Sign in to follow this  
Devilchaser

Problems not fixed in 1.30

I've also noticed a fair amount of serious issues are still not fixed. Yes, 1.30 is an improvement, but it has been played up as this "uberpatch" and it is not. It adds more than it corrects. Here are some serious issues NOT corrected:

1. Machinegunners always shoot above vehicles

2. Tank gunners fire over Jeeps and UAZs (possible other vehicles too)

3. Empty vehicles still cause AI units to attack them, and with the above problems the AI will waste gobs of ammunition trying to destroy an empty vehicle it can't even hit.

4. Tank gunners do not get the RADAR their commanders do. WHy is this important? Because the commander gives the simple order "attack tank" and does NOT tell what direction, etc. THe direction is only specified when a unit is first noticed.

5. Tank gunners do not notify commanders when a round is reloaded. Yes there is an indicator but in combat you need to be looking out the gunsight.

6. At long ranges, AI units choose to fire automatic weapons while standing and use burst mode in their rifles. A complete waste of ammunition.

7. At least in my version, there is no LGB model.

8. The A-10 dies by being shot by a SHilka for less than a second. Is this the most combat survivable aircraft in the world?

9. There is no AP round option for the Bradley.

10. THere are still serious one-way transparency issues with building and vehicle windows.

11. The grenade launcher sights are pointless and do not use an angled camera to facilitate aiming.

12. The G36a rifle has an offset crosshair.

13. Enemies are still locating targets and accurately shooting them through dense cover. I have noticed an improvement from 1.29, but I have also experienced these problems in 1.30.

14. "Heal at Medic" is mixed in with all the options, never on the very top, so in the heat of combat you must search through all your options before sending a teammate to the medic.

15. Medics do not automatically try to heal wounded soldiers. AI soldiers are not able to call for a medic on their own.

16. AI still responds very poorly to sniper fire, sometimes completely ignoring it.

17. Etc...

Also, here are links to some bug-example missions I have made available.

http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com/devilchaser/bug_example2.zip

http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com/devilchaser/bug_mission.zip

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=19&topic=1185

So, I won't say 1.30 wasn't an improvement. It most definitely was. And I'm very grateful. But, honestly, there is much more work to do and I expected more out of it.

Since the ultimate upgrade wasn't scheduled until December, I really hope that there is another patch in the works. OPF is much better now, but a ship with less leaks is still a leaky ship.

(Edited by Devilchaser at 12:48 am on Nov. 15, 2001)

may I add a few more.

>AT3 missile still not visiable on the BMP's launch rail

>Hellfires (Visual Model) are missing from AH64

>BRDM's armour settings are incorrect

Just a few more until I play 1.3 a bit more.

I have been seeing the Hellfires, and I have also noticed them leaving the helicopter as they are fired.

I don't see the hellfires. I did a clean install (1.0>1.20>1.30) with all addons removed.

Also will mention here that the M113 and M113 Vulcan HUDs are empty except for the ammo count.

anyone noticed a clock direction bug, meaning sometimes they show up , sometimes they doesnt ?

or is it just me ?

The Mortar loading animation is missing...

I just give "reload mortar" command and the mortar immediately shows up in the gun. After shooting it does not return to the m16 mode and there's no option in the menu to do so. I had to reload m16 mag to be able to shoot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Dvst on 6:51 pm on Nov. 15, 2001

anyone noticed a clock direction bug, meaning sometimes they show up , sometimes they doesnt ?

or is it just me ?

<span id='postcolor'>

I get that also now and then, thought it was my graphics problem... but im not alone..

(Edited by Vegabond at 8:17 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)

Another Bug i mentioned with 1.30 (Clean Install -> 1.10 -> 1.20 -> 1.30):

The Sound (using HW+EAX [sBLive! 5.1]) gets more and more dizzy especially when driving with many trucks/tanks. Hitting ESCAPE and then returning to the game resolves the Problem for a short time. Maybe some soundbuffer problem?

Athlon1.2; 512 MB RAM; GeForce2GTS 32SDR; SBLive! 5.1; WindowsXP Professional; Newest Drivers

I think the sound is a major problem in this game when EAX is enabled. It eats up power and kills frame rates, not to mention giving a headache. Too bad.

