Sign in to follow this  
HTL.NOR

Have many can I have on my server?

I have built a small Arma2 sever at home and have been testing it a couple of days now w. 6 players no lag (Domination).

But I wonder if anyone can help me est. max number of players I can have on the server?

Internet spec:

Down:10Mbps

Up:3,4Mbps

Server

Intel E8500 @3,5Ghz

X48

2xSSD Ocz Vertex Raid0

My Arma2.cfg:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=8021.000000;

Resolution_W=160;

Resolution_H=120;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

viewDistance=10000;

terrainGrid=10.000000;

MinBandwidth = 3000000;

MaxBandwidth = 100000000;

MaxMsgSend = 1024;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;

MinErrorToSend = 0.0025;

MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Hi

Test and find out

That is your limiting factor :

Up:3,4Mbps

Running a server from home is not as good as running it from a colo. You are just not going to get the bandwith.

By the looks of it that is a home ISP connection check your contract you may not be allowed to run a server on your home ISP connection; it is a common clause in ISP small print. Though many ISPs are flexible on this nowadays.

Kind Regards walker

I must be lucky then because I have it in writing from my ISP that I can have a gameserver at home as long as I don't charge other for its use :yay:

Regarding my up speed I know it is the weak point. Have tested it over 6 hrs, never lower than 3,1 Mbps up.

Will test w. 8 people tonight.

If people are lagging will they have a hight desync in the overview?

Edited by HTL.NOR
doh, spelling

Hi HTL.NOR

You should have no problem with 8 people I was thinking you meant a 20 or 30 player or bigger server.

Kind regards walker

Do we still have no idea exactly how much upload each player requires?

I have hosted a 10 players coop mission in the demo with 4Mbit up/25mbit down lagfree. I think thats about the limit for my connection but havent pushed it further tbh.

Try running a network traffic logger and see how much bandwidth you're using especially when 2 or more players JIP.

Well then at lest we know 1 player doesn't take more than 50KByte/sec (!)... Of course if that is the actual requirement my home internet with about 20~28KByte/sec upload couldn't even host a single player - which may or may not explain why campaign coop with 1 guy resulted in lag regardless of which of us hosting. His connection is probably similar to mine.

I have a 10-down/2-up connection and have hosted 8 visitors quite successfully.

Thanks for det response people. Will test more this weekend an report back.

Hoping to have 10-12 people on the server without lag. Running mostly an unlocked Domination so people can get som flight training with other players.

Regards

Hans-Thomas