Sign in to follow this  
Burrows

Screen Flickers...ATI 4850

So randomly when im playing the game starts flickering showing the effect as if taking off night vision with the sun up on and off. sometimes stays super bright for a couple seconds then starts flickering again.

im using Intel Q6600, 4 gigs DDR3 1333, 2x 4850 in crossfire, intel x38 mobo and windows XP 32-bit

any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:40 PM ----------

bump.

anyone have an idea?

Edited by Burrows

tried disable post processing in advaced video options?

i tried that before and didnt seem to work. tried it again. restart my game and it seems to have solved the problem. thanks a bunch

I also have an ATI 4850 and I also had flickering/artifacts issues at the begining.

But I solved my problem after updating my video card drivers. Previous I had the older Cat 8.11 version instaled but once I installed the most recent Cat 9.6 drivers my flickering/artifact problems disapeared.

im using the 9.6 drivers.

now im just annoyed at my game's performance. with my rig im pretty sure i should be able to handle this game on medium/high settings but i only get like 20-30 fps when i get in a server. any suggestions? i was under the impression that this game was much more optimized then arma 1 and could be run much better then arma 1 despite looking better

Edited by Burrows

does anyone have any idea about improving my frame rate? ive tried windowed mode, made it worst. fiddled with all the settings and got a couple more frames. im not exactly sure what to do.

bump. the game started flickering again and i havent changed a thing. i dont understand what could be causing this. anyone have a clue?

Hi Burrows,

The flickering issue is affecting a lot of people (like us) that have a ATI Chipset that includes 4850, 4870 since they are utilizing the same type of engine.

I have seen a lot of people stating the issue is due to a overheating problem which is a bunch of crap since it is only isolated to this game and a lot of people would have defective cards.

I like most of you have spent most of my weekend trying various things to determine what could resolve or stop the flickering. When running ARMA 2 in a windowed mode I do notice that it does not occur as often, you may want to also try this for the short term.

For the long term then BIS should stop expecting people like us to beta test their product. When I buy something (especially software) then I expect defects but not to this degree this is just poor quality and poor business ethics.

Im 4850 Sapphire Owner too.Got the same Problem.Its not often so its not that bad,but it really looks like a temp problem,however i got it only in arma2.Once i tried overclocking the card and i had the same white flicker problem,so it must be the problem..ATI Card Vents are crap anyway and i got over 1 year guarantee left,so if its broken i dont care.Maybe BI can look into that prob#!

no. it isnt heating. both my cards run at or around 55 C which is pretty damn good for an ATI card...

i am going to be trying some custom drivers no. hopefully that works.

I also tried custom drivers and they were not successful, the only thing that did help reduce the flickering was by running the game in a windowed mode.

Im buying 4870 or 4890 this week. The flickering doesnt sound good. Then again my friends with GTX2XX series have low FPS instead.

BIS is working on this. Just hope the fix comes soon.

I have a 4850 512mb using the 9.6 official drivers. I'm not sure what flickering you guys are talking about but in my case if I look at distant buildings the textures will flicker, is that what you mean?

I've never had that problem but then again I've only played the demo.

i figured out it is the Sun. something about it. but i noticed when it is a clear day this will happen (it always happens in the opening sequence at the menu. it stops when side of the LHD blocks the sun. comes back when the sun is visible again)

could a dev or someone look into this?

edit: azmothman. that is indeed what is happened. however it appears that in the video it flickers black however it flickers white for me.

Edited by Burrows

hmm. there seems to have been a small patch on steam yesterday and the flickering stopped. however now it randomly goes to effect as if you just took off NV at night time and it is insanely dark. fixes itself rather quickly but it seems to happen at random times.

what kind of performance are you getting smokin?