Sign in to follow this  
cartier90

Running / Sprint / Walk speed ?

Im guessing walking5mph, running12mph, you should be ok, you wont get speed ticket unless your riding a cow, :)

well actually.......,

Edited by cartier90

It is something ridiculously fast, especially considering how you never tire out (sure your sprint slows eventually, but your jog never gets slower). General Barron did the math at one point (in OFP/VBS2 for sure, and possibly Arma1) and it came out to some ludicrous numbers (Olympic level sprinting, speed walking etc). Never the less it works for the game. After the weekend when he gets home I'll ask him if he still has the paper/posting he did, or where it can be found.

My guess is that infantry speeds have not changed much since OFP.

Hadn't tried any of the other games with the engine. I agree in Arma 2 the jogging does seem fast, but the walking feels like it's not so fast for someone that isn't "walking because he's lazy". Walking should be at least 6 KM/H, feels less in game though I could be wrong.

I wish they'd have a slower jog that lets you keep your weapon up (with more sway than walking), either as an option or as a replacement to the current jog which is already almost as fast as sprinting anyway.

I tested it bt getting a unit to run a mile - 4 min 48 - thats quick !

A mile or a KM? 1 square on the map is 1KM, not 1 mile AFAIK.

Oh I know....tested by sniper 'laser' distance to object on end of runway 1609m

Actually - testing again - straighter course - 5m 22seconds for 1 mile - a good running speed - realistic with gear on ??? other time i guestimated by taking time off for going over fences - didnt run on airport first time.

Edited by cartier90

Test Setup

100m distance on flat runway terrain with West Rifleman, timed using in-game watch.

Speed in km/h is calculated as (100m/T) x (3.6) rounded to nearest tenth.

Test Results

Standing

Sprinting: 14s (25.7 km/h)

Running, Weapon Lowered: 19s (18.9 km/h) 3m10s for 1 km

Walking, Weapon Lowered: 60s (6.0 km/h) 10m for 1 km

Running, Weapon Sighted: 40s (9.0 km/h)

Walking, Weapon Sighted: 60s (6.0 km/h)

Crouching

Running, Weapon Lowered: 23s (15.7 km/h)

Walking, Weapon Lowered: 84s (4.3 km/h)

Running, Weapon Sighted: 140s (2.6 km/h)

Walking, Weapon Sighted: 140s (2.6 km/h)

Prone

Running: 105s (3.4 km/h)

Walking: 198s (1.8 km/h)

Edited by Frederf

Fred could you do one with walking scoped?

You mean Crouching, Sighted? It's the same whether in run or walk mode.

Abstract:

Standing

Sprinting average over 1 Km is 18.7 Km/h

Running with weapon lowered: Average over 1 Km is 18.2 Km/h

Running with weapon raised: Constant over 1 Km is 8.94781 Km/h

Walking with weapon lowered: Constant over 100m is 6 Km/h

Walking with weapon raised: Constant over 100m is 6 Km/h

Crouched

Running while crouched and with weapon lowered: Constant over 100m is 13.0612 Km/h

Running while crouched and with weapon raised: Constant over 100m is 4.50543 Km/h

Walking while crouched and with weapon lowered: Constant over 100m is 4.68543 Km/h

Walking while crouched and with weapon raised: Constant over 100m is 4.68543 Km/h

Crawling

Crawling in run mode: Constant over 100m is 3.41465 Km/h

Crawling in walk mode: Constant over 100m is 1.80602 Km/h

Mission used:

Tests done over 100m and 1km, by logging results every second into the rpt file, using a trigger start line which starts a clock and ends the clock at the trigger finish line 1 Km away and is accurate to 1 second. Then the results are put into log files usable by Gnuplot. Graphs done by Gnuplot. Arma 2 OA 1.60 and Ace 1.13 and the ACE stamina system is used. here is theMission used. The mission is started behind the start line, however the clock begins after the start line. The character used is an ACE US Marine

Errors:

I have not done any error calculations. However the logging refresh rate was 1 second, and the distance zero error is given by: sqrt(A^2 + 3.5^2) - A, Where A is the true distance from the start line, and 3.5m is the maximum zero error when next to the measured point. So in all distances used, this error is negligible.

Only one set of experiments was done due to time contraints.

Test results:

All tests done with a 10Kg load.

The first column in the raw data files is time since crossing the start line, the second is speed and the third is the distance measured from a game object on the starting line.

Graphs are provided and the average calculated when the speed is not constant. Where constant, the speed is given directly from the Arma 2 "speed" function.

Sprinting:

Average over 1 Km is 18.7 Km/h (to 3SF)

source

sprint_10kg_vel.png

sprint_10kg_disp.png

Standing:

Running with weapon lowered: Average over 1 Km is 18.2 Km/h (to 3SF)

source

run_wl_10kg_vel.png

run_wl_10kg_disp.png

Running with weapon raised: Constant over 1 Km is 8.94781 Km/h

source

Walking with weapon lowered: Constant over 100m is 6 Km/h

source

Walking with weapon raised: Constant over 100m is 6 Km/h

source

Crouched:

Running while crouched and with weapon lowered: Constant over 100m is 13.0612 Km/h

source

Running while crouched and with weapon raised: Constant over 100m is 4.50543 Km/h <-- Anomalous. Double checked, running is slower than walking.

source

Walking while crouched and with weapon lowered: Constant over 100m is 4.68543 Km/h

source

Walking while crouched and with weapon raised: Constant over 100m is 4.68543 Km/h

source

Prone:

Crawling in run mode: Constant over 100m is 3.41465 Km/h

source

Crawling in walk mode: Constant over 100m is 1.80602 Km/h

source

Comparison of sprinting versus running with weapon lowered:

Here the character is ran/sprinted until collapse, and the point of collapse is used as the end of the test. The finish trigger is removed.

Sprinter collapses at 1335m (approximate according to raw data, no error calculated)

source

Runner collapses at 1290m (approximate according to raw data, no error calculated)

source

sprint_vs_run.png

Zoomed in at collapse:

sprint_vs_run_zoomed.png

Conclusions:

What is surprising is that according to the above results, the runner never catches up to the sprinter, and in fact collapses before the the character who sprinted does.

I can run another experiment with varying weights if there is sufficient demand for it, and also the effect of gradient, although finding a map with a slope of constant gradient with sufficient length may be unlikely, short of making my own map (alot more work).

Edited by PH03NIX-ZA
  • Thanks 1

You guys have waaay to much time on your hands :rolleyes:

Btw, if its not said already there is actually two different walk speeds when you you are aiming down the sights. Normal and slower. Change em by hitting the walk run key.