Sign in to follow this  
laukejas

Few questions about mouse sensitivity and shadows

Hello, people,

A few problems brought me to this forum. I hope someone can spare a few minutes to help me overcome these problems. Thank you in advance.

First of all, I'm using Operation Flashpoint GOTY edition, version 1.96.

My first question is about mouse sensitivity. I have no problem to change it in controls menu, and I feel the result when looking around, targeting, etc. But my mouse look (looking around with head only) is way too slow, and I can change it via mentioned menu. Since I use head-only look very often, I find this very uncomfortable. I want this free look to be twice as sensitive as my normal look. What can I do?

Second question is about shadows (not related to the first one). I noticed that not all the objects generate shadows, esspecially at night. Looks like that objects lighted by artificial lights (street lamps, etc) do not generate shadows at all. For example, if there is a house by the street lamp, it looks enlighten from all sides, and does not generate shadow. How can I fix this? I have enabled all the shadows via menu, but still no effect.

Also, I would like to see all the shadows much darker then they are now. Is it possible?

If anyone can answer at least one of these questions, or just ask something I forgot to mention, please spare a few minutes :)

Thank you.

To your first question: There's already a discussion thread about the same issue here. Maybe it will give you the answer to your problem.

As to your second question: OFP doesn't have fully dynamic shadows, so shadows cannot be casted by artificial lights. I'm not sure if it's possible to make the shadows darker either. I was experiencing with this earlier with no luck.

Well, that thread is about something different... I can't find answer there...

Ah, should have read more carefully... Well, as far as I know, the "free-look" sensitivity isn't configurable, so you've got to live with it.

Too sad... By the way, I just remembered one more question:

When zooming in with iron sights, binoculars or scope, sometimes I experience extremely low framerates, especially when looking into the forest, and at dusk/dawn. May someone help me on this, or redirect to the topic where this problem is solved? My own search proved no results.

Normal OFP problem unfortunately, no fix other than turning down graphics.

STGN

Yes that's a problem that apparently has not been fixed even in ArmA as i read report of the same thing in this game forum too.

Using fraps i can see my framerate losing up to 70% on Everon by just looking at a forest when i put myself on coordinate Fa49 ! And if it was only numbers it would not be a problem, but you feel the game is not smooth when it happens.

The only way i found to lower this strange framerate hit is to lower the "quality" slider in the ingame video option.

Limiting the lods in the flashpoint.cfg, changing resolution or color depth etc... improve nothing on this framerate drop, only this quality ingame setting seems to make a real difference.

With this setting at half the slider, i lose "only" 40% when looking at a forest that's a lot better as the framerate remain then high enough so the performance drop is not as noticable.

I had original Operation Flashpoint before GOTY, and I do not remember that kind of problem... Could it come with Resistance?

On my older system, even with Resistance, i never observed this problem, and at the time i don't remember anynone reporting such problem on the boards.

At some point, i began to see reports of this problem, and once i got a better system myself, this problem began to be noticable.

I guess this has more to do with the framerate drop, in my older system, the framerate was of course lower, so when it was dropping in front of a forest, the difference was not very noticable, if at all.

But with a more powerfull system, the framerate is way higher, and so the drop in front of a forest is then visually clearly more pronounced.

I can't really understand why framerate drops. It looks like it is because when I zoom in, trees appear in higher resolution textures. But field of view becomes very small, so shouldn't video card handle that few textures easily? For example, if I move near those trees, and they appear in higher resolution, I have no framerate drop, although my field of view is much higher compared to the one when looking through scope.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

One more question, not to create new post (not related to ones before):

In Operation Flashpoint, I like to use as much stealth as possible, esspecially when preparing ambushes, getting information about enemy locations, etc. During this, I find two problems:

1. Movement is way too fast, even when walk toggle key (f) is pressed. Sometimes I really need to move centimetre by centimetre. Is there a way to do this?

2. AI soldiers of my squad sneaks terribly. They get spotted in silly situations, although I report enemy observer positions to them. Is there a way to make them more slow and careful while sneaking? They often ruin my ambush plans, by trying to crawl in front of enemy squad, rather then waiting for it to pass on.

1. lightly tab the forward key. But this rely is not a stealth game like splinter cell so the movement i course and relatively fast. use ww4 mod its speed has been lowered to more realistic speeds than normal OFP.

2. Well the AI is not designed to sneak its focused on fighting so its your job to make them able to get the job done you have to directly tell them where to go and point them in direction you want them to look making them go prone makes them slow. This works most of the time although I have tried missions where I can't get them to look in the direction I want.

STGN

I always use AI in stealth position.

One thing i find in ofp that if you go in standing position(with teammates) and fast speed than you can easliy kill the AI who standing or walking.

STGN, I tried that ww4 mod - looks great, but the crawling speed isn't reduced... Have you heard about any other addons which has this feature?

I think that in real war, stealth plays big role. Although it is not possible to sneak few feet behind enemy soldier like in SC, AI shouldn't try to run when they are in range of enemy machine gun, or "hide" in middle of the field with no cover.

STGN, I tried that ww4 mod - looks great, but the crawling speed isn't reduced... Have you heard about any other addons which has this feature?

You can change the animations speed yourself manually. It is not rocket science as it is in fact very easy even if you never modified anything in OFP, as it involves just changing a line in a text file :

If you want to change the crawling speed in ww4 by example, just go in the bin folder and open the config.cpp (it is a text file)

Search for

class LyingCrawlF:LyingNoAim

you will see few lines below it

speed=-1.0;

if you change it into

speed=-2;

by example, it will make the crawling forward 2 time slower than default

with a

speed=-1.5;

It would make it 1,5 time slower etc.. etc...

