Sign in to follow this  
savage_rabbit

"Cannot Commit" Crash When Saving the Game

Very often when my game is saving (while playing the cooperative campaign), it crashes and gives me the error "cannot commit."

Don't know what to do about it, just thought I'd put it out there, and see if anyone has any suggestions. It's about to force me to quit playing it's so frustrating.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Wow.

I just tried to play some more. A couple of saves saved properly. But the person I'm playing with reports lots of odd graphical glitches and that my character is running in place a lot of the time. There is no sign of a poor connection between our computers. Then the game just crashed spontaneously with no error message this time.

The cooperative campaign is literally unplayable. For a $50 game this is outrageous.

Yes, this is happening alot and makes the game almost unplayable all the other little bugs such as missing textures are not a big deal but bugs about saves can ruin a days worth of work in the coop campaign.

I went out and spent ££££ on a new PC and I get the same message alot.... This really ruins the Singleplayer game....Multiplayer is fine, just random crashes every few hours or so...but I hope Bohemia is "committed" to fixing the "Cannot Commit" error. (lol)

Hope we get a new patch soon....Awsome Game!!! :D

My suggestion would be to make sure you don't have any read only files or folders in your documents/arma 2 directory and make sure you have full access permissions and ownership on that folder.

If you are logged in on an administrative account try enabling administrator account (actual administrator, not an account with admin access)

under windows vista, goto command prompt and type. "net user administrator /active:yes" without quotes, then log out then log in as administrator and see if you still get the problem. Keep in mind that this is a different profile so you won't have your old save games here, and you may even need to reinstall arma 2

Hey Bulldogs,

I'm getting this problem too, but I don't think it's a problem with adminitrator settings as it this were the case it would happen every time I tried to save a game.

I've had it happen now when I manually try to save, and when the game automatically saves.

If any files or folders are read only in the arma2 directories then this is how the game installed them.

I don't really want to start editing security policies as I don't think games require it.

I think it is a bug of the game rather than anything that is wrong on any particular system.

And I too love the game, just needs some kinks ironing out!

This is by far my single most game breaking bug. I can play for a while, save the game at a crucial point then it crashes. When I try to re-load and continue I get the cannot load from saved game blah blah blah message and Im screwed. If I revert back to the mission start I lose all saved games.

On a side note, I have to say the number of game breaking bugs in this game is just shocking. No wonder gamers are slowly migrating to console. None of this BS with a console game. Stick in the disk, switch on and play!

This game is simply a paid beta!

Same problem here. Running the steam release on Win7 build 7100. Once again not a peep out of BI...

The thing is, there may indeed be some kind of workaround, but in my opinion, especially where people are running a popular rig, nVidia or Ati cards, Vista/XP, blah, blah, blah.... we shouldn't have to try to tweak things to get basic functionality or to simply make it playable.

OK if someone has a really old rig, or something not mainstream I can understand it; but from what I can see everyone who is encountering problems at this stage has set ups with their software and hardware that are "normal" and still it's not working.

I'm playing (or trying to) the Dogs of War mission, sometimes my people won't move, sometimes there is a vehicle available, and then when I do load the mission up and try to get anywhere, it crashes when I try to save it.

It's highly frustrating and I wish someone from BI would say something, like acknowledge there's a problem and tell us there is a fix on the way, even if it's a couple of weeks away, but being left in the dark and not knowing if/when there will be a fix just makes things so much worse.

Rant over.

I get the error in the Dogs of War mission of the campaign.

A piece of my ArmA2.rpt file:

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\male01\cz\report\presun.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\male01\cz\report\presun.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Cannot commit

ErrorMessage: Cannot commit

Link to 9f26c688 (Obj-216,249:1672) not released

Link to a20794e2 (Obj-242,272:1250) not released

Link to 9622eb0c (Obj-93,177:780) not released

Started getting Cannot Commit errors with new patch. Top stuff

Started getting Cannot Commit errors with new patch. Top stuff

Yeah, me too. 1.03 brought sound cracking and save crashes. Plus I had a game crash when I entered Gorka for the first time (some buildings next to the church started to become all white and some glitches appeared and then it crashed; on a second try same buildings flashed white once or twice but the game pushed on; on subsequent loads all was ok).

this needs another bump. ive tried deleting my saved games, started the campaign over several times. still crashes on the first autosave attempt in the razor two mission.

i uninstalled and reinstalled arma2, patched to 1.03, and it still crashes on the first autosave attempt in the razor two mission. I am starting to get very frustrated.

this needs another bump. ive tried deleting my saved games, started the campaign over several times. still crashes on the first autosave attempt in the razor two mission.

i uninstalled and reinstalled arma2, patched to 1.03, and it still crashes on the first autosave attempt in the razor two mission. I am starting to get very frustrated.

There's no fix dude. I have the same problem as do countless others. No point stressing yourself over it. It's up to Bohemia to fix it now.

Since 1.03 ive got "cannot commit" crashes, in towns the massive white and black triangle texture crashes, and just random crashes.

I'm a WINNER. 3 types of crashes!!

There's no fix dude. I have the same problem as do countless others. No point stressing yourself over it. It's up to Bohemia to fix it now.

i hear ya brother. just stinks paying good money for something that doesn't work the way it was intended to.

so i went back to the deleting of saved games and i deleted the autosave after creating a backup, loaded the game, managed to create a manual save. later, it actually autosaved correctly. i exited the game, backed up the saves again, deleted the manual save, and loaded the autosave. then i created another manual save and deleted the autosave. when i didn't do this process it seemed to crash on the autosave. Nevertheless I was able to make progress in the mission which is somewhat exciting.

sure it's kind of a pain repeating the process over and over but i'll take it until 1.04.

i hear ya brother. just stinks paying good money for something that doesn't work the way it was intended to.

so i went back to the deleting of saved games and i deleted the autosave after creating a backup, loaded the game, managed to create a manual save. later, it actually autosaved correctly. i exited the game, backed up the saves again, deleted the manual save, and loaded the autosave. then i created another manual save and deleted the autosave. when i didn't do this process it seemed to crash on the autosave. Nevertheless I was able to make progress in the mission which is somewhat exciting.

sure it's kind of a pain repeating the process over and over but i'll take it until 1.04.

I found that using the -maxmem switch would cause that to happen. When I took it out, the "cannot commit" errors stopped.

Eth

I found that using the -maxmem switch would cause that to happen. When I took it out, the "cannot commit" errors stopped.

Eth

nice. i hope what you suggested works for somebody who reads this thread. unfortunately for me i am only using the stock exe with no other parameters. i found it unnecessary since my frame rates never dip below 24 fps according to fraps in urban and rural environments. im using a i7 920 core on an asus p6t deluxe v2, 6 gig pc-2000 ram, 2 gtx285's, 2 velociraptor black harddrives raid-0, i am running vista sp2, all stock configuration, no overclocking.

Weird, I just had 5 cannot commits in the last hour or so, trying to finish Dogs of War. Never had this error before today, hardware and software configs exactly the same.

Weird, I just had 5 cannot commits in the last hour or so, trying to finish Dogs of War. Never had this error before today, hardware and software configs exactly the same.

Maybe it's something that 1.03 has introduced. I haven't played the campaign since the game was released and I know at that time, in my case, it was related to the -maxmem switch.

Eth