Sign in to follow this  
Fortran

Designator on A-10

Having a real headache with this and I can't see any real reason for it not working. I am simply adding a laser designator to the A-10 for testing. All shows up fine in-game, except I get no visual red spot when firing it and the main problem which is other laser scanning enabled units do not see a laser target when I fire it, so I take it it's not actually working at all. Any ideas ? I just can't understand it. Have also tried with cutting out the cfgAmmo section and just using the standard "Laserbeam" ammo definition instead, but still no joy at all.

class cfgAmmo
{
 class Laserbeam;

class caslaser: Laserbeam {};
};

class CfgMagazines
{
class Default;
class VehicleMagazine;
class a10cas_laser : VehicleMagazine
{
scope = 2;
displayName = "Laser Designator";
ammo = "caslaser";
count = 1;
};
};

class CfgWeapons
{
class Default;
class a10cas_laser : Default
{
scope = 2;
displayName = "Laser Marker";
primary = 10;
magazines[] = {"a10cas_laser"};
};
};

Edited by Fortran

May be easier to just simply add the Laser Marker weapon the MQ-9 Reaper uses.

EG:

_this addWeapon "Laserdesignator_mounted";
_this addMagazine "Laserbatteries";

This works perfectly for the Cobra so I don't see why it wouldn't for the A10... Although Aiming the thing is going to be a biatch and a half as you have to keep the laser on the target when you firing the bomb off... So you might run into the ground lol

Hey mate, I tried that as well initially but no joy. I don't know if there is something else in my config that is conflicting with it. Am going to try adding it to the vanilla A-10 and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the response, will give it another try. Yeah its not really for the A-10, its just for testing until I get the DLIR for the F117A working :)

EDIT: Ok well after some testing it seems to be a fixed Vs rotary wing problem. Adding the laser designator to ANY helo works perfectly...however adding it to any fixed wing aircraft doesn't work at all. Wonder why this is....is there anything that could be changed to allow designation from a fixed wing aircraft ?

Well looking at the mounted LD

class Laserdesignator_mounted : Default {
	scope = public;
	cursor = "Missile";
	cursorAim = "\ca\Weapons\Data\clear_empty";
	cursorAimOn = "Laser";
	cursorSize = 1;
	modelOptics = "\ca\weapons\optika_SOFLAM";
	opticsPPEffects[] = {"OpticsCHAbera1", "OpticsBlur1"};
	displayName = $STR_DN_LASER_DESIGNATOR;
	model = "\ca\weapons\soflam";
	magazines[] = {"Laserbatteries"};
	Laser = true;
};

I can't see any limitation on mounting it, I am starting to dread this might be hard coded perhaps ?

EDIT2: Ok it literally only seems to work on Helos! I even tried my own laser designator weapon and added it to nearly every vehicle, and it will only work on the choppers, armoured units and planes just will not designate with it but Helo's will. This is weird.!

Edited by Fortran

Try sticking it on a tank or the LAV etc..they all have turrets but still no go?

Well I tinkered with this pretty much all night but cannot seem to find a way for any vehicle other than Helo's and Soldier units to laser designate a target. Attaching any kind of designator to a fixed wing or armour unit just simply does not work. If somebody could verify this or can think of a reason for why it might be happening I would appreciate it greatly.

Any idea where the "simulations" come from ?

simulation = "laserDesignate";

Was going to have a look at this to try find out why mounting it on anything other than a person or helo doesn't work but I can't seem to find it anywhere.