Sign in to follow this  
ColeMinor

Reinforcements?? what options do we have?

Hey guys,

I have seen a few threads on reinforcements, however i havent seen any that actually tell you how to go about doing it.

Im using the SOM for something, i cant recall what it was, perhaps for ammo drop, but i have pasted that bit of code in that disables the random missions, that also seems to also disable reinforcements. If you know of a way to allow reinforcements but disable random missions that would be great!

Im currently making a mission where you have your squad as well as 2 squads under your command (via the command module), you have a very long battle in which you inevitably lose a lot of your troops, I would like to be able to call in reinforcements when you have lost a certain number of troops, like 6 or more. I would also like to be able to reinforce the other 2 squads you command.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

I had a few (lame) ideas like once you reach a certain point in the mission some reinforcement squads will meet you at a designated spot and join your squads (with joingroup commands or something, im pretty sure its possible) thus reinforcing them, thats pretty basic though I would like it to be a bit more dynamic and realistic than that if possible. Also, if by chance you didnt lose many guys then when they join you you would now have a massive squad, which is ridiculous.

So as you can see im stuck as to what i should do next, any help would be appreciated! This mission has a lot of potential but i want to do it right.

thanks guys!

Edited by Drow09

{alive _x} count units groupnamehere == 3

the above code checks how many troops are left in your group, so it is checking if there are 3 troops in the group. You can change that number to whatever you want.

You would place the above information into the condition line of a trigger. This way when your group starts to get killed your reinforcements would be triggered and move in to assist.

You can have units join your group by using this in a trigger.

Hopefully this helps or at least gets you going in the right direction.

thanks alot, i'll work with that and see what i can do. Any idea how I could make the reinforcements know where you are and come to you?

Anyone else with ideas is more than welcome to leave their 2 cents too.

Thanks

Edited by Drow09

you could do it dynamically with a script (this won't be elegant, as I'm making it up on the fly):

_AbleToFight = true;
while {_AbleToFight} do
{
   if ({alive _x} count units _mygroup <= 3) then
   {
         _AbleToFight = false;
   };
};

null = [unitLeader] execvm "Reinforce.sqf";

contents of Reinforce.sqf does the following:

1. Spawn reinforcement units (possiby at a marker location, or simply in a helicopter that is also spawned say 1km north of the unitleader)

2. Assign the position of the unitleader as the destination of a move waypoint

3. Waits until the reinforcements are within a certain radius of the unitleader

4. Makes the reinforcements join the group of the leader