Sign in to follow this  
Raddik

HD Video - Steam Catapult for LHD

All,

I've been working on adding a steam catapult on the LHD near Utes for my Uber Air Combat mission. It's been a week or so and I wanted to show what I've been able to put together thus far.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIT0xpWgw6o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIT0xpWgw6o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

At first I was like, "wow, finally a carrier video without the top gun soundtrack" and then :(

lol same, nice work on the catapult :)

You guys think I should remove the music trigger? :P It was just for the video, so no worries. I'm working on a set of new textures for the LHD deck to make it look more convincing. Final step will be the creation of the steam effect...since I cannot find one someone has already made I'll need to start from scratch. None-the-less I should have an alpha out to the community next week.

Raddik

it's great , execpt that there's no capatult on a LHD ...

Guess I'd better delete everything and stop then... :(

all aircraft embarqued on LHD are helo or have VTOL capabilities,(F35,MV22,AV8)

But your're script could be usefull if someone everdoes a real carrier for ARMA II

FWIW... I know that there isn't a catapult system on an LHD. This was simply easier than either importing something someone made for Arma 1 or making a new carrier from scratch. I think most people around here understand that.

The Nimitz can be ported over quite simply. In fact, I just put it in the addons folder and it worked without having to make config changes. Maybe you can ask for permission to convert it?

Abs

Abs, thanks for the info. That is very cool...going to tinker with it tonight!

Raddik

No problem, mate...I just hope you can get permission. I hope to see this fully developed! :D

Abs

Well, I've got a brief progress update to share with you all.

-The system fully functional on a spawned LHD.

-After talking with a couple Navy buddies I've redone the launch code to make the accelleration as realistic as possible.

-I've redesigned everything so you can use it without addons.

-For ease of use, the system is built around a single 'invisible' helicopter pad. You set the height of the pad and everything works around it. The system even work on airstrips should you choose to get creative.

-The system is fully compatable with all fixed wing aircraft (minus the UAV).

-I also built in a safety mechanism that prevents multiple aircraft from teleporting into the launch space.

-Finally, I have changed the notifications for the launch sequence over to hints.

I'll have another HD video up this evening featuring all these changes.

I am looking for 2-3 beta testers to help me test eveything next week. Please PM me if you would like to be included. I would like to release this a week from Monday.

Raddik

Edited by Raddik

Nothing bothers me more than seeing asshat comments towards a promising modder. I don't care what size boat the steam catapult gets used on... Your mod is going to kick ass regardless. Can't wait to try it.