwidth.

Let's see what it can do in 1600x1200 resolution smile.gif

107000 / 1200 = 89Hz

This is'nt entirely correct. You loose a little bit of the bandwidth to sync, noise etc... in the chip.

The correct answer for my monitor is 87Hz.

But you get the point tounge.gif

Here's a tip for all you newbies, the 3-d glasses thing is just a fad, any serious gamer will tell you that it doesnt improve your game one bit, it actually makes you worse in some games or situations.

Its fun just to get the experience for awhile, but it gets old quick and most of you will find that the glasses will spend more and more time collecting dust on your shelf especially when you are playing online in matches and you care about performing at your best.

Its not worth it if your short on cash, your better off spending your money on a Logitech Dual-Optical mouse or saving your money for some more memory, some surround sound speakers, a 19 inch monitor or a Graphics card upgrade, I guarantee you'll get tons more use and a better gaming experience from any of these things over a pair of gimmicky 3-d glasses.

BloodHound87[uSMC]

THEATRE OF OPERATIONS HQ

KILO 3/1; 11th MEU-SOC.

RANKED#1: OFP 1vs1; DMLEAGUE.COM

RANKED#1: OFP 1vs1; OFPLEAGUE.COM

tounge.gif

8Ball,

I've been using mine for several months now and I don't think I'll ever stop.  When I'm not using them, everything is just so, well, flat.  Everyone I know who bought them when I did feels the same way.  I'd say go with the glasses first, get the immersiveness feeling, then add surround speakers, etc (or you could get that force feedback surround sound chair from edimensional if you have $200 wink.gif ).  My shooting accuracy is way up, which I would expect because i can gauge distance and angles so much better.  Aside from that, they are just plain NEAT.  I think they are a fad for the less hard-core, who go from game to game and never really get into it.  For those of us who are up all night playing our favorite game until we have to go to work in the morning, i would do anything to make my gameplay more exciting and realistic, and that's exactly what these do.

I'll be receiving mine today in the afternoon, so I'll post back with my thoughts / opinions / conclusion later on.

Can't wait!

.:iX

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (williek @ Mar. 26 2002,13:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With regards to this post:

interesting gif

Seventh has this post about the glasses with more info coming soon:

"if you have time I suggest you check out some pretty cool new hardware that works with OFP and other games. Its Edimensional 3D Glasses, they are damn good and about the same price as a good joystick. I've tried similar glasses before ( I think we all have ) but they were pretty ordinary and weren't worth the time or money to setup, but it looks like these guys have got it right. New Nvidia drivers support them as well...

Also they have a motion tracking system as well that is pretty funky... check them out Here and read the reviews from all well known gaming sites, all have said the same thing as me...One really cool effect is to have a fire fight in a forest very trippy in 3D..."

I'd say my accuracy went way up since I got mine.  definitely a must have for the hard core smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Alright this is the post ive been looking for. ive been eye balling these glasses for a while and i wasnt sure whether i should get the glasses or not.

Now i am sure. now its a matter of when. oh ya another thing.

wired or wireless?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JustinCase @ Mar. 28 2002,11:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it the Vision master Pro411 ? I've got one of those, but can't find the proper specs...<span id='postcolor'>

That's a 17" right?

From Dabs......

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">640 x 480 / 140 Hz Åž 800 x 600 / 111 Hz Åž 1024 x 768 / 86 Hz Åž 1152 x 864 / 76 Hz Åž 1280 x 1024 / 65 Hz<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=WXY

Well, I guess  everyones got a different opinion, I've tried them extensively . I had some fun with them , but I didnt notice my game improve in any real way, I for one didnt shoot any better, even though I shoot pretty good now, I still maintain most peoples money would be better spent elsewhere unless they have money to burn and I'm as hardcore as you can get, I havent played practically anything but OFP since September but hey if it improved your game, more power to you....They are cool, though, they just didnt make me want to keep them on for more than 30 mins at a time and definitely not during a real match....

