Sign in to follow this  
djkmac

Crashing to Desktop Still.... NO answers or fixes

Hi, I bought this game through File planet a couple months back, and Gone through 2 patches and still no fix to my only problem...

It happens in editor mostly, but also happens in Multiplayer as well. For some reason, the game gives me a windows error randomly and shuts off. I tried limiting memory in game, everything i seen on these forums. I did some testing and saw that the game would crash a lot more if I placed Units far from me. Is there any thing else people have tried? When this will be fixed? There shouldnt have to be loop holes to get a program working.

System Specs...

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)

System Manufacturer: OEM

System Model: OEM

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Page File: 1338MB used, 2974MB available

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 280

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 1775 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1011 MB

Shared Memory: 763 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 8.15.0011.9038 (English)

DDI Version: 10

I still CTD as well but turning off grass seems to fix it most times

Otherwise as long as I am done a long session of MP and kill the game and dont start another match right away I wont CTD

Ive tried it all as well (yes the usual -winxp etc.) and I still get them all the time. Still no fix as far as I know. I find it funny (no in the HAHA way) they have released 4 patches and everyone still gets them...

Vista 64

i7 920

GTX285

6GB RAM

try turning your settings on normal and view distance 3000 and AA off. (doesnt look as good obviously , but you get use to it. People that do this have experienced less crashing to almost no crashing.

I'm now getting Crash to Desktop every time I get in a high graphic enviroment like flying an aircraft.

Got a new i7 920 with a GTX 275 graphics card. Great performance over my old quad core AMD black box 2.5Ghz with a GTS 8800 graphics card, but at least that never crashed (except overheating!)

I've got from 12fps to 60fps, but can't play long without a crash to desktop! Tried running with Vista64 and Win7-32bit. -winxp, -cpucount=4, turning off physx etc and varying all the in game settings. Used the latest and the new beta nvidia drivers, all to no avail.

Any clues anyone?

~Z~

Turned off Hyper Threading? Is your CPU overclocked?

Try loading BIOS to default settings then disable Hyper Threading and try Arma 2 after that.

There is a theory floating around that can be tested very quickly..

If you are having graphics related CTDs etc try the following:

-There are four (5) settings for graphics quality within ArmA 2..

1) Low (theory is this is for GPUs with 128 MB of VRAM on board)

2) Normal (presumed 256 MB GPU VRAM)

3) High (512 MB VRAM)

4) Very High (1 GB VRAM)

5) Default (ArmA tries to 'auto-detect' CPU VRAM)

Try setting ArmA manually (ie do NOT use 'Default) to the appropriate level for you GPU....both exactly (ie High for a 512 MB GPU) or one level down (ie 'Normal' for a 512 MB GPU).

Note: If you have a card 'in-between' these parameters (eg 640 MB of VRAM) then set ArmA to one level below or 'Normal' in this case.

If this is an improper detection of VRAM issue then this quick test will help prove it.

Folks are also reporting the new beta drivers from nVidia is helping with this issue as well (191.03 beta).

Please post your results so others can benefit from all of this testing. This is the way ArmA 1 worked so it's worth a quick test. Of course this assumes no other issues are contributing to this problem.

Hopefully this gets properly sorted out so the full amount of GPU VRAM is utilized. In the mean time however if this does help at least play is not interrupted while a fix is pending.

Traveling in a fast moving helo or fixed wing aircraft while looking outside reportedly will force the crash to occur quicker than most other things. This will help prove/disprove the theory.

Best of luck

Credit: Bushlurker et al for connecting the dots and opening the dev-heaven ticket.

Edited by Akilez
typo

The CPU and GPU are both overclocked, but by the suppliers so I'm loath to reset to factory bios as I paid to have it shipped pre-clocked! Will look into disabling hyperthreading though, if it's an easy switch to turn off. (and doesn't effect the overclocking?) btw all cpu and gpu temperatures (air cooled) are fine under load, and systems passed various stress tests no problems.

I've tried putting my old GTS 8800 card in instead of the 275, as I heard the problem was only with the higher end cards - but it still happens, so it points towards the i7 chip i've brought.

As for the in-game graphics settings, i've tried every setting from low to very high, all resulting in CTD when flying. Not tried default though I believe.

~Z~

I have my CPU set on a simple overclock (@3.5Ghz) but I notice that if I change some of the advanced settings for a more stable advanced overclock then everything else runs fine but Arma 2 crashes constantly (even @3.0)

update - played about 2 hours tonight with Hyperthreading disabled in the Bios, most of it flying the Cobra and Huey - no crash! (until I was flying back to base to log out, but after 2 hours, I'm not complaining!

So first impressions, seems like hyperthreading was largely my problem. Thanks for all the advise, and hope others benefit from this info

~Z~

I have mine up to 3.5 hours or so. Its still not long enough though...you get into the game and then the damn thing crashes.

But I have been running the ARMA 2 graphics settings at normal and a few of them at low.

Turned off overclocking seems to help in the equation as well.

I just did some testing and the ONLY thing that settled things down was the 191.03 drivers plus disabling HyperThreading. No other combination of Video Memory settings, configuration entries or detail levels did any good at all.

Rig:

i7 920 @ 3.2 Ghz

X58 (ASUS R2E w/1504) HyperThreading DISABLED

6 GB Corsair Dominators DDR3

GTX 295

NVidia 191.03 Drivers

I was able to correct my CTD's by reverting back to forceware 186.18 drivers. I was able to play for 3 hours last night without a single crash.

C2D q9550

EVGA 260 (216) SC (1650x1080)

X48

8Gb Dominator

Most settings are normal of high, post processing off. I average around 30fps.

With the current 190.62 drivers I was CTD after about 15 minutes online.