Sign in to follow this  
draeath

dedicated host questions

I am going to put up a dedicated server running on my VirtualBox server.

What Windows version seems to run best, in your experience? I can run a 64-bit, if that is your recommendation. Any and all options are available, my datacenter has VLKs for em all :P

Keep in mind this 'server' would only run Arma2, VNC (for admin), and Steam once in a while to update the client files. I would like to run other services on the host, but they would either be in the host itself or in other guest operating systems.

Also...

* I have 4 cores at 2.6ghz, 4gb of RAM available, and VT extensions (so the virtualization has nearly no overhead).

* I do not wish to exceed 1mb/s 'average' throughput, either for upload or download, but I can peak as high as 3mb/s without issue (and could peak up to 5mb/s at a danger of angering my provider).

How many players (ideally with VoN active) should I set the server for? Any other tweaks I should be aware of?

Edited by draeath
typo correction

I think 32-bit is best for ArmA2, but I'm not shure.

I also think that XP is recommended, but not nessecary.

I take about 256kbit pr client I want to connect. But in CTI and Warfare it uses much more to cconnect so I figured it max would use 512 kb pr client. Since I got 26Mbit I can max use 50 clients.

I'm not sure if 256 is the right amount if your going to use VoN.

Also I have heard that 2MB memory is max for the server, but I'm not sure about that. Not that it can't have more, but it dosn't use more.

I hope this helps a bit. You probably have to test it....

Thanks, you answered the parts that are hard to change after-the-fact, and given me a good direction to go for the others!

Edited by draeath
typo