BloodHound87[uSMC]

THEATRE OF OPERATIONS HQ

KILO 3/1; 11th MEU-SOC.

I agree with 8Ball. I had some fun playing SOF with them and it was pretty good, but nothing amazing. I once tried playing Tactical Ops with them and got my behind whipped, like it had never been whipped before. For one, I could only run it in low-rez because of my crappy monitor (huge difference when you are used to play in 1280 and have to settle for 640). The other thing was that aiming was bloody impossible.

It should be noted that the ASUS glasses that came with my GF3 are really cheap&crappy and the same goes for the drivers. My monitor sucks bigt ime too (17" Compaq - leftover from my old computer). I assume that if you have better glasses and a better monitor that the experience is more impressive.

That will have a lot to do with it. I saw 3D glasses a while ago and I think they were ASUS. Their old drivers make aiming extremely difficult because you can't make the sight sharp and clear. With these glasses I can control the convergence of different sight planes, so close objects can be sharp and appear close to you and objects in the distance still retain the 3D "depth." Between the drivers and the old monitor, that will cause the low res, which must be annoying when you're used to running at 1280.

Initial Impressions:

OMFG. It's as if these glasses were M-A-D-E for OFP. Some other games look really nice...I mean really nice. Others (Dark Age of Camelot, Quake III) look no different...

But Operation Flashpoint is a WHOLE_NEW_GAME with these glasses.

Further impressions to come. Bohemia should put together a "Platinum" package and put these glasses in there along with the Resistance expansion.

All the other glasses I've tried (Asus, Wicked3D, etc.) were paltry compared to these. I don't know what's physically different....but I've NEVER gotten an experience like this with 3D glasses before.

heh. Back to OFP <zip tang>

I installed the NVIDIA 3-D Glasses driver in anticipation of receiving my eDimensional glasses, and I noticed that NVIDIA rates the games for which they provide profiles based on their suitability for 3-D glasses.

On a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being best), OFP got a 1. Clearly, not all games will benefit as much as OFP does from 3-D glasses, and may in fact provide a disappointing experience.

How bout listing a couple of other games and their ratings for comparison? Say things like GR, Max Payne, Q3 series, anything else recent?

Sure. Actually, the ratings are broken down into the Stereo Value Rating (SVR) and Stereo Compatibility Rating (SCR). I'm reproducing the information below, along with the notes included about the game.

<span style='font-family:Courier'>Game            SVR     SCR    Notes

OFP             1       1      DX 8.0

4x4 Evolution   1       1      (None)

Ghost Recon     (Not listed)

Max Payne       1       3      Incorrect 3D object placement

Incorrect Clipping of subviews

Views thru open passageways have garbage on

the sides. Some effects, blood, etc are at

wrong depth.

Quake III Arena 1       1      Gunsight or Pointer is 2D object

Serious Sam     1       1      Incorrect 3D object placement

Horizon/some objects at incorrect depth.

Tribes 2        1       5      NOT RECOMMENDED FOR STEREO GAME PLAY

DX 8.0 Also has D3D API support

Incorrect 3D object placement

UT              1       2      Turn off Volumetric Lighting & Coronas

in UntrealTournament.ini. Set cursor to black.

Incorrect 3D object placement

Gunsight or Pointer is 2D object

Cursor is 2D, Light Halo effects are 2D.</span>

(Edited to fix Iconboard's retarded TAB handling)

(Edit #3: I give up -- it doesn't line up the same way as in Notepad mad.gif )

v28.32 Stereo 3D Nvidia Driver can be found here.

http://www.nvchips-fr.com/download/downloads.php?Category=10

For some reason the .ZIP file has two files in it (both appear identical). These versions are MUCH newer than the 23.11 version available from eDimensional.

Further impressions of eDimensional: Aces High and Grand Prix Legends are also phenomenal....Not as good as OFP, but truly fantastic.

