Sign in to follow this  
Relemar

Sidewinders at Armor?

i just noticed you can lock on with sidewinders in an A10 at armor, such as t90. is this a bug? i think Sidewinders are for air-to-air only

also, how do i make AI use laser desig

Yeah, it's a well known problem with the game that antiair missiles can target ground units. Technically this isn't impossible - there was more than one story from the Vietnam war where USAF pilots would try and down MiGs with Sidewinders, but the missiles would get confused with the IR signatures of ground vehicles, leading to the destruction of North Vietnamese tanks. That said, that was more of an error with the missile design as opposed to a design feature.

also, how do i make AI use laser desig

Place him in front of an enemy tank. If that doesn't convince him then that's one less incomitant soldier you need to worry about.

Sidewinders are heat-seeking missiles, so they seek things that emanate heat, and not only things that tend to fly.

Place him in front of an enemy tank. If that doesn't convince him then that's one less incomitant soldier you need to worry about.

i do, he still dont aim at it lol! i wnat my AI to designate targets, while i take them out.

There is a way to get an AI forward air controller under your command to lase a target for you. This is also assuming that you are a pilot or that you have an AI pilot under command with laser guided bombs or Hellfire missiles. You have to follow these steps exactly in this order:

1. Order your FAC to hold fire so that he doesn't start shooting and reveal his position.

2. Order him to a position where he can observe the target without being seen and have him go prone.

3. Order him to target the enemy vehicle. He may say, "Observing target." Sometimes he may not say anything.

4. Go to your map, select him from your units list, and select his gear page. Have him drop his rifle and pistol. This will force him to switch to his laser designator.

5. Order him to fire. This makes him turn on the laser designator. Right now, it doesn't matter if you do this early. If there's ever a mod that allows enemy armor to detect when they're being lased, then you would want to wait until the last minute to turn on the designator.

6. Now, you will have a laser designator target when you, the pilot, select bombs. Line it up and release when you have a good lock. Don't dive too low or you may be hit by the blast.

7. If you have an AI pilot under your command, you can order him to target the laser designator target. Then order the pilot to engage.

8. Order your FAC to pick up his weapons again by selecting him and choosing 'Gear' from his action menu. For example: F2, 6 (Action), 2 (Gear).

Edited by Xenios

There is a way to get an AI forward air controller under your command to lase a target for you. This is also assuming that you are a pilot or that you have an AI pilot under command with laser guided bombs or Hellfire missiles. You have to follow these steps exactly in this order:

1. Order your FAC to hold fire so that he doesn't start shooting and reveal his position.

2. Order him to a position where he can observe the target without being seen and have him go prone.

3. Order him to target the enemy vehicle. He may say, "Observing target." Sometimes he may not say anything.

4. Go to your map, select him from your units list, and select his gear page. Have him drop his rifle and pistol. This will force him to switch to his laser designator.

5. Order him to fire. This makes him turn on the laser designator. Right now, it doesn't matter if you do this early. If there's ever a mod that allows enemy armor to detect when they're being lased, then you would want to wait until the last minute to turn on the designator.

6. Now, you will have a laser designator target when you, the pilot, select bombs. Line it up and release when you have a good lock. Don't dive too low or you may be hit by the blast.

7. If you have an AI pilot under your command, you can order him to target the laser designator target. Then order the pilot to engage.

8. Order your FAC to pick up his weapons again by selecting him and choosing 'Gear' from his action menu. For example: F2, 6 (Action), 2 (Gear).

lovely, thanks!