Sign in to follow this  
coolts

Badlands.....Bohemian Rhapsody

I take the first town. My 3 initial units take a beating but can’t be reinforced in this mission. At all. Send them off to pick flowers then.

I set up my “mobile HQâ€, which then becomes static. When I take the next town, I can’t move the HQ nearer the front line, which becomes an issue because.....

All my men get slaughtered in the next attack, but that’s fine because I take the base and I can reinforce at the new base can’t I?

.....Except all I get is “...receiving†when I pull up the “buy units†screen in the newly conquered base. “Oh, well. Let’s find a Skodaâ€.

I drive all the way back to my original base, recruit reinforcements then order them to the front. They won’t fit in my Skoda so they have to walk. Al the way. Need a bus. Cliff Richard, “summer holidayâ€, style.

Razor team might as well be girl scouts for their combat effectiveness and are a giant millstone as one death signals “revertâ€, so you find nice cottage miles from the front. There is no “tea and biscuitsâ€, command so you get them to guard a shrubbery. That should keep them out of trouble. Mind the thorns though, “oh no, 2 is downâ€, WEAR GLOVES WHEN PRUNING NUMBER 2.

Taken two towns now. All my drones are dead again. Another town, another Skoda, another trip back to Novy Sobor, and another walk for my men to the new front.

Is this a dream?

Edited by coolts

Yes it is. It's the kind where you suck at taking towns :P

Use the 2 technicals and ONLY Razor team to take the first town. Use them to provide support and go in yourself and spot targets for your team.

Only after getting first town, use your resistance fighters to take other towns. Don't be agressive, be sneaky when taking towns.

Be SURE to buy RPG. For them APCs, ya know?

It's actually pretty logical that HQ can't be moved, when it becomes static ;) Use the technicals to move around. And buy a truck for other bought units. Simple actually. DONT rush when taking towns.

So you buy a truck, drive back to the main base. Load up troops, then drive back to the front and drop them off?

Can this be automated in any way? Taxi driving doesn’t sound like much fun when you’re not being paid.

I'm not there yet (Just built my base in Badlands), but generally you should be able to tell the driver of the truck to drive to a certain location via the map. It should all work remotely.

I take the first town. My 3 initial units take a beating but can’t be reinforced in this mission. At all. Send them off to pick flowers then.

I set up my “mobile HQâ€, which then becomes static. When I take the next town, I can’t move the HQ nearer the front line, which becomes an issue because.....

All my men get slaughtered in the next attack, but that’s fine because I take the base and I can reinforce at the new base can’t I?

.....Except all I get is “...receiving†when I pull up the “buy units†screen in the newly conquered base. “Oh, well. Let’s find a Skodaâ€.

I drive all the way back to my original base, recruit reinforcements then order them to the front. They won’t fit in my Skoda so they have to walk. Al the way. Need a bus. Cliff Richard, “summer holidayâ€, style.

Razor team might as well be girl scouts for their combat effectiveness and are a giant millstone as one death signals “revertâ€, so you find nice cottage miles from the front. There is no “tea and biscuitsâ€, command so you get them to guard a shrubbery. That should keep them out of trouble. Mind the thorns though, “oh no, 2 is downâ€, WEAR GLOVES WHEN PRUNING NUMBER 2.

Taken two towns now. All my drones are dead again. Another town, another Skoda, another trip back to Novy Sobor, and another walk for my men to the new front.

Is this a dream?

This is hilarious. Bugs can be funny. I admire your attitude - someone else might be furious with all the buggy tom-foolery. Bravo!

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

So you buy a truck, drive back to the main base. Load up troops, then drive back to the front and drop them off?

Can this be automated in any way? Taxi driving doesn’t sound like much fun when you’re not being paid.

I don't know but if you can buy troops without actually being there you could simply order one of your troops to drive back there (or maybe posess them when they get there if you can't order new troops at range?) then get them to all get in the vehicle and drive back.

...It's not ideal though...

Can i buy troops without "actually being there" though. how?

I am baffled by this game. Love it. Hate it.

Between this, Empire:Total War and DCS: Black shark, I am in full on SIM mod, but trying to explain to my other half that when she hears me roaring "FOR F***S SAKE" from upstairs, i am actually 'having fun" can be difficult.

Edited by coolts

Can i buy troops without "actually being there" though. how?

I am baffled by this game. Love it. Hate it.

Between this, Empire:Total War and DCS: Black shark, I am in full on SIM mod, but trying to explain to my other half that when she hears me roaring "FOR F***S SAKE" from upstairs, i am actually 'having fun" can be difficult.

Know the scenario well.

It's a bit like a super model - with herpes. You really want to play, but the bugs are irritating.

It's not like there's much resistance to speak off. Buy a BRDM and an RPG and do it all yourself.

Maturin - Thats what i was thinking. What a way to run a war!

