Sign in to follow this  
panty

Arma 2 Tip

Just got this game the other day, and despite the bad press I thoroughly enjoy the Game.

Anyhow, I had the usual graphics issues, occasional crashes, lag etc etc, and after joining these forums I found I was not the only one with probs, and after playing with the settings for hours and getting nowhere I decided to explore another avenue.... the crap building up on my pc...

First off my system spec:

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM (4gb)

Hard Drive: 250 GB Total

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Business (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

What I did first:

Update my graphics card drivers from nvidia .com

this first kinda highlighted my probs with my pc, as the new drivers would not install as it didnt recognize my OS as windows Vista and thus the driver would not install.

Next up I needed to repair the registry, and clean out the crap in it:

I down loaded Ccleaner from http://Ccleaner.com

this allowed me to repair and remove old entries on the Reg with a few clicks I was done.

this allowed me to install the latest nvidia graphic drivers, then i defraged my hard drive...

and then booted up Arma 2, Ive been playing it now for over 6 hours today with no crashes, no lagging and has been running smooth with no hiccups!

I have turned shadows off, both res set to 1024x768, antistropic and antiat set to low, general graphics set to high, every thing else set to normal.

I usualy play COd4 and a few of my cod mates have also got ArmA2 with the same probs and they have had good results after using the Ccleaner.

so instead of slagging of BI, try ridding your pc of all the crap on it first.

Just got this game the other day, and despite the bad press I thoroughly enjoy the Game.

Anyhow, I had the usual graphics issues, occasional crashes, lag etc etc, and after joining these forums I found I was not the only one with probs, and after playing with the settings for hours and getting nowhere I decided to explore another avenue.... the crap building up on my pc...

First off my system spec:

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM (4gb)

Hard Drive: 250 GB Total

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Business (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

What I did first:

Update my graphics card drivers from nvidia .com

this first kinda highlighted my probs with my pc, as the new drivers would not install as it didnt recognize my OS as windows Vista and thus the driver would not install.

Next up I needed to repair the registry, and clean out the crap in it:

I down loaded Ccleaner from http://Ccleaner.com

this allowed me to repair and remove old entries on the Reg with a few clicks I was done.

this allowed me to install the latest nvidia graphic drivers, then i defraged my hard drive...

and then booted up Arma 2, Ive been playing it now for over 6 hours today with no crashes, no lagging and has been running smooth with no hiccups!

I have turned shadows off, both res set to 1024x768, antistropic and antiat set to low, general graphics set to high, every thing else set to normal.

I usualy play COd4 and a few of my cod mates have also got ArmA2 with the same probs and they have had good results after using the Ccleaner.

so instead of slagging of BI, try ridding your pc of all the crap on it first.

I thought it was a good post right until I read the last sentence. Having a go at the frustrations of many on the forums after a few short days of game play when generally you have not had the problems that many of us have had is not a good.

General PC maintainance and cleaning is a good suggestion for anyone who has not done it, worth trying. I think though that CTD's, black screens and in game graphic corruption is more attributed to either driver problems, ARMA2 code problems or both. If all of us had was just performance issues I for one would not be so grumpy but when the game is unplayable with constant black screens and CTD's after trying everything except a total reformat then you can understand the frustrations and heated comments at times.

Having a go at the frustrations of many on the forums after a few short days of game play when generally you have not had the problems that many of us have had is not a good.

I didnt mean to sound cheeky, I simply wanted to point out that before we start blaming others we should be certain that the problem isnt at our end.

And I did experience the crashes lagging black screens etc, thats what drew me to this forum, I now have tried to remedy it.

I didnt mean to sound cheeky, I simply wanted to point out that before we start blaming others we should be certain that the problem isnt at our end.

And I did experience the crashes lagging black screens etc, thats what drew me to this forum, I now have tried to remedy it.

ok thanks for the input but I have to say I don't play the game, mainly because I can't, I just muddle my way aroud the forums waiting for a patch LOL.

Yes don't get your panty pants in a twist after just 3 posts. I have tried so many of these fixes now and realised that most of them are just pants... Meaning they just don't work. I was on a sever tonight and was down to just 13 - 24 Fps. Just a few Fps lower and the game would have been a photo.

Edited by Jackdaniels

forgive my noobness, but how do u check the fps on A2?

Google a program called "fraps", Install it and run it before you start the game.

Also, you say you have the game running smooth without testing the Fps - LOL

Edited by Jackdaniels

FRAPS of if you have ATI you can turn it on in the Catalyst control panel I beleive.

You don't really need to test for fps, especially when fraps has been known to give false values. Best to use the old eyes to check how smooth it's running, although you can use a script built into arma to test fps, but cant remember what it is

You don't really need to test for fps, especially when fraps has been known to give false values. Best to use the old eyes to check how smooth it's running, although you can use a script built into arma to test fps, but cant remember what it is

Bullfrogs - My game has been running like crap since day one. My eyes were the first thing to see just how bad the game played. I then used Fraps to confirm that it was the Fps that were crap. Please don't start blaming fraps now it's a good enough program for most gamers.

Edited by Jackdaniels

Was this suppose to be a serious statement ?

"try ridding your pc of all the crap on it first"

every pc gamer should religiously know how to clean out the crap, and tweak their rigs. This should be an unwritten law by now. But amazingly enough, many still just buy the rig prebuilt, and expect it to wail when it comes to games.

I'm not saying not to use Fraps, just that you can't tell someone that you can't tell a game is smooth without using fraps. If you use fraps and it says 20fps but you aren't getting a semi-slideshow then fraps is obviously wrong, but if you can't tell if your game is smooth or not without fraps then you probably need to play more games.

I'm not saying not to use Fraps, just that you can't tell someone that you can't tell a game is smooth without using fraps. If you use fraps and it says 20fps but you aren't getting a semi-slideshow then fraps is obviously wrong, but if you can't tell if your game is smooth or not without fraps then you probably need to play more games.

What you're doing is guess-timating. Least with FRAPS you get some DATA back. Plus i believe the human eye can't see the difference after 25 FRPS anyway.

Human eye can technically detect up to 100 fps (depends on the person), but anyone can detect to at least 40 fps. 25fps, while technically fine for tv, is extremely noticable whilst interacting with the game.

This is why I tell people to use their eyes, because I've seen many posts stating that their game is running smooth as butter but fraps is showing 25fps. I'm not saying it's a jerkfest at 25fps but it is noticable and not smooth.

I bought a brand new system to play this game (crazy as it sounds) and I confirm that my PC is not "full of crap". :D

I get lots of CTD and I alike many other fellow gamers have tried everything and everything to make this game run better and more stable.

In the end we just have to wait for BI to release patches to make the game more stable so we can enjoy it better.

(Strange how in the menu screen when your rotating around the carrier with the maximum rez of my 26" monitor I get between 100-200fps, but in game I fluctate between 10-50fps depending where I am in the game world)

:eek: