Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

Planes blow up to easy

How come the planes blow up so easy? Just bearly tipping over makes em explode.

Shoddy workmen ship I tell you. Still barely tipping over a real plane in life would knacker it out. Maybe BIS just have the damage values wrong or their just being super realistic.

Its to make sure that you REALLY want to take off, and are not just trying to mess up the airfield

Its true, considering the Su-25 and the A-10 are two very well armoured attack aircraft, they should at least have a good chance of surviving a shoulder-launched SAM. The Su-25 for one holds the pilot in a titanium "bathtub" and the canopy is armoured glass. This gives the pilot excellent protection against AAA. The A-10 for it's part, as well as being heavily armoured, has a triple-redundant control system (2 hydraulic, one manual). I searched the net and found the following examples of Su-25's taking heavy punishment during the Soviet-Afghan war:

Here are few more stories highlighting Su-25 roughness:

-Major Rubalov's Su-25 was hit in the engine which surged and flooded an engine bay with fuel, the cockpit was shattered, buster controls are gone and major's face covered with blood. None of the dials in the cockpit worked and his wingman guided him to the final approach. After belly landing, major rushed away from the Su-25 fearing that plane going to explode. After figuring that this is not going to happen, he got back to the aircraft and cut the engine.

-Another Su-25 was on fire which burned out most of the wiring and 95% of horizontal tail controls. In few moments before the landing, fire short cut the gear release wires and Su-25 made "conventional" landing.

-Lieutenant Golubtsov's Su-25 lost half of its rudder along with breaks. After landing his a/c ended up off runaway and rolled into adjacent mine field. He was forced to wait in the cockpit till mine squad cleared his way out.

-One Su-25 brought a missile in the engine which failed to detonate. (SAM?)

-Rutskoi's Su-25 was hit by AAA (ZGU) when a missile (Blowpipe) hit right engine (head on - it "turned off" the engine though the intake). Second AAA finally managed to shot it down. This is a second Frogfoot he flew (not the preproduction T-8-15 Blue 15 which was damaged twice). Rutskoi spent some time as Pakistani POW and was shortly exchanged.

I also remember reading about an Su-25 which took 2 sidewinders from a Pakistani fighter and made it back to base, and an A-10 which survived an Iraqi SAM hit in Desert Storm.

The Su-25 for one holds the pilot in a titanium "bathtub" and the canopy is armoured glass

sure yer talking bout the SU? thats word for word how the A-10 described..

I think both the A-10 and su25 (I guess) should be tougher.. maby not to the point of damage.. but the pilot should be able to survive a harsh landing.. AND NOT BE KILLED BY GROUND SMALL ARMS!

Yep, I've heard the Su-25's cockpit being described like this many times. It makes sense that the A-10 would use something similar though. BTW the first aircraft to introduce such an "Armour tub" cockpit was the Il-2

the A10 has a titanium "bathtub" as well. Like tovarish says, triple redundant systems. In fact its main mission was to be able to fly in the most unfriendly skies the Commies could make, and come through it flying, if maybe missing a few parts lol.

Searched the net for "survivability features" of both the A-10 and the Su-25. Here's what I came up with:

First the A-10:

"Containing built-in survivability features, the USAF/Fairchild A-10 Close Air Support aircraft is harneded like no other fighter or attack plane. The pilot is surrounded by a "bathtub" of titanium which has been successfully tested to defeat 23mm armor-piercing projectiles. In addition, the aircraft features armor plating of vital elements, redundant flight controls, redundant shielded subsystems and a "manual" reversion system which permits the pilot to fly and land the aircraft if all hydraulic power is lost. "

Su-25:

"the Su25 series (Frogfoots? Frogfeet?) feature a 24mm welded titanium cockpit armor tub, an air mixing duct system to cool engine exhaust, and other survivability features like foam-filled fuel tanks and pushrod-actuated control surfaces. In addition, 256 flares or chaff packets are carried near the rear of the aircraft in the tailcone and above the engine exhausts."