It's not like there's much resistance to speak off. Buy a BRDM and an RPG and do it all yourself.
I totally agree. In fact, for pretty much all the campaign, I spend my time doing everything myself having tried to order the rest of Razor to a position where they can't get themselves killed - which usually means well out of any combat zone or inside an APC. As a team, they're hopeless - and if you attempt to assign them targets during a firefight, you just end up getting shot yourself.

My most successful completion of Badlands was when I left Razor team in the Hills with the rebels, and then drove into the town on my own in the technical, jumping out and using its heavy gun every time I spotted the enemy.

I agree that it's a bit stupid that you cannot train new soldiers remotely, but other than that I had no issues with Badlands. I managed to take over the towns with one squad of mixed soldiers and a BTR. Yes, I had to do most work myself to prevent heavy losses, but then it worked fine.

I just started Badlands early this morning, but was disappointed in a few things.

I couldn't control the rebels at all, not by menu commands or by going to the map. In map mode, I was unable to click on their icons, or drag a box around them to select them.

I took the first village anyway, pretty easy really. Then it wanted me to make a base, but I didn't have too much bucks. Other posters here have said "buy an APC and go nuts"...Hmm...where do I re-arm? If I can get an APC, I'll do that, if not, I'll need to buy an RPG I guess. Maybe a sniper rifle would be good. I'd take the other three villages solo if I had an RPG and a sniper rifle.

After I took the village, it asked me to build defences. Does this mean they'll come back to try to re-take the village? How do I garrison it with soldiers and machine gun nests etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

@Steved:

You don't have to build defences in Badlands. I never head enemies in my base and never heard of such thing either.

You will "earn" money buy capturing towns. Soon trucks with supplies will arrive. The trucks mean money. A sniper rifle and an RPG is a good investment. I also bought an APC and a mix of soldiers. You can rearm/refuel/repair in the base, if you buy build a service station.

I just started Badlands early this morning, but was disappointed in a few things.

I couldn't control the rebels at all, not by menu commands or by going to the map. In map mode, I was unable to click on their icons, or drag a box around them to select them.

I took the first village anyway, pretty easy really. Then it wanted me to make a base, but I didn't have too much bucks. Other posters here have said "buy an APC and go nuts"...Hmm...where do I re-arm? If I can get an APC, I'll do that, if not, I'll need to buy an RPG I guess. Maybe a sniper rifle would be good. I'd take the other three villages solo if I had an RPG and a sniper rifle.

After I took the village, it asked me to build defences. Does this mean they'll come back to try to re-take the village? How do I garrison it with soldiers and machine gun nests etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Well, I went to "Point Oranges" and met up with the APC. All I could do with the APC was "Lock APC" or "Unlock APC", but I couldn't find my keys...won't the rebels standing there with AK47's deter thieves? Or are the thieves here really REALLY bold?

OK. I tried lock and unlock but couldn't find out what I was unlocking. I unlocked it and tried to enter, to no avail. Unlocked it and tried to move it, no good. Again, couldn't order the rebel soldiers to do anything.

No trucks yet, so I'll just wait around until they arrive to see if i can buy any good stuff.

I found a guy I shot earlier who had an RPG, so I looted it from him. Basically, I think I'll buy a sniper rifle so I can do this all myself.

Any other ideas you can help me with gents?

the unlock/lock is probably to stop friendly AI taking it somewhere else.

did you actually get inside the hq bmp in the end or not ? if so, were u in the drivers seat ? when it arrived for me, the 2 crew exited - allowing me free rein to drive it anywhere i wanted.

as for the rebels, are you using commanding mode to try and order them around ? i.e. the icons change at the bottom of the screen to the blue mil symbols ?

the unlock/lock is probably to stop friendly AI taking it somewhere else.

did you actually get inside the hq bmp in the end or not ? if so, were u in the drivers seat ? when it arrived for me, the 2 crew exited - allowing me free rein to drive it anywhere i wanted.

as for the rebels, are you using commanding mode to try and order them around ? i.e. the icons change at the bottom of the screen to the blue mil symbols ?

I was in the town centre when the APC arrived, and the villagers and the priest stood there discussing the ethics of fighting wars etc, then the APC took off. I went around looting bodies (found the RPG), then joined it. There were troops around it, but none appeared to be "crewmen". I tried to enter it, but there was no "get in" icon or command that I could find, just "lock APC" and "unlock APC".

Yes, the APC and the infantry around it are on my Map as NATO symbols, but I can't click on them to get an individual vehicle or platoon/section, nor can I drag a box around them to select them all.

Frustrating having all these troops and not being able to turn them into "cannon fodder" and soften up the defences before the "mighty USA" arrive (Gee...where have I heard THAT before?...America turning up late to a war, mopping up and proudly declaring they won the whole thing for us?).

