Sign in to follow this  
GunnDawg09

Question about nHancer

Would turning AA and AF to DISABLED in the game, and setting them to a desirable setting in nHancer be a good idea? (for nVidia users obviously). Or just set them up in the game and forget about nHancer?

So I ran a test disabling AA and AF in-game and using nHancer to run these, and here are my results.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core @ 2.30GHz

4GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz RAM

Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512mb

Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

nHancer settings(global):

Enhancements:

Anti Aliasing - Combined 32xS

Anisotropic Filtering - 16X

Vertical Sync - ON

Ambient Occlusion - OFF

Optimizations:

Texture Filtering - High Performance(though I didnt see much diff if I set it to High Quality)

Trilinear Optimization - OFF

Aniso. sample Optimization - OFF

Negative LOD BIAS - Allow

Force DXT3 - OFF

After setting nHancer with those settings and disabling AA and AF in-game, mixed with High/Very High settings, I believe I saw a performance increase, as well as graphical(probably due to being able to jack up the settings).

So anyone with an Nvidia card, feel free to mess around with nHancer and report your findings as well.

Appreciate the info, but I think it would only be of use if you let us know the actual framerate (min/max/mean) before and after the use of nHancer.

It's too easy to mistakenly perceive a performance increase if you are expecting one. What's more, if you had modified the graphical settings as well, that would also introduce more variables which would affect your results.

I suggest viewing the same scene in-game with and without using nHancer and recording the framerate, without modifying any of the in-game graphics settings.

Well I apologize if what information I was able to provide is useless, I guess you can delete the topic.

I just figured what little information I have gathered so far would be of use to people.

It's not that it's useless, just needs more data to explain the results.

Why do you turn AF off? I have much worse system but AF doesnt affect me much at all. At least leave it at NORMAL as it looks horrible without it. :)

I got AMD X2 6000+ 3.1ghz, 8800GTS 320MB, 2GB 800mhz DDR2 and i run all NORMAL with AF=HIGH, AA=OFF(sometimes NORMAL/HIGH depends what i do), PP=OFF/LOW.

The only really bad thing is that i run it at 1024x768, but with fraps on Chernarus in missions i run it between 30-65-100FPS. Usually most of the time i got 45FPS and fights in towns/forest is 30-40 with drops seldom to 25 (under 30 its real sluggish and not fun to play even but luckily its not often this happens).

So im happy with the performance, but unhappy with the resolution. Buying a 4890 as a first measure and a quad later on. Hoping the 4890 will scare the game up to 1280X1024 at least. Well see.

Alex

Well I apologize if what information I was able to provide is useless, I guess you can delete the topic. I just figured what little information I have gathered so far would be of use to people.

It's not useless, but it is what I'd call preliminary findings. It's a starting point. Your evaluation of the use of nHancer in increasing Arma 2 performance does require further data for validation.

You have a hypothesis, that nHancer increases the performance and possibly the graphical quality of Arma 2. However, your data is exploratory in nature and has not taken several controllable variables into account. Therefore, any subsequent testing performed (if you so feel inclined) should take these variables into account, as well as provide a quantitative measure of any performance gain.

I'd like to hear/read more about NHancer and Arma2......

Any updates on this?

double post

Edited by CaptRio

Why do you turn AF off? ...

Alex

at high res, 16/12,19,12 ect, AF off is as much as 15fps, But yeah its not to pretty with it off.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

So I ran a test disabling AA and AF in-game and using nHancer to run these, and here are my results.

nH....

need screens to see if AF is working, and AA is working. You turn off those in game and you will get some performance. but it will be jaggie ect, what as your fillrate during the test?

I can confirm that disabling AA and AF ingame, and forcing them in NHANCER give pretty good performance boost!!!

I have a C2D 7400 @ 3.30, GTS 250 and 4GB DDR