Also found this very interesting excerpt on how Sukhoi strived to defeat the threat posed by Stingers in Afghanistan:

"First time VVS encountered Stinger, they lost four Su-25 in one or two days (two pilots were killed). The defense and ECM were specialized for Red Eye and the Soviet first generation shoulder launched missile (SA-7 Grail). Sukhoi figured that upon impact Stinger shreds the rear fuel tank which is located right above the jet exhaust. This starts fire which kills both engines eventually. They installed few millimeters thick steel plate below fuel cell to give an extra protection. Another modification was a steel plate (I think 10 or 15 mm thick) between engine bays. After this modification no Su-25 were lost to Stinger according to Sukhoi team. Only 22 Su-25s were lost in nine(!wink.gif years of combat operations in Afghanistan."

Well.... I dod believe that an AA missile in OFP should take it out, but i dont think that the pilot should be killed.

He should be able to eject most of the times even though the maneuveability is degreased signifciantly.

Guy, if 1 single infantry with an AA weapon in OFP isnt able to take out a plane, its gonna be a tough call (especially aince the singers in ofp is so crap of hitting its target).

Also, i know its possible to keep a man alive even though the vehicle he is in is broken. I tryed it myself with a crumbled scud launcher and i was still alive (although very injured).

It could also befun to see a plane catch fire and not die instantly. (or just smoke), so you can actually see you are hitting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Mar. 18 2002,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Guy, if 1 single infantry with an AA weapon in OFP isnt able to take out a plane, its gonna be a tough call<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed, but the "titanium tub" both these planes have, which are rated to withstand direct hits by projectiles of over 20mm caliber, should definitely protect the pilots better against AAA. Most of the time when I am hit by an enemy Shilka or Vulcan I am killed while the plane is still flyable.

Ever considered that it's maybe because they hit you through the glass ?

Whenever I fly the cobra and hear machine gun fire hitting me from behind, I'm able to stay alive easily, though as soon as I turn around and face the enemies, I die quite quickly as the bullets get me through the window.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Mar. 18 2002,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ever considered that it's maybe because they hit you through the glass ?<span id='postcolor'>

Not bloody likely when you're flying over it and it happens every time. There's a difference between Machine guns and a Shilka or Vulcan. If you run into those with a Cobra I guarantee you you won't last long unless you take it out quickly, no matter which way you're facing

Tanks sometimes shoot me down with their machine gun. Now that can't be realistic.

Why is it unrealistic ? Machine gun bullets, especially 12.7mm ones have much greater kinetic energy than assault rifle bullets, not to mention they travel twice as far. All it takes is a lucky shot to the pilot/gunner or a vital area of the chopper and down they go.

yeah, and since the chopper is probably gonig to waste you anyway, you can't take the ammo with you

Choppers can either be astonishingly tough or incredibly fragile. For example, in Vietnam, vets have made it home with over 1000 holes in their chopper, while at the same time, survivors have reported incidents where one good burst of automatic fire hit a critical area and the chopper went down. All depends on where the chopper gets hit.

Sure, I believe all that but I was talking about an A-10 and not a chopper biggrin.gif

If A-10's are supposed to be protected from 30mm rounds, how can you destroy one with a machine gun on a tank?

Yeah, but at least the pilot is protected. That way, should the plane get hit by anything, he'd have a better chance of survival.

BSI should make it where if you get shot up you lose most og your sontrols but can try to make a crash landing.

heh.. while we are at CAS(Close Air Support) Aircraft's.. gimme the good old A-1 Skyraider from the vietnam war..

sure its a propeller aircraft but thats both its great strength and weakness... because its slower the pilot can spend more time aiming and over target (a prop engine use considerably less fuel than a Jet engine) and those quad 20mm cannons sure bring the noise (and pain =]) thought the slow speed make it a sitting duck for hand held SAM's and small arms.

well i managed to take a A-10 out with a sniper rifle in mid air once.. can you say lucky shot ?