Sign in to follow this  
Tincup

Sniper Realism Suggestions....

Over the years I have played many shooters, and the one thing I have noticed that all military shooters had in common was the inability to implement a true scout sniper system. Lets put the designated marksman aside and talk about the hidden sniper and spotter team for a moment. Due to graphical limitations, it has been nearly impossible in the past to offer a game that has the draw distance needed that would allow for a true scout sniper team. Sure there are plenty of games that have snipers in them, but they are easily spotted, and most games have a draw distance of much less that 500 meters which puts them in range of many assault rifles. The snipers shooting range and the ability to blend into his/her's environment is their greatest tools, without the use of this tools they become just another soldier. ARMA 2 is really close to having a great system. The movement of the sniper is great, the ghillie is great, the one thing that chops the legs out from under the sniper is that grass and small foilage stops being drawn at a certain distance. This leaves the sniper easily exposed to enemy that have any form of optics, whether it be scopes or binoculars. So when the enemy uses these optics the sniper looks to be laying in plain view without cover.

The one thing I noticed is that when you are peering through you scope or binoculars, your frame rate rises dramatically. So why not render the grass when people are using these optics? This would allow for the sniper to use cover effectively without increasing the load to the pc. So while unscoped you have the same grass and foliage draw distance as you do now, but when you zoom or use optics, the grass would be rendered within those optics, almost like a mini display. This would make the game more realistic from a snipers point of view.

The only other thing I would implement is true spotter position that could range targets and communicate that information to the shooter. Also add elevation adjustment to sniper rifles, so once you have the needed range from your spotter, you can make the adjustment. I know there are many fans that would love to see elevation, MOA, wind drift, and the whole nine yards implemented. I am fine with that too, but lets be realistic here. If that is the case a training tutorial would need to be offered in game because most gamers do not have knowledge of mildot systems and methods like it for finding a targets range, and they are unaware of what all comes into play when shooting at a ranges over 1000 meters.

I am sure some of these subjects have been touched on at some point in time. If so and I missed it, I apologize for making another thread. These are just some ideas I had, maybe a few of you will agree. This may be something that will have to be addressed in a mod/addon such as ACE 2. Either way, I would love to have these features.

I do have one other question, was the draw distance adjusted in one of the patches? I don't seem to be able to spot a target over 900 meters with my rifle scope, and I have the draw distance maxed out.

Thanks,

Tincup

Edited by Tincup

About the draw distance.

I think it will be updated yes because it destroys so much as it is now. Just setting the UAV up and your not able to use it at all as you cant see a tank without having to come into firing range. As soon as you see the tank - the tank know the UAV is there and fires at you. so there is no real use of a UAV yet thanks to that.

So there is more than just sniping etc connected to this, and since ArmA1 had much longer draw distance i hope ARMA2 will get that too in a patch.

Alex

I guess the draw distance thing was set back until they get some of the bugs worked out. There are a lot of people with good gaming machines, getting horrible frame rates. I am looking forward to the next patch.

.... add elevation adjustment to sniper rifles, so once you have the needed range from your spotter, you can make the adjustment. ...

This!!

As soon as you can, pleeeasee :pray:

Here you go: http://battlegroundsims.com/index.php/2009/05/vbs2-simulation-marksman-mk1/ :)

But seriously, elevation adjustment would be an awesome mod. Personally, I think BIS could just leave that alone, they have much more serious things on their plate at the moment, but an elevation adjustment mod would be very cool, Kju or someone of that skill set would be able to get something like this going I bet.