I'm going to replay the entire campaign with the 3D glasses enabled ! smile.gif

woo hoo!

17"- Compaq FS740 Monitor (16.0" VIA) Flat Screen w/ speakers

The Compaq FS740 17" flat screen multimedia monitor delivers brighter, sharper, higher contrast images for an awesome internet and gaming experience.The detachable or attachable monitor powered JBL Platinum Series Speakers offer crisp sound and the convenience of a digital audio player jack. Just plug in your digital audio player and listen to tunes without powering up your PC. The Compaq FS740 is styled to match the cool new look of the Presario desktop PCs. With a dot pitch at .25 mm and 1280 x 1024 resolution you'll enjoy incredibly clear, sharp images. A simple on screen display menu helps you easily adjust screen dimensions, colors and image attributes. Just plug your monitor into your PC and you're ready to go. It also includes an integrated microphone with built-in, high-quality voice recognition.

Specifications

1280 x 1024 resolution

.25 mm dot pitch

this is some info on my monitor i found can anybody tell me if it will support the glasses? thx! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (paintfreak67 @ Mar. 30 2002,00:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">17"- Compaq FS740 Monitor (16.0" VIA) Flat Screen w/ speakers

<Snip>

this is some info on my monitor i found can anybody tell me if it will support the glasses? thx! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It can apparently do up to 120Hz vertically, which should be enough for the glasses. On the other hand, it seems that it can do a maximum of 85Hz at 1024x768, for example. In fact, I don't see a single resolution where it comes close to 120Hz. You need about 50Hz per eye (100Hz total) for headache-free play. The bottom lines is that it should work, but it is border-line.

Here are your monitor's specs:

Compatibility: PC only

Display type: Color, multifrequency, flat screen

Display size: 17 inches

Diagonal viewable screen size: 16 inches

Tube type: Flat square, short length

Dot/pixel pitch: 0.25 millimeters

Glass surface: Antiglare, antireflective

Input signals: Sync TTL, 75 ohms +/- 3 percent, digital audio port, line input jack

Input connector/cable: 15-pin miniature D-sub

Maximum noninterlaced resolution: 1,280 x 1,024

Maximum refresh rate: 85 Hz

Horizontal frequency: 31 to 70 kHz

Vertical frequency: 50 to 120 Hz

Power on/off: Yes

Contrast: Yes

Brightness: Yes

Horizontal/vertical position: Yes

Horizontal/vertical size: Yes

Color temperature: Yes

Pincushion: Yes

Pin-balance: Yes

Degauss: Yes

Trapezoid: Yes

Parallelogram: Yes

Rotation: Yes

Recall: Yes

Width: 17.9 inches

Height: 17.7 inches

Depth: 16.4 inches

Weight: 52.8 pounds

Warranty, parts: 1 year

Warranty, labor: 1 year

Speakers: 2, 3 watts RMS per channel at 10 percent THD

Speaker frequency response: 100 Hz to 20 kHz

Speaker cord length: 5 feet to CPU, 5 feet from speaker to speaker

Speaker weight: 3 pounds

Microphone: Integrated Telex

DISPLAY RESOLUTIONS REFRESH RATES

1280 x 1024 60 Hz (max resolution)

1024 x 768 85 Hz (max flicker-free)

1024 x 768 75 and 60 Hz

800 x 600 85, 75 and 60 Hz

720 x 400 70 Hz

640 x 480 85 and 60 Hz

640 x 400 70 Hz

Is there a big difference between different brands of 3Dglasses? Are there edimensional a lot better than the ones from Asus, MSI or ELSA?

Has anyone seen a review of all possible brands?

All the ones I've tried (the ones you just listed...Elsa, Asus, eyeScream).....did not look nearly as good. This is just personal experience.

Here's a Tech Support reply I got from eDimensional:

"The other glasses such as Asus and some taiwanese glasses are of less quality in their video support. The hardware is not as good. Basically they aren't as good and they are less comfortable in actual physical fitting, etc."