You can make it quicker with by example a

speed=-0.5;

as you see this speed=.... line is what define the speed of the animation you trigger ingame by moving around.

the other 7 crawling direction are those animations

class LyingCrawlLF:LyingCrawlF

class LyingCrawlRF:LyingCrawlF

class LyingCrawlL:LyingCrawlF

class LyingCrawlR:LyingCrawlL

class LyingCrawlLB:LyingCrawlL

class LyingCrawlRB:LyingCrawlL

class LyingCrawlB:LyingCrawlL

each of them has a speed=.... line that you can modify to tweak the animation speed exactly to your liking.

I think that in real war, stealth plays big role. Although it is not possible to sneak few feet behind enemy soldier like in SC, AI shouldn't try to run when they are in range of enemy machine gun, or "hide" in middle of the field with no cover.

Unfortunately, the OFP AI does not understand the concept of moving tactically and using covers correctly, they always try to keep formation whatever the cost and usually run out of cover to their death when they spot an away target.

When you are setting an ambush, remember to order them to hold fire to prevent them to give away your ambush location (as they will always try to shoot or run to a target if you don't tell them to hold fire), and place them manually from your command view instead of telling them to go "stealth" hoping they would go to cover themselves (as they will always fail doing that intelligently).

Then select one of your soldier and press the ALT key and click on the direction you want this AI to watch.

If you want when you spot the enemy you can order individually your AI by selecting them and right click on the target (do not left click or they will engage).

Once the enemy is in range of your AI guns, just order them all to Open Fire and enjoy.

It is possible to do some effective ambush by babysitting the troops AI like this.

Edited by Sanctuary

Yes stealth is important in real life when your not fighting but speed and movement is what keeps you alive i combat which is the focus of this game and the AI is designed for larger scale infantry combat not special actions of sneaking up close to the enemy that is reserved for the player unfortunately.

You could lower the speed but you would loose the speed you need for covering distance when at prone.

The AI is designed for charging the enemy not sneaking around so that is the limitation of the game very frustrating at times, but with control from the player it can be diminished. Instead of sneaking up on your enemy, try setting up an ambush and then lure him out in to it.

STGN

Sanctuary, thank you very much for your tutorial. I highly appreciate it :)

One more question: what these directions

class LyingCrawlLF:LyingCrawlF

class LyingCrawlRF:LyingCrawlF

class LyingCrawlL:LyingCrawlF

class LyingCrawlR:LyingCrawlL

class LyingCrawlLB:LyingCrawlL

class LyingCrawlRB:LyingCrawlL

class LyingCrawlB:LyingCrawlL

mean? Is it possible to add one more, associated with new key in the keyboard? For example, make F key toggle on/off the slow movement while crawling like when walking?

in those class names you have :

L = left

R = right

F = forward

B = backward

Then LB/RB/LF/RF are the diagonals.

Is it possible to add one more, associated with new key in the keyboard? For example, make F key toggle on/off the slow movement while crawling like when walking?

Currently the way BIS configured them, there are only 2 speeds : normal crawl and fast crawl.

But it is very possible to have a 3rd speed mode to point to other animation classe (as in their system BIS redirected the "slow" crawl to the same animations as the normal crawl).

In fact when you press F you are in "slow crawl" mode, but you don't notice because BIS redirected the anims to the same as the normal crawl mode.

I think i will add this for the WW4 upgrade, the 3rd speed BIS did not implemented, the slow crawl will be made by just slowed down crawl animations. this way you will be able to press F to "slow crawl" like you press F to slow walk or slow crouch walk

I have one question,when i said my mate AI they dont do anything,if i see an enemy soldier than i select him and drag mouse on enemy soldiers.than they attack enemy.if i say engage by selectin soldier they did not do anything.

Is there anything which we can do in game.

Thank you, Sanctuary. When you will plan to release that upgrade?

Thank you :) two more questions raised to me: first related with these movement speeds. If I make crawling slower via config, will it be harder for enemy AI to spot me while I'm crawling?

Another question is not related. Is it possible to be able to move while viewing through binoculars, like I can move while looking through scope/iron sights? What should I modify in config (or somewhere else)?

Making the movement speed slower indeed does make you less noisy. I'm not sure if it's linked to the "speed" or "duty" value, since I'm not into the animations so much, but I'm 100% sure that slower movement makes you less noisy. I can remember crawling behind enemies without them hearing me, but if I sprinted, they would hear me much easier.

It is also possible to move and look through the optics at the same time. You'd need to first extend the Binocular animations though, since they're kinda limited in vanilla OFP, to be able to move with them. By giving the animations the following definition in the config, you should be able to move while keeping your eyes on the optics:

enableOptics=1;

There are many enableoptics commands in config. Which one represents to the binoculars?

Actually I'm not even sure anymore how is it done. I also found this config definition from the "Binocular" animations, which makes me confused: :Oo:

enableBinocular=1;

Sanctuary, if anyone, would know about those animation things, so you'd better rely on him for the most reliable info.

I have tried so many time to make the soldier able to walk with binocular, modified the config of those , the states, created even specific thingyactions classes in dozen of different way, i even had the rtm animation done for it, but ingame the soldier has always refused to move as soon as the binocular is on.

So either someone else knows how to do it and can help, or by pure luck i will figure out what i am not doing correctly, or it is an hardcoded damn thing that nothing in the config can circumvent.