Sign in to follow this  
longers

a basic editing question

how do i go about practicing cas and artillery strikes on targets ? for example say im a soldier how do i give him the option to call in air strikes on targets ? i know he needs a laser targeter thingy and a plane in the sky but how do i actually set this up in the editor so i can simply call in air strikes at will on whatever target i want ? infact how do i even decide what gear i want my soldier to have ?

thanks for the quick response, really can't be arsed to have to deal with scripting... got no interest in taking things that far no matter how good the results could be... im here to play a game not spend hours doing scripting.

so i guess i will try it the easy way, how exactly do i group the two together ?

You can use the SOM module and use a trigger to give you all the options repeadetly. This gives you the option to call for airstrikes that depends on you lasing the targets, and it gives you the option to call in artillery plus getting support like calling in ammo/vehicle dropped with parachutes, and "air taxi" to take you wherever you want.

I cant post the example mission right now and i dont know the trigger line from the top of my head, but i promise i host an example mission with it when i get home later today. This is easy when you know how to do. Takes less than 5 minutes to setup. ARMA2 rocks in that way.

EDIT: This way you radio for whatever you need. ;) Very nice stuff. And it gives you random missions so you get to use all these options in the small missions randomlly created. You can also turn the missions off with a command and place out tanks by yourself if thats more what you had in mind. Everything is possible.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

ok i got the grouping sorted (you just drag a line connecting them yes ?)

i've got it working, was just wondering what is the deal with the laser designator, how long do you have to lase the target for ? do you just look at it and click once or do you have to hold click and hold the designator there until you see the explosion ? also how many bombs does the plane drop, just the 1 or does it make multiple passes on the target ?

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

You can use the SOM module and use a trigger to give you all the options repeadetly. This gives you the option to call for airstrikes that depends on you lasing the targets, and it gives you the option to call in artillery plus getting support like calling in ammo/vehicle dropped with parachutes, and "air taxi" to take you wherever you want.

I cant post the example mission right now and i dont know the trigger line from the top of my head, but i promise i host an example mission with it when i get home later today. This is easy when you know how to do. Takes less than 5 minutes to setup. ARMA2 rocks in that way.

EDIT: This way you radio for whatever you need. ;) Very nice stuff. And it gives you random missions so you get to use all these options in the small missions randomlly created. You can also turn the missions off with a command and place out tanks by yourself if thats more what you had in mind. Everything is possible.

Alex

sounds good, def post up the mission :)

Sounds good :) I just tried the first example and it worked really well, damned effective pilots, I like!

The LD you click once to turn it on and again to turn it off. Click once and aim at something close and you see the red dot. Unfortunatelly it doesnt have range or any info that tells you its on - maybe later in patch or def in an addon.

But if you have an AI flying a jet with LGB's in your squad or not in your squad its the same procedure. Just turn it on and keep lasing the target. With an AI in your group you can always select that AI and then press one of the buttons that deals with known targets (button 2 or 3 - sorry dont remember. im at work heh). Do this after you lased for a couple of seconds and youll see when chosing your AI pilot and then hit button for targets that there is a "LASER DESIGNATOR TARGET" available. Click it and your AI will obey and come in for a drop. If he is too close he will fly over and then turn around. Just keep lasing and he will smash the target to bits. ;)

This also works with a AI not in your group. Just add a flying AI jet with LGB's flying over the area with the target - start lasing and wait.

EDIT: Mission example coming later. You can use it as template and build on it.

Alex

Ok here is a simple example mission. You get info upon start how to activate the support. 2 inactive tanks sit a bit away from you that you can practise on. You can add or remove if you want. But you will get random missions coming as well after a little while (it needs some time to kick in).

Link: Example mission

Unpack into:

C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Missions

or

C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\My Documents\ArmA 2\Missions

depending if you made a new profile or not.

EDIT: Argh sorry for 2xPost... Should know better. :o

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Thanks Alex iv'e been having a lot of fun playing around and editing your mission. :)

i have put the mission in the folder mentioned, but can't work out how to access it, anyone able to help ?

pls can someone answer the above question ?

Not got the mission but you could try opening it from within the editor. Should work.