The Blackhawk helicopter will sometimes decide to land 200-500M from a helipad with a waypoint on it for no apparent reason. It does not happen every time, but enough that it could screw up the realism in a mission. Any units told to board the Blackhawk will go ahead and run out to its new landing site and board, but this really shouldn't happen.

I do have a few barrels around the helipad, so I will try moving them further away from the "H" to see if that affects anything with the Blackhawk and landing in the right place. This behaviour can be seen with the invisible "H" as well.

I have also noticed that when my friends and I play on my home network, client computers seem to crash more often than not during co-op play. This usually occurs when the mission is over and the server tries to go back to the player selection screen. The computers will lock-up completely at times, other times task manager can be used to kill the game without rebooting the OS.

Server - PIII 650 w/256MB PC100, GeForce 2MX 64MB Hercules, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio, Addtron 10/100 NIC AEF320TX, Win98 (not SE), latest drivers for everything.

Client #1 - PII450 w/256MB PC100, TNT2 Pro 32MB, SoundBlaster (16-bit), Addtron 10/100 NIC AEF320TX, Win98 (not SE), latest drivers for everything.

Client #2 - PII450 w/196MB PC100, TNT 16MB, SoundBlaster (16-bit), Addtron NE2000 compatible 10Mbps, Win98 (not SE), latest drivers for everything.

I plan to replace the network card on client #2 with an Addtron AEF-320TX to match the others. I'm concerned that the difference in network speed between clients and server may be part of the cause of these crashes. These machines are connected to a 100Mbps switch, although I can't remember the details for it at this time.

Hey Devil Chaser, love your missions, I see a real lack of FP 1985 "crew" posting here, BIS, a total lack thereof.

This game needs a serious overhaul, not just on the engine, also the AI, I don't need to go into detail because quite frankly alot of this s**t is right infront of BIS's faces if only they would read it.

[edit] Oh, one bug not on this post, in any vehicle with a weapon, in third person, your aim is ALWAYS off, about 3m up per 20m, that MIGHT be the IA problem. MIGHT.

(Edited by KillorLive at 10:12 pm on Nov. 24, 2001)

I found that in 1.3 when flying the chinook, if I'm pitching forward and try to turn it turns extremely fast. Also found that if I hold the alt key and use keyboard to fly (I like doing this so I can always look around) I can't control the craft as easily as in prev. ver's. of the game.

I would just like to add that the bis team probly know about alot of these bugs, but the sh*t takes time to figure out solutions to and programming ain't always easy. Just have some patience fullas. This game's still pretty new and the bugs will be sorted in time. I just can't wait for pt 2 and some new bugs. Still this IS the best game I've ever played. A huge step in the right direction.

Thanx to bis and cm for a great non-risk experience.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Devilchaser on 1:42 am on Nov. 15, 2001

7. At least in my version, there is no LGB model.

<span id='postcolor'>

Devilchaser, you're the first one I've heard report this for a clean install of OFP 1.30.

Did you upgrade from a 1.2x beta version? That will cause this problem.

Assuming the install is clean, If you remove all addons from the ADDONS folder, do you then see the LGBs?

I want to add to the bug list an M21 scope magnification reset bug I reported on this thread.

I've since deleted the pics but all you need to do is create a mission with player as a West sniper. Bring up your scope site, magnify it to maximum, switch to binocs and switch back to scope. You'll see that the scope's magnification has been reset and is no longer on the last magnification adjustment you made.

In the Campaign game, in the Pathfinder Mission, it gets stuck. I'm the only one alive and all mission objectives are complete except "Seize Chapoi." All enemies are dead and I can walk all over Chapoi, but it won't end the mission.

Ok, back to report on some changes I made and their effects.

I deleted the game from all of my computers (home LAN) and then reinstalled U.S. version 1.20 from scratch on all machines. I then installed the 1.30 uber-patch on all machines and guess what? Most of my previous problems are gone, especially those concerning multiplay and crashing. It still happems now and then, but with far less frequently than before. There is much improvement in the net code.

The helo landing problem still happens occasionally, but it too seems to happen much less frequently.

Otherwise, I think 1.30 is a huge improvement and I'm glad to have it! Thanks BIS and Codemasters!!

Cantata

Just to note, there is an announcement that there will be another patch this December. We can all hope!