Sign in to follow this  
snapydapy

Scripting question

Hey there, well i just saw the forum and understood that the scripting is what shows the tasks and mading it.

So my questions are:

1)can anyone give me a guide to how to make a task? or tell me?

and

2) i want my units to respawn (descripting) so i put in their descript - respawn3;

(in base) and added a marker respawn_west1.

so why doesnt it respawns? or can you correct me?

sorry for the stupid questions...

1) Just search the forum for "briefing.sqf" or "tasks" and you should get the necessary hits. Several threads about it.

2) Respawn doesn't work when you just preview from the editor. Export the mission singleplayer/multiplayer and try to start it as a singleplayer scenario or host a multiplayer game, respectively, and it should work. Also, make sure it says respawn = 3; or respawn = "BASE";. Any other syntax is wrong ;)

Note that it shouldn't be written in any units' description or anyting, but in a file description.ext that has to be created in your My Documents/ArmA2/missions/missionname folder.

Also, if you only have one respawn location you can skip the "1" in the end of respawn_west. Numbers are only used when you have multiple locations you want to randomize between.

Generally though, please search the forum before asking. If you have a question you can be 99% sure someone else have had the same question before you, so there's very likely to be an answer.

Edited by Inkompetent

how can i create a description.ext??

and can someone tell me how to refer to some unit and not to an other one?

and ofcourse... how to write things in the description.ext...

i am really sorry for those questions.. i keep looking but i cant find...

Edited by snapydapy

Create a .txt file and name it "description.ext". Make sure you remove the .txt in the name (in windows standart the .txt is hidden).

can someone tell me how to refer to some unit and not to an other one?

Did you meant to ask how just to refer to a specific unit or what "another one" xD? You mean if you have a group of units and you want to refer to some specific unit in the group?

as for description.ext file, this should be helpful

http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=details&id=26&game=ArmA

Remember that the link takes you to a description.ext file meant for arma 1. Its the very same thing as for ArmA 2, but classnames (faces,sounds,weapons etc) in the description.ext file might not work with ArmA 2,so you will have to find the right classnames to work with ArmA 2

Edited by Carpaazi

i made a Description.txt and now i wrote:

respawn=3;

and i put some markers in the map... the file is located in the mission folder in the mission folder.

i need to save i in the MPmissions?

It's Description.ext not txt. :) Common mistake. Also make sure Windows it's automatically calling it ext.txt or something.

Just save it in the editor then choose Save -> Export to Multiplayer Missions and you'll be able to start it from Multiplayer -> New Game

If you use normal Notepad and choose 'Save as', make sure that the 'Save as type:' is set to 'All Files'. Then you can choose your own file extension instead of getting a .txt as suffix.

Although ultimately I suggest using something like Notepad++.

sorry but ive searched for AGES, days even, around the place and this is THE first thread ive seen that even Mentions the .txt thing ive found. Its really not that easy to search for what you want specifically, sometimes, especially if you dont know what your searching for. Not even that murray's editing guide mentions anything about the .txt situation when creating an .ext file. Something as simple as that can be very hard to search for, i dont blame people for re-posting a thread in these cases.

Edited by nyran125

create the file description.ext

then u need to save it as ALL FILES. then it should save an ext not a txt