Sign in to follow this  
second_draw

Enemy ai?

I just want to know what ppl thought of the enemy AI. This is reallyan issue in single player missions. Unfortunately this is no "common sense" variable for bis to employ ( sad.gif ). I just want to know you views & what you can do with the AI in the missions.

eg. In black op mission, I find that sometimes enemy ignore comrades dead around them

they don't seem to bother with the dead bodies, i wonder what the hide body function's for, i mean they can walk right on top of the dead bodies and still have their guns at their backs. but i think the AI in OFP is a lot better than most other games

I don't think i have ever seen a game which lets the AI recognise that the other guard or somebody like that is "missing". But at least it (OFP stealth AI) ain't nothing at all like Red faction.

OFP has the best AI I've seen. I was sneaking around an enemy base and one dude THINK he saw someone where I was hiding. So he got his gun prepared and sneaked over to the spot. Meanwhile I had hidden myself in a bush about 20-30 meters away. The guard and his teammate was now standing LOOKING at the spot I was at before, like some guarddog trying to catch a smell, then they began searching the surrounding area and in the end they gave up, put their riffles back on their shoulders and resumed patrol. Now I tried firing my riffle and this time it only took them 1-2 seconds to figure out where I was.

I think often we don't really notice how clever the AI is, because we just shoot at them right away and they start shooting back.

Just try playing with the GUARD waypoint and you'll notice how scaringly real the enemy can behave. They will try to flank you, surround you, etc. If they don't know where you are, they'll patrol around sniffing for suspicious stuff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (second_draw @ Mar. 11 2002,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think i have ever seen a game which lets the AI recognise that the other guard or somebody like that is "missing". But at least it (OFP stealth AI) ain't nothing at all like Red faction.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not completely sure, but didn't Rainbow Six have that in the recon missions? At least if they saw an open door when it wasn't supposed to be open.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just try playing with the GUARD waypoint and you'll notice how scaringly real the enemy can behave. They will try to flank you, surround you, etc. If they don't know where you are, they'll patrol around sniffing for suspicious stuff.<span id='postcolor'>

Can you tell me how that works? Place triggers like "Guarded by East" and then the guys who have a WP "guard" will walk around these "guarded" triggers? I am right? Please correct..

To put it simply, placing a "Guarded by X" trigger will make that trigger's location (point, not area) become an objective for any groups on side X that have reached a GUARD waypoint. The closest such group will move to the trigger, even across a whole island.

There is some higher-level AI to determine who goes to which trigger, but I don't know the exact rules.

Any enemies near the "Guarded by X" trigger will be attacked, and the guarding group will move to support any friendlies under attack in the nearby area. When all is clear they'll return to the trigger location again.

All right, thanks man..

What if there are many of such guarded triggers?

Do the guards stick to one of them or patrol around?

(At least I have experienced that they just guard one trigger)

Someone guarding a "Guarded by X" trigger will move to its exact location and wait there - forever, unless you specifically switch-trigger to a following waypoint.

Groups always seem to pick the closest trigger when they decide which one to go to. Also, if you have three groups at three triggers and one of the groups are killed, one of the two other groups (whichever is closest) will move to the vacant "Guarded by X" trigger, even if it means leaving its current position at a trigger. This could in turn mean that the third group will go to the trigger left by group two, so you'd get a domino effect.

I should probably mention that this is just stuff I've observed during testing, and I've also seen other stuff happen that makes me believe that it ain't as simple as it may seem. And until someone from BIS drops in to tell us the Truth, speculations and testing is all we've got.