Sign in to follow this  
vasmkd

Making my 1st addon

Hi Guyz

I am totally new to this addon making stuff and have never tried it before. I want to start making my own addons and those videos gnat put up got me thinking.

For a 1st addon i want to put my favourite hunting rifle tikka M595 stainless all weather in 308 winchester into the game. Do u guyz think this would be hard as i'm a total noob to this?

I am pretty experienced in photoshop etc but i never tried 3d textures

Can i just put bis's cz scoped hunting rifle into editor and totally change textures and shape and ballistics n stuff...or is that not legal?

I would then try my favourite scrub gun a Marlin 1894SS in 44 mag

This is a pic i took of my favourite 2 guns (tikka top, marlin bottom)

P1020158.JPG

Edited by vasmkd

I guess the first question is: what skills do you have?

Have you modelled before? UV mapped? Textured?

Once you answer these, we can point you in the best direction to get started.

Abs

Only textured stuff in Photoshop. That's it...total noob willing to try something new as learning aint a problem but i need to be pointed in the right direction as i want to start somewhere and learn only what i need to learn. If i eventually get my Tikka to the addon phase id'e be stoked if i don't aleast i will know i tried ;).

I would think a rifle would probably be one of the easier playable things to start with...let me know if i'm wrong.

I have an interest in playing around with things and wether i succeed or not is not that important, just the challenge of trying to learn something new and keeping myself busy.

just watching vids where they imported already done 3d models and see how things were done in oxygen looked interesting and i found understanding them pretty simple too. i know creating a new 3d model with textures is a different story but i was hoping working off an existing model would be easier if it's legal to do so ofcourse

Are the BIS editing tools and photoshop all that is needed?

hoping working off an existing model would be easier if it's legal to do so ofcourse

Yeah its completely legal to use any models released by BIS (for non-profit activites etc), the problem is they havent really released anything other than the sample character model, so its not really possible to get hold of the CZ rifle.

Might be worth having a look at the released models for ARMA 1 though, the release contains pretty much every weapon/vehicle/character from the game and for weapons the models seem to work fine in ARMA 2.

IIRC there is the M24 model in the ARMA1 pack which you could maybe use...

IIRC there is the M24 model in the ARMA1 pack which you could maybe use...

Cool, The ballistics would be pretty much the same as its 308 win and so would the damage it causes

I have a mil-dot on mine but maybe i'll just use a standard scope and i'm sure trying to change the reticles to mil-dot won't be too frustrating

heres a easy to use

its for ofp buuuuut it does apply in parts to arma

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials.htm

good luck

Wow awesome link, that's the type of tuturials i'm looking for:). The browning they used is very similar :)

Might take a noob like me a long time but i'll give it a shot and i'm sure the community will help me if i need help (lol , probably 99% certain i'll need it)

For an experienced person would my project be a breeze?

Edited by vasmkd

hoping working off an existing model would be easier if it's legal to do so ofcourse

It depends really, if the weapon was being modelled from scratch then it would probably take ages for an "expert", obviously getting used to the editing software is one of the things that will slow you down but once you get going you'll probably make steady progress.