Sign in to follow this  
halleyelec

Automating apron tasks

Word up me fettlers!

I was just wondering how easy it would be to, as the title states, automate apron tasks.

So imagine this.... You have just dropped your last bomb and you're just about the fly to base to reload. Instead of having to land and then taxi to a nearby refuel / rearm truck, how about them coming to you?

So you'd land and taxi to just outside the hangers. If you stop in a designated area, the refuel / rearm trucks come to you and make it look more interesting. say making them drive out of a compound, up the apron and stopping nearby. After job done, they drive off and you can then take off again.

How possible is that?

Sounds good.

It's a bit funny that in most cases, you have to land your multimillion$ aircraft, get out and drive a support truck by yourself to get rearmed/refueled/repaired. :D

But I don't think that the arma2 AI is smart enough to drive a truck near you without: driving straight into the aircraft, explode in a huge fireball, setting chernaurus on fire and starting World War III.

MfG Lee ;)

But I don't think that the arma2 AI is smart enough to drive a truck near you without: driving straight into the aircraft, explode in a huge fireball, setting chernaurus on fire and starting World War III.

It'd be easy enough to script in a mission using triggers and waypoint commands. The problem as you rightly said though is the AI. Give me a week or two, I'll have an experiment.

coolies! I suppse really you could spawn them from in a hanger and the after job done they could vanish.

I've been thinking. If you're going to use triggers, that would mean that anyone could walk into the trigger area and set off the script? Would it therefore be better for an aircraft to come to a stop and then use a radio? maybe then heli's could land somewhere safer and get the script to move the refuel / rearm to them on the airbase.

coolies! I suppse really you could spawn them from in a hanger and the after job done they could vanish.

I've been thinking. If you're going to use triggers, that would mean that anyone could walk into the trigger area and set off the script? Would it therefore be better for an aircraft to come to a stop and then use a radio? maybe then heli's could land somewhere safer and get the script to move the refuel / rearm to them on the airbase.

I'm trying to set something up like Kronzky's Minefield activation code for them, but yeah, I'm just using radios at the moment. The problem is the AI seem hell bent on ploughing into the multi million pound government vehicle loaded with Avgas!

It wasn't initially a request. It was a discussion about whether it would be possible.... I still don't feel as its a request as its a WIP with Goose4291.

Give the ammo/fuel trucks a support waypoint and use the command menu? Worked fine in OFP/ArmA, havent tested it in ArmA2.

yeah waypoints are fine but what if you're 6ft away from where their waypoint is?

What if at the time of landing at a base, the refuel and rearm become part of your group and then you can tell them where to go? when done, you can separate?

EDIT:- well maybe more than 6ft!!

yeah waypoints are fine but what if you're 6ft away from where their waypoint is?

The 'Support' waypoint gives you the option to call them to you using the command menu, the placement of the waypoint itself doesnt really matter. It just tells them where to wait until they are called upon.