OK...enough yank bashing, or they won't help me anymore. I'll just "hang around the first village until trucks arrive, and bring supplies. I'll try to get in that APC some more. Seems to me to be a waste of money to buy another if I can use that one. A sniper rifle would be nice. I'll leave my team and the rebels there, and do a couple of sniping missions on machine gun nests and AT troops and call them in to mop up.

do the NATO symbols appear in 1st person view (not map view) ? i.e:

arma2grumpygirl.jpg

at the start of my badlands game, i had (ignoring razor) 2 sections of infantry + 2x inf who hopped in the MG uaz, and these appeared as 3 NATO symbols when in commanding mode.

the APC crewmen never appeared as my team members (faces in bottom left), or in commanding mode ( NATO symbols in bottom left)...i.e. couldnt be controlled. they just delivered the APC and jumped out and stood next to it. Is your auto save set to just before the townsfolk vs. APC conversations ? i.e. can u load it again and see if the crew jump out at Point Orange? I dont think you'll get any trucks coming until you build your base, the latter of which might not be possible if the 2 crew want to stay inside the bmp. (please tell me if that's not correct...)

Edited by whopper_with_cheese

My main screen shows me and razor team as four seperate icons, as they have for all the game so far, not Nato Symbols. The NATO Symbols are on my "Map View". but are not controllable or contactable.

I'll have a look when I go home to see if I can revert back to the priest's speech, and run off to Point Oranges. Maybe that's all I need to do. I'm not too far into the mission, but I really don't want to start again, like so many people here are complaining about on other missions.

The screenshot you posted at least gives me hope that these teams/platoons/sections ARE INDEED controllable.

Razor team are covered by a single NATO Infantry Section icon. If one of your team is injured, does it go back to individual faces to allow you to switch with those team members? If so, I will go back to the priest's speech and get in the APC. If I am able to become the corpsman with the sniper rifle, I'll just drop my RPG and get the sniper to pick it up and trot off to the next village to "Cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war"

have u actually pressed the SWITCH COMMAND MENU button, in order to see the Nato symbols (down the bottom left) ?

Edited by whopper_with_cheese

have u actually pressed the SWITCH COMMAND MENU button, in order to see the Nato symbols (down the bottom left) ?

Nope. Gonna try that shortly. Got to go to the bank now, and give it a try after that. I thought that would be what I had to do.

Thanks for all your help whopper_with_cheese.

Lots of confusion in this thread. You can command all three NAPA squads via the high command functions - play the high command tutorial to learn how.

To enter the command vehicle, first unlock it and then walk up to the left side front and look around until you get the option to in your action menu. Every vehicle has specific points where you can board the various stations available - you can't jump in the drivers seat just by walking up to a vehicle, you have to find the entry point.

You need to deploy the command vehicle by selecting 'construction' from the action menu when you're near it. Only after it's deployed do supply / salvage trucks begin operating. Then you can build a barracks to recruit troops, factories, defensive emplacements, etc.

It's weird that they tossed warfare mechanics, which are multiplayer centric, into the campaign like that. Anyone who hasn't played Arma Warfare or the A2 warfare scenarios is bound to be confused.

Another strategy is to capture the second town and just wait until you get enough money for a heavy factory and a BMP-2...it's easy sailing once you're mechanized.

To enter the command vehicle, first unlock it and then walk up to the left side front and look around until you get the option to in your action menu. Every vehicle has specific points where you can board the various stations available - you can't jump in the drivers seat just by walking up to a vehicle, you have to find the entry point.

You need to deploy the command vehicle by selecting 'construction' from the action menu when you're near it. Only after it's deployed do supply / salvage trucks begin operating. Then you can build a barracks to recruit troops, factories, defensive emplacements, etc.

That's good information there IronPants. Most other times I've jumped into an APC I entered from the rear doors,and then selected my seating position once I was on board. Also the information on how to deply it is good stuff as well. I was just going to "hang around" and wait for truckloads of supplies to arrive to help me take the third village.

Bored with that, I ventured out to the third village with the two rebel squads and one technical. The machine gun nest on the road (Southern approach)was easy to take out.

I skirted him really wide the first time I tried to take him out, because he mowed down a lot of the rebel squads. but the second time, I walked about 20 metres to one side of the road, walked up to his rear entrance, and shot him. I thought he must have been going to the toilet, or having a cuppa...he certainly wasn't watching.

Getting past the APC's and technicals is a different matter. I have an RPG with one round that I looted off an AT guy I killed in the second village. I can sneak up close enough to take out one of the APC's, but I invariably get shot to bits by the technicals, and vice-versa.

I learned that going to the bunker on the Southern approach allows you to buy weapons, so I can get another RPG with 3 rounds, but not enough time to get off more than 1 shot before I get killed.

Anyone help with a tip on taking out the third village? Also, I can see I get (for example) $43 for taking out a technical (nearly at the expense of my own life)...how can I afford to build a factory and buy APC's?

"Another strategy is to capture the second town and just wait until you get enough money for a heavy factory and a BMP-2...it's easy sailing once you're mechanized."