Sign in to follow this  
hoak

Windowed Mode Performance Boost 4 Nvidia

I know this has been documented casually elsewhere, but I'm running a middling system: Intel Core 2 Duo E6859 @ 3Ghz, Nvidia 8800 Ultra, using a very clean installation of Server 2003 with the current 186.18 Nvidia driver, and March DirectX 9 distro...

What's so surprising is I can barely make the game chug out frame rates in the teens running full-screen, even using a lower resolution of 1152*864 (my display will go to 1280*1024) with minimal settings; yet taking the game out of view port into windowed mode at the same resolution of 1152*864 I can max nearly every game setting and almost never see my frame rate go below 60!

I believe technically the game should perform better in view-port then windowed -- but the difference is stunning. This suggests to me there's some issue with ArmA II, DirectX and the Nvidia Driver(s), and may explain the abysmal performance others with Nvidia hardware close to the generation I'm using are complaining about.

For now this might be a nice work-around for anyone with Nvidia hardware that's seeing frame rates of the slide-show variety that are totally frustrated; for the uninitiated go into the game and do the following:

1) Set both render and drawn resolution a step or two below your actual display resolution (make sure they match) and exit the game.

2) Edit your shortcut that launches ArmA 2 as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -window

3) Launch the game and you may notice a dramatic performance improvement that may let you substantially raise your game render settings.

I notice that when run this way ArmA 2 no longer offers the 'Fillrate' option in-game so all these issues may in turn relate to Fillrate scaling in software in front of DirectX causing some kind of performance hit even when it's not being used.

In any case it's one way to get one good looking and perfroming outcome on my system... Post here if it helps you...

:confused:

Edited by Hoak

fillrate is still in game ...

interface resolution = ur screen resolution

3D resolution = Fillrate Resolution (it even as the % near each resolution)

Yes, I know, but when I do the steps above, 3D Resolution disappears (is not in the interface) when run in Windowed mode... I'm just calling it what it is, some that may not have applied the patch may not know.

:j:

i tried it too. and i do get a (slight) frame rate increase in the editor... MP however is unaffected..

and now i know what you mean. instead of the resolution you see "Windowed".

if you want to change the window size just resize it like you resize any window :) select a corner and drag it.

No real difference for me, a fraction faster maybe 2% but the resolution is lower so that could account for that.

Usually though running in Windowed mode is like a slide show, this will help when editing.

Mc Speedfreak;1338124']if you want to change the window size just resize it like you resize any window :) select a corner and drag it.

Yes, I know, thank you...

I don't see this performance difference in the 1.00, just 1.02, and it's huge, more then 4x my view port frame rate when run in a window of identical resolution...

I looked rather carefully at the config files to see if anything was being altered by running in window mode, but there's nothing there that accounts for it...

:butbut: