Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

GPU-Z Reports only 40% GPU usage?

So I finally ran this program during a session. I played Razor Two with Normal on all settings except Postprocess (disabled) and Anisotropic (low) and 2140 VD running on 1680x1050. My FPS was around 20-30 FPS around the quarry.

Now that doesn't sound bad but I would really like 4-5km VD (I know objects aren't drawn that far) but with the above set up, my GPU Load % reached a maximum of 40% with most numbers being 37-38%. Shouldn't either my load % or FPS be higher here? If I increase my VD the FPS drops and stuttering occurs (like 0.5 fps) even in dense forrests where I don't see much (far).

HW:

Q9550 @ 2.82GHz

4 GB RAM

2 x 4890 in x-fire

Win7 x64

(My CPU is never maxed out btw.)

funnily enough my 8800GT doesn't get hot with this game either, and that's with it o/c

my poor CPU limps through the games though lol

(edit: I know they say it is cpu intensive but your gpu(s) should still be doing a job!)

Edited by wooly-back-jack

IS ur CPU usage 50% with the quad core cause thats what mine is half the time so its only using 2 of the 4 cores for me and as well the gpu is not being fully used either

Same here my GPU never goes beyong 57 C in this game at regular 40% speeds. Its a GTX 260 OC edition.

Check the percentage use of each core of your CPU at the same time, there's a good chance one of your cores is at 100% usage while your gpu is at 45%, I'm not sure if it'll help but try starting arma with the slash CPU 4 command (can't remember what the command was, just search the forums), if that doesn't help, try telling it to use only 2 cores and see what happens

Well my temperature is fairly high (e.g. 70C) and I've checked my CPU usage. It use all 4 cores and noone is at 100%. I didn't check during this test but I've checked several other times where I get the same FPS.

Check the percentage use of each core of your CPU at the same time, there's a good chance one of your cores is at 100% usage while your gpu is at 45%, I'm not sure if it'll help but try starting arma with the slash CPU 4 command (can't remember what the command was, just search the forums), if that doesn't help, try telling it to use only 2 cores and see what happens

They all talking about single GPU Cards, so what Core they should check ;)

And my twin GPU Card has on both Cores only 23% usage near Citys and they are always equal in usage. There is NEVER a difference in GPU Core usage on my 4870X2!

The Gameperformance sucks!

There's a difference between CPU and GPU, besides I have crossfire running. :)

the same by my two 4850 1 GB crossfire,

both gpu´s are only 30%-46% working load !

cpu is phenom x4 940@ 3,6Ghz / 4GB RAM / vista64

Edited by HerrAnders

Mine's about 60-70% but I've noticed that when I get stuttering, the GPU load is at 0%. That probably means that the GPU doesn't get the textures fast enough. Compiling a 64-bits version and some tweaking here seems necessary but I'll get an SSD disk when prices drop from insane to just crazy to see if that helps.

Any way to check how much memory my cards use?